No Love for Halloween!?

SoberChef

45 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Halloween is one of the few horro films I've always liked. I probably won't see this in theaters, though. May rent it for next October. 

Are they just pretending that H2O and Resurrection didn't happen?

I think they're pretending everything except the original didn't happen. 

6 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I think they're pretending everything except the original didn't happen. 

Yes. As far as this movie is concerned only Halloween one happened. I don't think two even counts and that movie takes place the next day (or later on the night of) the original. I plan on seeing it this week. My mom is in town this weekend and I was trying to convince her and my girl to see it this weekend :p

Haloween 2 never counted according to this.  

It was a Great Horror film...recommend watching the first because there's a lot of film references.  Actually just watch the cinema sins form the first on YouTube...you'll see the exact same sins pop up.

The Cinematography was on point

Spoilers

Spoiler

The scene where he walks walks into the shed and you follow him into the house and  and through it backout onto the street and then up to the next house where the camera stops in the window and you see him walk just out of frame and come into the rear of the house and kill the woman who is now looking out the window....solid

The scene where JLC is in the bedroom upstairs with the gun and the closet....just filmed closed in and tense.

The killing was methodical and brutal.  Just straight blunt force trauma most of the time.

Jamie Lee Curtis was great.  

The biggest problem with the film is 

Spoiler

Pretty much every character and decision made is there to get Michael Myers to Laurie. 

Like the sheriff’s character development is p much just “i was there 40 years ago!” And then he makes dumb decisions and experienced sheriff shouldn’t make. 

The doctor only exists to get Michael to her house and the twist was pointless because he dies 5 minutes later. 

But the actual horror parts are good

Holy fuck me Freddy that movie was a steaming pile of shit. It took everything bad about the first movie and made it much... much much much worse. 

They Blair Witch'd the shit out of this movie. I just don't comprehend how the biggest trope that they latched onto from that generation of horror movies was stupid decision making. I'm sorry, but calling attention to stupid decisions as an homage doesn't make you clever, it makes your movie suck. And of all the stupid crap that is in this movie, and there's a BUNCH, there's one defining moment that receives the Fonze's "jump the shark" seal of approval. I'm looking at you, Dr. Whatshisfuck. 

Literally the only good that came from this movie is all the Michael running memes being made.

Fuck I'm sick of shitty horror movies. Thankfully we've gotten at least one good one this year in Hereditary. And an amazing long form show in Haunting of Hill House. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched it tonight ( on Halloween) and loved it... great follow up to the original but if it was up to me, I would have made the second film canon and made the whole

Spoiler

Laurie is his sister thing official

I watched the first two movies recently before I saw this one and I appreciate all the little homages  they made. The after credits scene was weak, but I liked the overall tone of the film and how it maintained the spirit and tone of the first film. 8/10

I think out of all the slasher films in the 70s and 80s, Halloween (the original) is the best. And I oddly like terrible movies such as the old Friday the 13th series. The best overall series out of those is probably Nightmare on Elm Street, since there are a few sequels that are a bit creepy.

I give this sequel high marks. I had a lot of fun. They kept the feel of the original while making effective use of the higher budget. I enjoyed the little twists and nods to the older films. They kept Michael a mystery. Zombie made huge mistakes by giving us too much background on the guy, and the original sequels humanized him far too much. He is an entity, not a person, and that's what makes the theme of the original so effective. It is the boogeyman. Anyway, this is how horror is done. 8/10

Spoiler

I disagree with @skillzdadirecta about making Laurie his sister. I prefer the fact that Michael has moved on to other obsessions, and it makes enough sense that since she got away that he would still be wanting her dead.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:24 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I watched it tonight ( on Halloween) and loved it... great follow up to the original but if it was up to me, I would have made the second film canon and made the whole

Reveal hidden contents

I watched the first two movies recently before I saw this one and I appreciate all the little homages  they made. The after credits scene was weak, but I liked the overall tone of the film and how it maintained the spirit and tone of the first film. 8/10

There was an after credits scene in your theatre? Mine didn't show anything. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hide contents

It was literally just the sound if him breathing over the very last of the credits.

That's it.

Oh ok I thought you meant an actual filmed scene. Yeah I think this movie will do well enough that they're planning a sequel. 

15 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Ugh it’s killing me that I still haven’t seen this. 

I wish I could go back to saying that. This is a well produced film, built around homage at every turn, but as it own horror movie it's a big steaming turd. Motivations, actions, plot, and resolutions are all horrible. The only parts that didn't have me cringing are what's already been shown in the trailers. 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:55 AM, Emblazon said:

I wish I could go back to saying that. This is a well produced film, built around homage at every turn, but as it own horror movie it's a big steaming turd. Motivations, actions, plot, and resolutions are all horrible. The only parts that didn't have me cringing are what's already been shown in the trailers. 

Finally saw it today and could not disagree with you more. I felt like everything about this movie was very carefully put together and intentional. They purposefully played into some tropes that were absolute staples of the slasher genre while simultaneously staying away from others in a very self aware way. 

The music was absolutely on point as well. Carpenter managed to take his already iconic and brilliant score and improve upon it while not relying on it too heavily. The first time Allyson sees Michael and that guitar riff played, I got goose bumps. 

The suspense they created certainly lived up to a Carpenter film. As someone else said the tracking shot into the garage and then into the house was great. As was the scene with Lorie and the closet. 

The way they worked all the homages was great and worked perfectly with the role reversal theme of the movie. 

Did it have its faults? Sure. I wasn’t a fan of how the doctors story played out. I wish the “stoner” boyfriend had stayed around a little longer but that’s just cause I found him entertaining haha. The other main cop just kind of stopped being in the movie which was weird. 

All in all i think it was a phenomonal sequal to one of the best horror movies of all time. It stayed true to its roots in a dead genre while playing with them at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Finally saw it today and could not disagree with you more. I felt like everything about this movie was very carefully put together and intentional. They purposefully played into some tropes that were absolute staples of the slasher genre while simultaneously staying away from others in a very self aware way. 

The music was absolutely on point as well. Carpenter managed to take his already iconic and brilliant score and improve upon it while not relying on it too heavily. The first time Allyson sees Michael and that guitar riff played, I got goose bumps. 

The suspense they created certainly lived up to a Carpenter film. As someone else said the tracking shot into the garage and then into the house was great. As was the scene with Lorie and the closet. 

The way they worked all the homages was great and worked perfectly with the role reversal theme of the movie. 

Did it have its faults? Sure. I wasn’t a fan of how the doctors story played out. I wish the “stoner” boyfriend had stayed around a little longer but that’s just cause I found him entertaining haha. The other main cop just kind of stopped being in the movie which was weird. 

All in all i think it was a phenomonal sequal to one of the best horror movies of all time. It stayed true to its roots in a dead genre while playing with them at the same time.

I wanted

Spoiler

him to die so bad... when the movie ended with him still alive I was like "Oh he's GOTTA be in the sequel if only to be killed

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wanted

Hide contents

him to die so bad... when the movie ended with him still alive I was like "Oh he's GOTTA be in the sequel if only to be killed

Spoiler

Lol no not the actual boyfriend. I meant the dude who got the tattoo that Myers stabbed into the wall. I wanted the real boyfriend to die too haha. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Hide contents

Lol no not the actual boyfriend. I meant the dude who got the tattoo that Myers stabbed into the wall. I wanted the real boyfriend to die too haha. 

Oh HIM!

Spoiler

That guy was awesome:lol: I was sad to see him AND his girl go... they were both cool.

there were some surprisingly gory kills in the movie too considering this day and age :p

53 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread other than to not-so-humbly brag that I met Jamie Lee Curtis as a 16 year old with terrible hair. :p 

j24x4.jpg

That's amazing. I don't care much about many actors on a personal level, but she's one I would love to meet. I read an interview with her in Time last week and she likes to buy multiple copies of books she really loves to give to people she meets up with.