Wolfenstein 2 on Switch: can mobile hardware really run a cutting-edge shooter?

AbsolutSurgen

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Like doom, I think it’s really cool they did it, but unless you ONLY own a switch and have no plans to have another gaming machine, i just don’t see why you’d purchase this. Even for the mobility. 

Doom at least had multiplayer.  I could see that being a draw for portability, considering the competition at the time.

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Doom at least had multiplayer.  I could see that being a draw for portability, considering the competition at the time.

Yeah, but in DOOM's specific case the multiplayer is not really much of a draw, and even if it was pretty good  there are a lot better-optimized games to play multiplayer on the Switch. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah, but in DOOM's specific case the multiplayer is not really much of a draw, and even if it was pretty good  there are a lot better-optimized games to play multiplayer on the Switch. 

Now, there are.  Back then, it was basically just Splatoon and some indies.

46 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Now, there are.  Back then, it was basically just Splatoon and some indies.

Oh there was plenty. Rocket league was the same week, and arms and Mario kart were out. I won’t belabor it anymore, but I doubt the multiplayer of doom was selling a whole lot of copies. 

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Oh there was plenty. Rocket league was the same week, and arms and Mario kart were out. I won’t belabor it anymore, but I doubt the multiplayer of doom was selling a whole lot of copies. 

Splatoon was the only other shooter, technically.  If you wanted deathmatch on the go, it was a serviceable option.

Now that Fortnite, Paladins, etc are on Switch, there isn't as much of a niche to fill.

Jeff Bakalar on the Giant Beastcast said it looked damn good.

And from the Digital Foundry article:

But the proof of the pudding is once again in the tasting, and as a technological achievement, Wolfenstein 2 on Switch is even more miraculous than its predecessor.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-wolfenstein-2-switch-tech-analysis

1 hour ago, AndrewDean84 said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-wolfenstein-2-switch-tech-analysis

There's no getting around it - this really is a very blurry game.”

I found the game to be exceptionally blurry. Just like Doom before it, the strong temporal anti-aliasing and post-heavy effects pipeline eliminates the majority of the stair-step jaggies associated with low resolutions. Instead, you get a highly indistinct image that almost looks as if a depth of field effect is always active. 

Once you reach New Orleans, things start to take a dive. This is one of the most visually complex areas in the game and on Switch, the resolution dips very low and stays there throughout this section.”

The Beastcast team also commented on how bad the standard Switch controllers were for this game. 

2 hours ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Jeff Backalar is also the guy who could tell the difference between Red Dead Redemption at 720p vs 1080p vs 4k :p I don't take anything he says on a technical level seriously.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

Jeff Backalar is also the guy who could tell the difference between Red Dead Redemption at 720p vs 1080p vs 4k :p I don't take anything he says on a technical level seriously.

JB is very versed in tech like that and how it works. I think he’s just very realistic on his own perception of the differences. 

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I believe in that particular conversation he was saying you will not see a benefit on a regular XBone since Abbey was asking if she could play RDR and get the souped up visuals.

33 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I believe in that particular conversation he was saying you will not see a benefit on a regular XBone since Abbey was asking if she could play RDR and get the souped up visuals.

She was playing on Xbox S. So yes she was gonna see a benefit. Even on a a regular Xbox One you would still get 1080p visuals compared to pre patch and 360 console 720p. I played it pre patch and I can tell you it's a world of difference going from 720p resolution to 1080p. Even Abby noticed it but Backalar said there wasn't a difference.

44 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

JB is very versed in tech like that and how it works. I think he’s just very realistic on his own perception of the differences. 

I like Backalar. His personality is appreciated on the Beastcast but he always half asses his responses when it comes to tech and at many times is incorrect. He always falls back that he just doesn't give a shit. I just cringe when a tech guy gets asked tech questions and is off by a lot.

4 minutes ago, The def star said:

She was playing on Xbox S. So yes she was gonna see a benefit. Even on a a regular Xbox One you would still get 1080p visuals compared to pre patch and 360 console 720p. I played it pre patch and I can tell you it's a world of difference going from 720p resolution to 1080p. Even Abby noticed it but Backalar said there wasn't a difference.

I like Backalar. His personality is appreciated on the Beastcast but he always half asses his responses when it comes to tech and at many times is incorrect. He always falls back that he just doesn't give a shit. I just cringe when a tech guy gets asked tech questions and is off by a lot.

If you can find the podcast I’d be interested in re-listening to that section. I believe you’re misunderstanding what he was saying, but I can’t say for sure unless I have the actual audio. 

Also, again, I think you’re conflating things. He understands it well but doesn’t give a shit about explaining mundane details on a podcast, and also you can understand how things are output from different SKUs and TVs and still have difficulty seeing or apathy about the differences (I’m not talking about red dead specially here). 

There’s a spectrum to how much you both can see from person to person and give a shit about what might be minor upgrades to one person and a world of difference to another. 

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

If you can find the podcast I’d be interested in re-listening to that section. I believe you’re misunderstanding what he was saying, but I can’t say for sure unless I have the actual audio. 

Also, again, I think you’re conflating things. He understands it well but doesn’t give a shit about explaining mundane details on a podcast, and also you can understand how things are output from different SKUs and TVs and still have difficulty seeing or apathy about the differences (I’m not talking about red dead specially here). 

There’s a spectrum to how much you both can see from person to person and give a shit about what might be minor upgrades to one person and a world of difference to another. 

Saying you don't care or a see a difference between 720p from 1080p I can see where you won't care or see a difference between 720p from 360p :p That's fine but you can't be telling people on a world wide podcast that there isn't a tangible difference between the two resolutions. People listen to these guys for entertainment and knowlegeable information. If he doesn't give a shit then that's fine, but then I won't take his opinion serious whether he is very versed in tech or not.

1 minute ago, The def star said:

Saying you don't care or a see a difference between 720p from 1080p I can see where you won't care or see a difference between 720p from 360p. That's fine but you can't be telling people on a world wide podcast that there isn't a tangible difference between the two resolutions. If he doesn't give a shit then that's fine, but then I won't take his opinion serious whether he is very versed in tech or not.

Again, I'm fairly certain he absolutely did not say that, so I guess we're an an impasse unless someone can find the audio. 

It's in episode 152 I believe at the 43 minute mark. It's just a mess of misinformation. Abby and Dan say it looks better to them, Jeff is saying it isn't, something along the lines that it is being upscaled. For the tech guy it just makes me cringe that he doesn't take it seriously.

4 minutes ago, The def star said:

It's in episode 152 I believe at the 43 minute mark. It's just a mess of misinformation. Abby and Dan say it looks better to them, Jeff is saying it isn't, something along the lines that it is being upscaled. For the tech guy it just makes me cringe that he doesn't take it seriously.

He says it’s being upscaled. He’s actually being quite careful to say it’s not actually rendering the game at a natively higher rez or whatever. 

He didn’t say what you said he said. 

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

He says it’s being upscaled. He’s actually being quite careful to say it’s not actually rendering the game at a natively higher rez or whatever. 

He didn’t say what you said he said. 

Eh I didn't quote him word for word. He didn't say this either 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My main point is that he comes across as a guy who doesn't care about accurate information. So I wouldn't take his word that the switch version looks damn good :p

14 minutes ago, The def star said:

Eh I didn't quote him word for word. He didn't say this either 

My main point is that he comes across as a guy who doesn't care about accurate information. So I wouldn't take his word that the switch version looks damn good :p

Since you're concerned about accurate information, he literally says "it just upscales whatever you're looking at to 4K." 

If this is inaccurate, I'll concede, but I think at this point you're backing away from your original comments and misrepresented what he said, which is the type of thing you had a problem with in the first place :p

12 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Since you're concerned about accurate information, he literally says "it just upscales whatever you're looking at to 4K." 

If this is inaccurate, I'll concede, but I think at this point you're backing away from your original comments and misrepresented what he said, which is the type of thing you had a problem with in the first place :p

He literally tell Abby it doesn't make a difference. Granted I was being hyperbolic in my original post about him not being able to tell the difference if you couldn't tell by my :p the Xbox outputs the game at native 1080p and native 4k not upscales.

Like literally everything upscales if the machine isn’t doing it your tv is. Upscaling hasnt been something that matters for like a a decade or so on any modern device. To be fair, he could have been sitting 30ft from a 20” tv making it hard to tell the difference.

11 minutes ago, The def star said:

He literally tell Abby it doesn't make a difference. Granted I was being hyperbolic if you couldn't tell by my :p the Xbox outputs the game at native 1080p and native 4k not upscales.

He said it doesn't "look" any better, and from there I can see where you're coming from. But in context everything he says makes sense and isn't misinformation. He describes what upscaling is, which further confuses Dan and Abby lol. But when he was saying it doesn't look "better" he was saying that it is upscaling it, not running it natively at that resolution. 

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, that just makes it worse if he said it was upscaling RDR. :P The entire point of the patch is that it runs at a higher (up to 4k on X) internal resolution.

The S? Everything I'm reading, including MS's own support page, states the S only upscales. So if that's wrong, do you have a source?

If you had Jeff in the room with you and you asked him can tell a difference, he would say something like "OF COURSE!" He never says in that whole thing there's not a difference. He in fact goes into what the differences is!