I need a few people with both good taste and terrible taste to watch a movie and give feedback

I am currently working on a distribution deal with some filmmakers who just had a film run at SXSW, and I want to get more data points on how the film plays to different people. PM me your email and I'll get you a link to watch it. 

If any of you have female friends/significant others, would be great to hear their thoughts on the film as well. Very helpful in determining the particular release strategy for this title. This one if more of a test run, one of the filmmakers is actually a long time friend of mine and former IGN board user. Didn't realize he had got the film into SXSW until I was looking at the schedule for the next day and saw him credited on the film. Fortunately I still had his number and we ended up getting together for coffee. This film is also a bit of test run for them, as the main goal was to show proof that they could complete a feature film in hopes of raising more funds for their next film. Getting into SXSW alone went a long way toward that, but it is still helpful if we can find a path to get this into theaters. Even something on the order of 500 screens.

I have a pretty good idea of how I want to tackle this one, but getting more perspectives on the film is immensely helpful. Thanks to all who agree to give it a watch. And no rush, if it takes a week or so to get around to it, that is fine :) 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well right off the bat a big negative for me is fuckin Aloy is the star of this. I cannot stand her voice lol. I'm about 15 minutes in. :p

get off the pipe my friend. I just finished watching and loved it. My only problem is I can't figure out exactly what genre I'd place it in.

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

get off the pipe my friend. I just finished watching and loved it. My only problem is I can't figure out exactly what genre I'd place it in.

I didn't comment on the film itself. I just really dislike Ashley Birch. But I'm definitely finishing this as I'm an hour in now. 

12 hours ago, best3444 said:

Finished it. I enjoyed it up until the end. I won't say anything else but I will say Ashley Birch grew on me in this. I thought the acting was pretty impressive for something this low budget. 

Glad to hear that I think she is very talented and not liking Ashley Birch was your worst take ever :lol:

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:11 PM, sblfilms said:

If any of you have female friends/significant others, would be great to hear their thoughts on the film as well. Very helpful in determining the particular release strategy for this title. This one if more of a test run, one of the filmmakers is actually a long time friend of mine and former IGN board user. Didn't realize he had got the film into SXSW until I was looking at the schedule for the next day and saw him credited on the film. Fortunately I still had his number and we ended up getting together for coffee. This film is also a bit of test run for them, as the main goal was to show proof that they could complete a feature film in hopes of raising more funds for their next film. Getting into SXSW alone went a long way toward that, but it is still helpful if we can find a path to get this into theaters. Even something on the order of 500 screens.

I have a pretty good idea of how I want to tackle this one, but getting more perspectives on the film is immensely helpful. Thanks to all who agree to give it a watch. And no rush, if it takes a week or so to get around to it, that is fine :) 

Sniperpuppies?  Warmer?

Give us a hint. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it last night. It was really cute. Some of the landscape shots were beautiful. The middle of this film was fantastic. The acting and writing. It’s the beginning with some comedy elements that felt a bit low budget but once it gets going it really shines. The female lead was great from start to finish and the male only struggles slightly in the beginning but then he charms you making the two of them likeable characters.  I also thought it was a nice change where many side characters are kind people. It also started to make sense with the whole setting. I mean it could go either way of course, but it was nice to see people being nice to each other because of the impending doom. It made for a wholesome date flick. And that’s what it is, a date flick with minor sci-fi elements.

and as I said before, the middle of the film is tight. Forgot it was a low budget film.  When the two leads play more of a serious tone they do very well.

glad I watched it

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. It was quite helpful.

And here is an interesting news article for absolutely no reason at all 👀

CA.STYLE.YAHOO.COM

John Fithian's The Fithian Group is building a studio and direct distribution system to bring more movies to theaters.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. It was quite helpful.

And here is an interesting news article for absolutely no reason at all 👀

CA.STYLE.YAHOO.COM

John Fithian's The Fithian Group is building a studio and direct distribution system to bring more movies to theaters.

Damn, you’re so loaded you get to be the silent mystery player. 

This is tangential, but I'm honestly curious. How do you define good/bad taste @sblfilms? Is good taste the ability to recognize that something unconventional will resonate with a larger population despite it being new or is it something else?