The Newer Dumbass Thread

Stickey

45 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

There is no such thing as "right" or "wrong" - only our subjective perception/interpretation of existence itself which therefore colors "facts", "opinions", and "feelings".

The earth revolving around the sun is not subjective.  Regardless of conscious beings.  

3 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

There are vast quantities of matter that exist in our Universe that exists regardless of an observer, we are only made aware of it through consciousness.  However, consciousness is not the reason for the fact that it exists.

In other words, The world doesn't revolve around you, Wade!

I have no evidence that the universe exists outside of my own conscious perception that it does.  Ergo, the universe does revolve around me because if I didn't exist, I have no evidence that anything else does either.

8 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I have no evidence that the universe exists outside of my own conscious perception that it does.  Ergo, the universe does revolve around me because if I didn't exist, I have no evidence that anything else does either.

billions of sperm that failed to produce an offspring  from your parents, and therefore their existence doesn't exist, does not mean that we don't exist.   

The world still exists regardless if you are a part of it.  And It will continue without you.

One of the reasons robotics is so challenging is because thus far we've only been able to develop AI that has extremely limited means to develop effective concepts and models of the world. The cost of that limitation is current robots utterly fail to be even remotely as capable as humans. Their life is a sad one filled with constant disappointment in reality not turning out as expected and working the field is a constant reminder of the stark difference between beliefs and the actualities of the universe.

No, they're not the same.

26 minutes ago, legend said:

One of the reasons robotics is so challenging is because thus far we've only been able to develop AI that has extremely limited means to develop effective concepts and models of the world. The cost of that limitation is current robots utterly fail to be even remotely as capable as humans. Their life is a sad one filled with constant disappointment in reality not turning out as expected and working the field is a constant reminder of the stark difference between beliefs and the actualities of the universe.

No, they're not the same.

5 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

There is no such thing as "right" or "wrong" - only our subjective perception/interpretation of existence itself which therefore colors "facts", "opinions", and "feelings".

They are all the same 

17 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

You're making a lot of propositional claims about the nature of reality in this thread. Do you think those claims are "true?"

If you think everything is subjective, then it's intrinsically incoherent to argue with anyone about anything at all. Every proposition you utter is an attempted representation of the objective nature of reality - which you claim to not be able to access. Even the claim "everything is subjective" is a representation of objective reality which is either true or false and which you can't make without having that access.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

If you think everything is subjective, then it's intrinsically incoherent to argue with anyone about anything at all. Every proposition you utter is an attempted representation of the objective nature of reality - which you claim to not be able to access. Even the claim "everything is subjective" is a representation of objective reality which is either true or false and which you can't make without having that access.

No, it's a attempted representation of the subjective nature of reality, which may or may not exist.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

I don't think they're "true" because I doubt the existence of "truth".  Ergo, I'm fully cognizant of the reality that they could not be "true" in the reality of another individual.

No, they actually couldn't "not be true." For something to not be true, it has to be "true" that they're not true. Once you establish the premise that truth doesn't exist, you can't say things are untrue either. You cannot make any propositional claims about the nature of reality at all. Please read more about epistemology before you talk about this kind of thing authoritatively.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

No, it's a attempted representation of the subjective nature of reality, which may or may not exist.

To say that the subjective nature of reality may or may not exist is to say that it may be true that the subjective nature of reality exists. But you've already established that you believe truth does not exist.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

To say that the subjective nature of reality may or may not exist is to say that it may be true that the subjective nature of reality exists. But you've already established that you believe truth does not exist.

Exactly - I have no idea if it exists or not because it's all subjective.  But I err on the side of there being no singular objective truth because of that subjectivity.

But I could be wrong because it's all subjective anyway.

• Confused 1