Do you wash your meat before cooking it?

Do you wash your meat before cooking?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wash your meat before cooking?

• No, I’m aware of evidence-based practice
    • Yes, my granny taught me to and I always will, no matter what the experts say

TIL this is apparently a thing a lot of people do. Is it weird it seems that literally every Black person I polled at work insists on washing their chicken first? Granted, small sample size, but still. 

Even when I told them about actual food safety guidelines they still ridiculed me for not washing my meat and said they will never eat anything I cook. 😂

So how many of you fools do this? 

Yes, I fully expect certain people to come in here with dick jokes. :p 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t cook much but nobody I know has ever in front of me and it never even occurred to me as a thing. Like even a steak, they would wash it? I wash fruit.

Yep, all meat apparently. Except burger, I guess. They say you can’t really wash it. But then don’t get the difference. 

Yes, you’re definitely supposed to wash produce before eating. Just rinse it off with cool water. 

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Those are different things though which is maybe why you're confused. :p

No, I’m not confused. The terms are being used interchangeably. You’re not supposed to do either. Scrubbing it with soap and water is obviously incorrect, but a lot of people think you’re supposed to rinse your chicken(and other meat) off in the sink. You don’t do that either, because it just spreads the bacteria around and cooking it properly kills the bacteria anyway. Cooking it is the only way to kill the bacteria. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Those are different things though which is maybe why you're confused. :p

Washing fruit/vegetables doesn’t involve soap either.
Rinsing off meat is weird AF to me unless maybe you fucked up marinating or something and want to clean it off, I dunno.

Do people who do this eat out and assume the restaurant washes their meats?

I have rinsed chicken a handful of times when I opened a package and it had a bit of a funk to it. If it still smelled funky after a rinse, I typically offer to my neighbor for his dogs. Otherwise I don’t rinse meats.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

I have rinsed chicken a handful of times when I opened a package and it had a bit of a funk to it. If it still smelled funky after a rinse, I typically offer to my neighbor for his dogs. Otherwise I don’t rinse meats.

If it has a bit of funk to it, you probably shouldn't eat it. Rinsing it isn't going to change anything.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Brian said:

Any meat that has bit of funk shouldn’t be eaten by human or animal. Throw it away. 

• True 1

59 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Washing fruit/vegetables doesn’t involve soap either.

That's because you rinse off fruit or vegetables. If you washed them you would use soap, which you shouldn't do because it messes with the flavor among other things.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's because you rinse off fruit or vegetables. If you washed them you would use soap, which you shouldn't do because it messes with the flavor among other things.

Rinsing wouldn’t involve rubbing, scrubbing, or brushing it while under said water, though. I definitely do those things with most vegetables and some fruit.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Okay, washing is a frequently used term for this practice. They mean rinsing. Let’s not be pedantic, demut. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Brian said:

If there’s a funky smell to chicken it’s spoiled, my guy.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Rinsing wouldn’t involve rubbing, scrubbing, or brushing it while under said water, though. I definitely do those things with most vegetables and some fruit.

Yeah it would just be called rinsing. Who scrubs or brushes vegetables though? Weirdos ITT.

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah it would just be called rinsing.

No, because the definition for washing is that it "typically" involves soap, but not always :p 

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Who scrubs or brushes vegetables though? Weirdos ITT.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fruit+%26+vegetable+cleaning+brushes&hvadid=557402515596&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9007261&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17543970478380765555&hvtargid=kwd-948892791326&hydadcr=28579_14528972&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_27piz8uaqh_b

If you don't scrub root vegetables it's because you don't cook :p 

I've never seen this done by professional cooks.

I've been watching food network for 24 years and not once did I see anyone wash/rinse their meat before cooking it

I also watch Gordon Ramsey every evening while eating dinner and he NEVER washed/rinsed off any meat he cooked.