I think it's fair to say this is one of the best years of games in recent memory - where does it rank for you all time?

Paperclyp

I had actually become a little disillusioned with the major release schedule in the last several years. It seemed like most of the big stuff that was released was really not geared to my taste, a lot of live game stuff or what have you, or just like, cinematic AAA games that had their place for me at one point but now I'm just not that into anymore. 

But damn. This year is up there for me. A lot of remakes that appealed to me personally, but even setting those aside it has been an incredible year. 

It feels even more so for me, because at Christmas I got a gaming PC (first one since 2007) and so I’ve had access to more games. My interest seems higher than ever too. I can’t remember the last time I’ve played this many games in a year, and the year isn’t over and there are games already out this year I still want to play. 

I think it’s great that we’re seeing so many top tier games across different genres.  Everyone’s having a blast regardless of where their interests lean.  And for all the big games, you have a Dave the Diver, Future Connected, Vernal Edge, etc

It’s going to take me forever to try it all, so I’ll just be starting with what appeals to me most on the surface.

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

OpenCritic's 2023 Hall of Fame is really quite delightful!

Open Critic 2023 Hall of Fame.png

The first two on the list occurring in the same year is enough to make 2023 a very memorable year for gaming. Both Tears and BG3 are generation defining games. But then there just continues to be a lot of great stuff beyond them.