What 'Avengers 4' Trailer Fever Should Teach Marvel

What’s remarkable about this fevered anticipation is the degree to which it’s fan-created, without noticeable direction from Marvel or the filmmakers involved, although the Russo brothers aren’t above trolling fans with teases about both the movie’s trailer, title and very existence, amusingly enough. Nonetheless, with little more than the most vague tease about… well, anything at all, fans will leap to the conclusion that the Avengers 4trailer is imminent and leap into an advanced state of excitement.

With this in mind, I would like to submit a proposal to Marvel Studios: Don’t release a trailer for the next Avengers movie.

There’s literally no need to spend the time or money doing so, given the advanced level of enthusiasm that’s already out there for the movie, and is only likely to build as it gets closer to the May release date. It’s not as if anyone needs to be told that this project exists, or is forthcoming; people are already so aware of it that they’re sharing secondhand rumors online about when the promotion for the movie might begin. That’s a kind of brand awareness that most studios would kill for.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-avengers-4-trailer-should-never-be-released-1166311

This actually sounds like a good idea!

For as much fan hype as there already exists, I'm skeptical that that means trailers have no value. It's not just fans you're targeting but the general audience who shows up for these movies, but otherwise is not very involved and doesn't pay much attention.

Maybe @sblfilms will have some useful perspective.

12 minutes ago, legend said:

For as much fan hype as there already exists, I'm skeptical that that means trailers have no value. It's not just fans you're targeting but the general audience who shows up for these movies, but otherwise is not very involved and doesn't pay much attention.

Maybe @sblfilms will have some useful perspective.

maybe just stick with sports events so all the dads know about it even if they don't care.

• Haha 1

If there's a single lesson to be taken from this it's that these media companies need to learn to ignore the most rabid fans. Whether it's Marvel or Disney or Blizzard or EA or whomever, these are companies that serve millions and millions of people, and the bad actions of the frenzied minority shouldn't drive their decisions. 

3 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

maybe just stick with sports events so all the dads know about it even if they don't care.

Hah maybe. I'm not sure that would be sufficient, but I also don't purport to know what is effective at reaching the general public :p 

16 minutes ago, Reputator said:

They could literally show the title of the movie with some music and voice clips throughout the franchise and then the release date. Literally nothing but text on the screen. I think that would be a ballsy, brilliant move.

Yup, just like the first Dark Knight teaser..

all social media is infested with people trying to gain hits for breaking the news to everyone... its gotten very annoying..

plus my anticipation is for the next Godzilla trailer.. specially now that we know exactly how the monsters look