No Love for Halloween!?

SoberChef

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Finally saw it today and could not disagree with you more. I felt like everything about this movie was very carefully put together and intentional. They purposefully played into some tropes that were absolute staples of the slasher genre while simultaneously staying away from others in a very self aware way. 

The music was absolutely on point as well. Carpenter managed to take his already iconic and brilliant score and improve upon it while not relying on it too heavily. The first time Allyson sees Michael and that guitar riff played, I got goose bumps. 

The suspense they created certainly lived up to a Carpenter film. As someone else said the tracking shot into the garage and then into the house was great. As was the scene with Lorie and the closet. 

The way they worked all the homages was great and worked perfectly with the role reversal theme of the movie. 

Did it have its faults? Sure. I wasn’t a fan of how the doctors story played out. I wish the “stoner” boyfriend had stayed around a little longer but that’s just cause I found him entertaining haha. The other main cop just kind of stopped being in the movie which was weird. 

All in all i think it was a phenomonal sequal to one of the best horror movies of all time. It stayed true to its roots in a dead genre while playing with them at the same time.

So... because the movie was intentionally shitty, that made it good?

CitW took those horror tropes and put them to clever use. Halloween took those tropes, rehashed them, put a fresh coat of higher production value paint on it, and called it homage. 

Whilst I could write an extensive list of all the shitty writing moments in this movie, nothing was worse than the most unintentionally comical line in film this year--"Happy Halloween, Michael". :lol:

To be clear--the only problem I had with this movie was its horrible writing. 

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

So... because the movie was intentionally shitty, that made it good?

CitW took those horror tropes and put them to clever use. Halloween took those tropes, rehashed them, put a fresh coat of higher production value paint on it, and called it homage. 

Whilst I could write an extensive list of all the shitty writing moments in this movie, nothing was worse than the most unintentionally comical line in film this year--"Happy Halloween, Michael". :lol:

To be clear--the only problem I had with this movie was its horrible writing. 

I don’t think it was intentionally shitty. It’s a style of movie. Horror is a special genre. You can have movies be silly and have characters do silly things and that’s part of it. And CitW is a different type of movie entirely. It’s a satire of the entire genre. Whereas Halloween is using the same formula that makes it what it is. While also giving you a few nods and winks.  If you made a Halloween any different it would turn out like Rob Zombies garbage. The Happy Halloween Michael is part of it.  It’s not supposed to be some kind Oscar bait film. It’s a fun throw back horror movie. Just because it doesn’t fall into a certain view or what horror should be doesn’t make it shitty. 

the doctor going with the one cop was dumb. The cop knows about MM and he decides he’s going to lone wolf it with this doctor who only exists to get MM to Laurie. That’s really my only big complaint. The scene with the fat friend was my favorite 

41 minutes ago, johnny said:

the doctor going with the one cop was dumb. The cop knows about MM and he decides he’s going to lone wolf it with this doctor who only exists to get MM to Laurie. That’s really my only big complaint. The scene with the fat friend was my favorite 

Yeah I wast a huge fan of anything the doctor did in Haddonfield. 

YES, that entries scene was great with the lights going on and off. 

22 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's amazing. I don't care much about many actors on a personal level, but she's one I would love to meet. I read an interview with her in Time last week and she likes to buy multiple copies of books she really loves to give to people she meets up with. 

Yeah she was extremely kind, as well as generous with her time. I was with several friends and we saw her go into a coffee shop that we were just leaving in a small ski town. I actually was the one who went back in and approached her (I was even shyer as a 16 year old than I am now so I'm kind of proud of this :p ), made sure it was really her, and asked her if she would mind taking a picture with us. She was more than happy to go back out into the cold and pose for several pictures with us, and as you see in the picture she even put her head on my shoulder. :blush:  She chatted for a few minutes with us and actually thanked us for saying hi, wished us well, etc. Very kind, and in a way that certainly seemed very genuine.