My 83" LGC1 Died!!

HardAct

For some context, my TV was bought new from BestBuy for $4999 on October 30th 2021! Last week it just shut off while watching a movie with the wife. Grabbed the remote and it turned back on fine and was fine after that. Last Saturday it did the same thing but while I was playing The "NEW" Forza! Annoying but turned back on right after. Today I was playing Forza again with the Wheel and it shut off. Grabbed the Remote and Nothing. Waited 10 minutes, again nothing. Hooked up a fan to blow behind it and still nothing, also tried all the normal crap like Unplugged and plugged back in, different outlet, etc still NOTHING! I signed up for BB's Total Tech program as it covers anything you buy from them for a flat fee yearly of 199.99 {It's since changed to 179.99} and protects products for 2 years while under the plan and also offers a continued warranty on anything after the 2years for a monthly fee if so desired. My plan was to pay the TT price and then cover the TV for the next 5 years after that at $8.99 a month after the 2yrs.

Well.....The 2yrs is up on Oct 30th 2023!! CRAZY. So I jumped in my truck and drove down to BB to see what can be done! Turns out that after 2years they don't fix these TV's they just give a Credit for in store purchase towards a New TV! So I scheduled an in home diagnoses appointment for Oct 31st. The Geek Squad store manager said I would 100% not be able to get the TV repaired but that I would be Getting a $4999.99 credit and I looked and They have the LGC3 83" at $3799.99! WOW so instead of having to pay the 179.99 a year to continue there Total membership I will be able to buy a LGC3 83" and a 7 year warranty for $849.99. So yea this is a miserable event and does suck but in the end I'll end up with what is said by many sources as the Best Gaming TV pretty much you can buy other than the G series that is stupid EXPENCIVE. Looks like I'M GAMING ON THE 65" LGCX exclusively for the next few weeks. No telling how long I'll have to wait for a swap out and install on the new TV but in the end It's quite an upgrade at least. The LGCX & C1 TV's I have are fantastic do not get me wrong, but the LGC3 is quite a bit brighter especially in HDR and Dolby vision and it'll be covered for 7 years in case this happens again down the line. I'll be pocketing $150 bucks all said and done and that's for a better TV, and a 7 YEAR WARRENTY!! that will really give me piece of mind at least. Final note: This is the very first TV I have ever had just quit on me, thank god I still payed a bit more to cover my ass on such an expensive TV!!

Thoughts?

I would say go for the G3 since prices have dropped, but I don’t think you get MLA above 77”, so might as well just go for the 83” C3 and enjoy the additional store credit :p 

EDIT: a G3 would still be brighter than a C3 in both SDR and HDR, but if you thought your C1 was plenty bright then don’t spend the extra. 

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I would say go for the G3 since prices have dropped, but I don’t think you get MLA above 77”, so might as well just go for the 83” C3 and enjoy the additional store credit :p 

Yeah I agree with this assessment. The lack of MLA on the 83" version of the G3 means it will be darker than any other size G3, unfortunately, though still fantastically bright for an OLED (certainly brighter than your C1).

I've been super happy with my 65" G3 but the 83" version is still $5,500, so probably not worth it just for the extra brightness over the C3. 

16 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

For HDR nits absolutely matters regardless of room lighting/brightness, which is why MLA is such an amazing thing.

Agreed,

It's incredible! Like said above, I'll deal with the inconvenience for a lgc3 with its added brightness and the extra 1000 bucks will go toward a 7 year warranty. It really sucked as we LOVE our 83" c1 but the c3 is just a dreamy TV. Not that there was much wrong with the c1 at all.

It is what it is, I'll never ever go without a warranty on tvs over 65". Crazy how this is the only TV I have had ever tanked on me. I was shocked the c3 was 3999.99 too. 7 years of piece of mind on tvs that cost 4-5k is pretty nice if one can afford it. 

REALLY AM MISSING The o'83" especially playing Forza. Best Buy is coming on the 31st and it can't get here fast enough! After that the credit should be pretty strait forward and I can buy the C3 and get it installed in less that 2 weeks from now fingers crossed! didn't even realize I paid $5090.99 for the C1 and that will lead me with $1099 left over easily affording a 7 year warranty as planned I guess. I guess it's a new LGC3 for christmas for me from me :daydream:

So the geek squad came by and assessed the TV and saw that it was indeed not working but they seemed to think it's the main board and a powerboard not the screen. It the screen were needing replaced they would recommend no repair and to just replace but for now they have to try this first, Good thing is that they will be here again with parts on the 8th of november so just a tad over 2 weeks without the TV is a possibility, I'm also fine with that, I'm going to continue paying the 7.99 a month warranty/insurance on the TV as it's past the initial 2yr coverage under the Total Tech umbrella. I'm fine with that, hopefully if it's gonna die again it does it within the next 3 years of sp but I have the option to cover the TV now monthly for 7.99 for the next 5 years if I want it to still have a warranty. It's just to expensive to outright have to replace than maybe pay an additional 479.99 to cover it for then next 5 years. I'm going to do that and enjoy content at it's brightest at all times not worrying about dead pixels or burnin as that's all part of the coverage. I was excited to maybe be getting the LGC3 but now that I know most likely it's just going to be fixed I'm down with that also just fine. WE LOVE LOVE our LGC1 83" TV and it's a pivotal part of our home theater eco system along with our all SVS Ultra/Prime Pinnacle/Evolutions 13 speaker  7.2.4 Dolby atmos system. Movie night will be back to normal very very soon!

Having the complete entertainment system apart so that Geek squad could get to the TV allowed me to finally get off my ass and hook up the final piece to the 13 speaker home theater room, out Outlaw 7 channel 1000 watt amp! Now only the 4 Dolby atmos speakers up high will be powered by the Onkyo's RZ-50's {and all decoding of course} internals amps, and all 7 of the floor speakers Front L, Center, Front R, R side surround, R Rear, L Rear, L side surrounds will all have a healthy dose of power from the external amp. This was how it was intended I just hadn't moved the amp in yet as it's 70Lbs and I have a very bad back....lol The 2 PB 2000 SVS subs that are paired with this system are so incredible I can't believe I'm not hearing more in the Home theater community on them, they handle all the Low thunder you could EVER ask for in a very compact footprint. here they are here in vase anyone's interested as I love them so much. I will never go back to a single sub system ever unless limited by space that is!

CAN'T RECOMMEND THESE SUBS ENOUGH! Just incredible

Oh and lastly, if you can afford the extra money go with the high gloss black {OR White} finishes on any of SVS speaker lines, looks and feels very premium

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 6:29 AM, best3444 said:

In all honesty my 65in oled seems small to me now. So I really don't think it's that big. (That's what she said)

Yea it's crazy how used to a 65" you can get depending on seating arrangement of course but we have 3 65" TV and they do not seem big, and of course the 83" LGC1 was just massive when we got it but it's not that big anymore as you get used to it. Having an LGCX on the entertainment center in front of the 83" that's wall mounted it's really a lot smaller though and re-makes us appreciate how large a 83" TV is. We do sit 10' from it and it's just perfect I / We think anyways.

Death of a beloved LGC1 continued . . . . . 

So . . . Yesterday FINALLY { In all honesty it was only 19 days from death, diagnosis, to Today so . . . } Geek Squad came with part in hand and a crew of 3 to fix the TV. Gotta say I was EXCITED and after about 45 minutes I could sense an uneasiness in the room, and it turn's out that either it was the wrong part in the wrong box or something was really amiss. Turns out that the control board and the power unit both were ordered and were pretty insignificant really looking pieces of Tech were not for my TV. My TV the "Control board" is baked onto the screen!? Another words connected to the screen in a way that they can't be seperated for a repair {?} So . . . They had to give me the BAD news that they had to order a NEW screen / panel! Apparently that cost's 3k+ even for GEEK SQUAD. So they ordered the screen and to say I was irritated was an understatement but also it wasn't there fault so I maintained some professionalism and they left. An hour later I received a call stating that I would be up for replacement as cost's were reasonable I guess, this is what the manager in the BB store stated would most likely be the case in the very beginning. So Sunday they are bringing a Brand New LGC3 and installing it and hauling the old TV away and I can move on. Pretty excited to get an LGC3 but in no way was I even disappointed with the LGC1. Both my LGC series TV's are amazing, stunning actually when the right content is being displayed, gaming, HD Blu Rays, ETC!

EVEN BETTER!!!! Getting a LGG3 now . .  

I just noticed that Best Buy has the LGG3 priced for black friday at the exact same price that I paid for the LGC1!! Well you won't know unless you ask / try. I called the Geek squad replacement line and actually got the same person I talked to earlier this morning and I ask if it was possible to get the LGC1 replaced instead of the LGC1 because they are the same price right now. She asked to put me on hold to ask here supervisor and they are doing it! This will be a massive upgrade, I a so excited to get a G3 as it's better in almost every! And . . . Turns out it's only 42lbs and my LGc1 is 75lbs. Having a 83" tv wall mounted out about 12" from the wall has always bothered me. This was definitely a nuisance but really worth it. No money out of pocket what so ever, install is free, haul away is free etc. Never even thought I'd have LG's flagship TV as we wanted { ME of course lol } the G1 when we first looked into buying a BIG screen but it was over $1000 more and we already paid full retail at $5999. Also kind of blows my mind that the G3 just dropped from $5999 to $4999 just in time! EXCITED I'm sure you can tell, well whom ever decides to read all this ramblings. Cheers all . . . 

LGG3 83" Arrives tomorrow! Been without our 83" LGC1 now for 30 days and we have definitely missed it. Still can't believe that they "Meaning Best Buy" went out of there way to not only try and fix the problem in a timely manor, but to also allow the jump "UP" in LG's tiers of TVs! I mean a LGG3 vs. LGC1 is a massive upgrade! From most of the reviews that I have read and watched have stated that the LGC2-3 was a very minimal upgrade and the least in terms of year over year. The LGC1 vs. C2 was a pretty big up grade and the C2 vs G2 was minimal too in 2022. This year though the reviews are saying that LG has given the lest to the C3 over the C2 but the C3 vs, G3 was a BIG difference this year, basically stating that LG put in the best of everything they had in picture, UI, cooling, processing, brightness, etc to give a really massive reason to buy the G3 if you could afford it! 

Anyone here have a C3 or G2/G3? I'd love to hear thought good or bad and if you have any experiences with older LG Oled to make a comparison?

3 hours ago, HardAct said:

LGG3 83" Arrives tomorrow! Been without our 83" LGC1 now for 30 days and we have definitely missed it. Still can't believe that they "Meaning Best Buy" went out of there way to not only try and fix the problem in a timely manor, but to also allow the jump "UP" in LG's tiers of TVs! I mean a LGG3 vs. LGC1 is a massive upgrade! From most of the reviews that I have read and watched have stated that the LGC2-3 was a very minimal upgrade and the least in terms of year over year. The LGC1 vs. C2 was a pretty big up grade and the C2 vs G2 was minimal too in 2022. This year though the reviews are saying that LG has given the lest to the C3 over the C2 but the C3 vs, G3 was a BIG difference this year, basically stating that LG put in the best of everything they had in picture, UI, cooling, processing, brightness, etc to give a really massive reason to buy the G3 if you could afford it! 

Anyone here have a C3 or G2/G3? I'd love to hear thought good or bad and if you have any experiences with older LG Oled to make a comparison?

I have the 65" G3 and have been absolutely loving it, between my 4K movies, PS5, and PC gaming on it. It's my first OLED though so I can't really offer much in the way of a comparison with e.g. a C2 or any other previous generations of OLED, but it has really exceeded my expectations even when they were already sky high for a $3k TV. It has really improved my media consumption experience 100x (even over my previous 4K TV, which was admittedly a cheapo Samsung from Costco). 

The only thing to be aware of that I think has been mentioned already (too many OLED threads for me to be certain and I'm currently too lazy to go back through the thread :p) is that the 83" G3 is the one size of G3 that does NOT include LG's new MLA (micro-lens array) tech which increases the brightness. I'm guessing though that it will still be a great brightness upgrade over your old C1.

@stepee had an older generation LG OLED before upgrading to the G3, IIRC; he might be able to offer some thoughts.

9 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Congrats! I've been looking at the 65" C3 because everybody seems to have it on sale for around $1,599 which feels Iike a good deal.

(NEW) LG C3 Series OLED evo 4K TV (2023) - $1,046.99 - Free shipping for Prime members

ELECTRONICS.WOOT.COM

(NEW) LG C3 Series OLED evo 4K TV (2023)

65” $1597 and comes with a $160 visa card at Woot

They also have the 65” C2 for $1250 (refurbished by LG, comes with full warranty)

Just now, Spork3245 said:

(NEW) LG C3 Series OLED evo 4K TV (2023) - $1,046.99 - Free shipping for Prime members

ELECTRONICS.WOOT.COM

(NEW) LG C3 Series OLED evo 4K TV (2023)

65” $1597 and comes with a $160 visa card at Woot

They also have the 65” C2 for $1250 (refurbished by LG, comes with full warranty)

CRAZY!!

They just finished the install 0f the G3 and I'm starting to put everything back to haw it was. Quite the job! These SVS Ultra towers are beasts! All in all it was about a month process! I signed in to HBO max and put in Suicide Squad while I get the living room back to normal and it's stunning! Was difficult for me to find the motion smoothness settings, but I found them and turned all that shit off! Very excited to dive back into out HD Blurays!

59 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is such a good humble brag, it makes me happy every time I see it - puts sbl to shame

I miss sbl :(

Don't understand? Sbl? I do realize this is a brag as it's still kinda amazing myself! I never thought I'd end up with the top of the line G3, yea humble / greatful, lots of others come to mind! I do have an amazing Home theater now, way better than we had pre Camp fire, with the loss of our jobs, out whole cumminity, our home of 20 years! We barely escaped that fucking fire, along with the other 25,000 people that also were sadly among the 14.5k homes lost.

After 5 years of Scrapping together any resemblance of what we once were! We have now completely recovered and our new home along with family, I fellow board members am TRUELY greatful! I mean unless you have ever gone through anything catastrophic like the 2018 camp fire it's hard to TRUELY understand the word GREATFUL!!

Yes I have documented our whole journey within these threads and our D1P cummunity. You guys alot of you just reading and acknowledging our journey! I thank the lot of you, I know I'm long winded bigtime. This is my escape/ safe space. I have never been on Facebook, Twitter, snap chat, etc. This is the only "social media" site.

I really do try and type short shit but it's ingraved in me. I am "bragging", but in an honest humble way. I know everything is temporary and life can really kick your ass sometimes. I'll try and not comment on this thread again! Lol 

‐-----------

BRIGHTNESS FEATURES 2023 LGG3 83"

From what I have read the lgg3 83" size has the same brightness tech. I think the g2 didn't have it, but the 77" and down did. It's looks definitely brighter to me. Gonna watch Avitar 2 on HD bluray to truely let it wow me! Fingers crossed its as crazy good as all the reviewers say it is..........

20 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Don't understand? Sbl? I do realize this is a brag as it's still kinda amazing myself! I never thought I'd end up with the top of the line G3, yea humble / greatful, lots of others come to mind! I do have an amazing Home theater now, way better than we had pre Camp fire, with the loss of our jobs, out whole cumminity, our home of 20 years! We barely escaped that fucking fire, along with the other 25,000 people that also were sadly among the 14.5k homes lost.

After 5 years of Scrapping together any resemblance of what we once were! We have now completely recovered and our new home along with family, I fellow board members am TRUELY greatful! I mean unless you have ever gone through anything catastrophic like the 2018 camp fire it's hard to TRUELY understand the word GREATFUL!!

Yes I have documented our whole journey within these threads and our D1P cummunity. You guys alot of you just reading and acknowledging our journey! I thank the lot of you, I know I'm long winded bigtime. This is my escape/ safe space. I have never been on Facebook, Twitter, snap chat, etc. This is the only "social media" site.

I really do try and type short shit but it's ingraved in me. I am "bragging", but in an honest humble way. I know everything is temporary and life can really kick your ass sometimes. I'll try and not comment on this thread again! Lol 

‐-----------

BRIGHTNESS FEATURES 2023 LGG3 83"

From what I have read the lgg3 83" size has the same brightness tech. I think the g2 didn't have it, but the 77" and down did. It's looks definitely brighter to me. Gonna watch Avitar 2 on HD bluray to truely let it wow me! Fingers crossed its as crazy good as all the reviewers say it is..........

It was just a joke from one enthusiast to another :P

sblfilms was a user here who posted threads about his oleds, just kidding my man, i’m pumped for you!

Just now, HardAct said:

Awesome 👌

Avatar: way of Water is pretty stunning right now. And that's just streaming HBOMax! I have the bluray too, hard to believe it can look even better!

I realllllly wanna get a good rip of this and watch on Quest3 - gonna be rad 

Finally saw a G3 next to a C3 (like literally 6-ish inches apart) and the difference between the two is ridiculous. The only complaint I’ve really had picture-wise with going from Plasma to OLED is how “dark” some dark scenes/areas would display on both of my OLEDS: it would be overly dark in areas and you could barely see what was going on. With the G3 grays/mids are perfect like on my old Plasma. Really makes me want to upgrade :p