Recreational marijuana could come to New York State in 2019

"The positive effects of a regulated marijuana market in New York State outweigh the potential negative impacts," the New York Department of Health states.

Cannabis legalization advocates expect New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to call on the legislature to legalize recreational marijuana during his first budget address in 2019.

"We're drafting legislation," Rich Azzopardi, a spokesman for the governor, told NBC News on Tuesday, when asked about decriminalizing weed.

The New York Post first reported earlier Tuesday that the governor's next budget address would include the introduction of a pot-legalization plan — but Azzopardi downplayed that news by noting that "in August we appointed a 16 member working group to draft legislation and hold public hearings."

Cuomo got the ball rolling for legalization earlier this year by launching a working group to make legislative recommendations based on a multi-agency study on "regulated marijuana" unveiled in July.

My state finally coming to terms with the fact everyone's been blazing anywhere and everywhere for the last few decades out in the open anyway.

I know that's not really the point so I'll drop my cynicism and say that's cool. NYC already perpetually smells like weed, even on the highways, so I'm curious to see the change once this hits.   

7 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, Illinois, Rhode Island,  and Connecticut all seem to have traction from governors or legislatures. 

I guarantee you the only reason Cuomo is suddenly expressing interest is because New Jersey finally got moving on legalization within the past month or two.

California, Michigan, and now New York will have legalized marijuana for general use very soon. Activists are targeting states with large populations to push this issue over the finish line. Ohio will be a ballot initiative in 2020. Illinois is being lobbied right now. Texas is being targeted for decriminalization and medical with general legalization in 6-8 years as the goal. 

13 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Jesus just do it nationwide already. The trend isn’t gonna to reverse itself. 

You still need the state-level legalization because federal legalization simply isn't going to entail forcing states to make it legal, it's going to be like alcohol where states and localities can still ban it if they want to.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

You still need the state-level legalization because federal legalization simply isn't going to entail forcing states to make it legal, it's going to be like alcohol where states and localities can still ban it if they want to.

Right, but it's not a stretch to say that once it's no longer a scheduled substance, state legislators will be less reticent to entertain the notion.

24 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Right, but it's not a stretch to say that once it's no longer a scheduled substance, state legislators will be less reticent to entertain the notion.

It should help, but Mississippi kept alcohol prohibition around until 1966. It's going to be a long process.

37 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I’m reallu curious how it will happen in NH. The state runs and regulates all liquor sales. 

Since it became legal in Canada they have allowed the provinces to pick/choose how it would be sold. In Ontario (where I live) we have our liquor sold through government run stores called the LCBO and The Beer Store. Only in the past few years have they allowed some grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Before Doug Ford won the election for Ontario Premier, the Liberals we’re going to sell Marijuana through select government run LCBO stores. All that changed when Canadian Trump came in, scrapped that plan and would allow it to be sold through private retailers who applied for an application. They were going to allow I think over 100 stores to open, but have now dropped that to 25 for April 1st  because of the shortages happening up here. Should give some states an idea on what to do/not do.