Steam Deck OLED officially announced, update: "A beautiful display upgrade - and so much more" (Digital Foundry review)

Commissar SFLUFAN

I won’t bother with a handheld that doesn’t have VRR.  The extra power from the Z1E coupled with VRR, it drastically cut back on me tweaking settings to find something that plays smoothly.  It’s not “download and play”, but it’s not far off at this point. 

I fully acknowledge that Steam Deck is not for me. I don’t care for Linux. I was jumping through hoops trying to get Game Pass to work which I never did. It doesn’t have full compatibility with my library. Came across weird bugs where games like Elden Ring and Midnight Suns kept redownloading large chunks of data for whatever reason. And since it’s Linux based, I couldn’t easily remedy the issues.

I’m glad for this refresh. I hope it encourages the market to grow and I can get a windows based 120hz VRR OLED with the best chip available and 5 mins of battery life. 

:feelsgood::angry-fap:

• Like 1

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It says Steam Deck OLED "parts are not swappable" with the original LCD version.

The OLED is thinner because its self-emissive pixels do not require an LED backlight, and that has allowed Valve to add a thicker 50Wh battery into the mix, a bigger (and quieter) cooling fan, and improved heat pipe and heat exchanger, too.

"We'll still sell, and make available all Steam Deck LCD internal parts for repairs and replacements. But for the most part, because we changed so much inside, there's not as much back and forth swapping that's going to be possible."

• Haha 1

Does anyone here have feelings about the etched screen on the higher end OLED model? OLED screens are typically glossy in order to best appreciate the improved contrast, and I've seen a number of recommendations to avoid the higher end one for that reason.

Also, am I correct in that Valve doesn't sell their case separately?

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Does anyone here have feelings about the etched screen on the higher end OLED model? OLED screens are typically glossy in order to best appreciate the improved contrast, and I've seen a number of recommendations to avoid the higher end one for that reason.

Also, am I correct in that Valve doesn't sell their case separately?

I bought a 512GB and the screen was really washed out on the etched glass. I prefered the regular screen. You might be able to ebay the case but I don't think they are sold seperately.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I bought a 512GB and the screen was really washed out on the etched glass. I prefered the regular screen. You might be able to ebay the case but I don't think they are sold seperately.

Yeah, I would NOT get the etched screen, it ruins the vibrancy. I think it’s a bad idea unless you plan to play directly in the sun outside a LOT.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

40 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah, I would NOT get the etched screen, it ruins the vibrancy. I think it’s a bad idea unless you plan to play directly in the sun outside a LOT.

Thanks for the input. I suppose I'll go for the 512 OLED then.

Can’t stand this glitchy website shit with hardware lately. I don’t care if it sells out and I have to be on a wait list but just let me know and do that. It’s the sites breaking down that makes it so fucking annoying because it’s confusing what is happening and if it’s worth continuing to try. There is no reason despite how many people may be trying that it should be saying a waitlist is required when there isn’t a waitlist. It’s that shit that makes buying hardware day1 such a pain.

25 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Got the order in on a 512GB. Stupid purchase since I have the 256GB already, but my trainer will probably buy my old Deck so I don't have to worry about going through the eBay mess.

Hey, that’s not stupid at all. The deck screen was horrible and this is going to be nothing but a gigantic upgrade for you. Stupid is getting this when you already upgraded to the Ally and only will use this for certain things probably for 6-8 months until Ally gets oled!

6 minutes ago, nublood said:

FINALLY got one :dab:

Now I'm wondering if I should get a 1TB card and how well this thing will read from it efficiently...

You should and just about as well as the ssd besides certain more bandwidth heavy games that probably won’t run well anyway!

51 minutes ago, stepee said:

Hey, that’s not stupid at all. The deck screen was horrible and this is going to be nothing but a gigantic upgrade for you. Stupid is getting this when you already upgraded to the Ally and only will use this for certain things probably for 6-8 months until Ally gets oled!

Money Money Smoking GIF

• Sicko Sherman 1

SteamOS 3.5.5 is now out for all Steam Decks, with improved default colors for Steam Deck LCD, additional display settings, and support for Steam Deck OLED!

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

SteamOS 3.5.5 has been released to the Stable channel for Deck with the following changes: Display The default color rendering for Steam Deck LCD has been adjusted to emulate the sRGB color gamut, resulting in a slightly warmer and more vibrant color appearance. Added Settings -> Adjust Display Colors, to tune the display's Color Vibrancy and Color Temperature. The settings can be tuned with a preview of a test...

• Halal 2