PlayStation Plus Gets a Price Increase Starting September 6

Keyser_Soze

e382112f9f2cd60fa2c446dcdd0e9956c414d1ac
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

New pricing changes to PlayStation Plus 12-Month plans.

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service. 

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period. 

Nail in the coffin for me. I've played all of the games in the back catalog that I wanted last year and new games are rarely added to PS plus before you can get them at bargain prices anyway. Definitely not renewing when my current annual sub expires.

At least (currently) Game Pass (PC) has day 1 releases to justify it's price.

33 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

So now, to play the games you already bought online:

$120 a year on Xbox consoles

$80 a year on PlayStation consoles

$20 a year on Nintendo platforms

$0 a year on Steam Deck

$0 a year on PC

$0 a year on mobile*   (*possibly mtx ridden)

We're going to see Nintendo hike next.

Where are you getting these figures.  You can still get a yearly Xbox multiplayer gaming sub for $60.

1 hour ago, Dexterryu said:

Nail in the coffin for me. I've played all of the games in the back catalog that I wanted last year and new games are rarely added to PS plus before you can get them at bargain prices anyway. Definitely not renewing when my current annual sub expires.

I don’t think one year access to all 1st party releases is worth $204 annually.

The other additions have to be what puts it over the edge.  Either that, or you play Games Pass stuff exclusively on PC, or you forgo online play.

Microsoft is definitely offering better options in the $120-140 range now, even on console.  I’d easily take day one 1st party releases over subscribing to play multiplayer.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t think one year access to all 1st party releases is worth $204 annually.

The other additions have to be puts it over the edge.  Either that, or you play Games Pass stuff exclusively on PC, or you forgo online play.

Microsoft is definitely offering better options in the $120-140 annual tier now though.  

If I'm playing a game online, it's on PC which costs me zero. Even with game pass I typically will only sign up for a month or two at a time if there is a game I specifically want to play but not long term. Charging anyone to play online is a money grab that I've never supported. The only reason I'd ever sign up for any of them is the games.

54 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Same, I'm done. Need to figure out how to turn off auto renew because I'm not paying that. I'm good until next summer but I can't even remember the last "free" game I played 

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Same, I'm done. Need to figure out how to turn off auto renew because I'm not paying that. I'm good until next summer but I can't even remember the last "free" game I played 

Sign in via a browser and go to manage subscriptions under account settings. Just did it myself :)

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

If I'm playing a game online, it's on PC which costs me zero. Even with game pass I typically will only sign up for a month or two at a time if there is a game I specifically want to play but not long term. Charging anyone to play online is a money grab that I've never supported. The only reason I'd ever sign up for any of them is the games.

That's how I feel, but there's also enough alternatives for cheap ownership today that I'm not so interested in the subscriptions.

Back in the day, you'd have to pay your $6 Blockbuster rental fee to play a new release.  Games Pass/PS Extra is a way better deal than that.  But I'm also patient enough with 99% of the indies and AA games out there to wait for Humble Choice or Epic giveaways.

If that faucet ever plugs up, I'd move (begrudgingly) to the subscriptions.

4 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That's how I feel, but there's also enough alternatives for cheap ownership today that I'm not so interested in the subscriptions.

Back in the day, you'd have to pay your $6 Blockbuster rental fee to play a new release.  Games Pass/PS Extra is a way better deal than that.  But I'm also patient enough with 99% of the indies and AA games out there to wait for Humble Choice or Epic giveaways.

Yeah but when you gave Blockbuster that $6 you could play any brand new release day 1 instead of a limited selection. Only reason I even do Games Pass is I get it for free through MS Rewards, they put all their first party games on there which with all the recent/upcoming acquisitions makes it worth it to me. 

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

Yeah but when you gave Blockbuster that $6 you could play any brand new release day 1 instead of a limited selection. Only reason I even do Games Pass is I get it for free through MS Rewards, they put all their first party games on there which with all the recent/upcoming acquisitions makes it worth it to me. 

That's true, but you'd also have to try to get through games in 3-5 days. :p

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

And that's if you the rental place had a copy that wasn't already checked out. I agree that these subs are a good deal... provided that they aren't month after lackluster month like PS Plus has been this summer.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The price increases in relative terms are nothing short of insane.

Essential: +33 1/3%

Extra: +35%

Premium: +33 1/3%

They've got to be goddamned kidding themselves.

But the """""""""""""""""""""""value"""""""""""""""""""""""!

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Only way this makes sense is if first party games start coming within 3-months or something (which won’t happen :p )

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My eyes literally bulged out of their sockets when I did the math for the relative price increases.

Unhinged.  Absolutely and utterly unhinged.

I agree. Only damn reason I even have essential is to play COD online. 

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It’s just adjusted for the inflation

in Turkey

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They'll get away with it and you know it. 

The old pricing was a relative steal compared to Microsoft's new tiers.  They also used the Core collection to justify a 2x increase on XBL Gold.  [EDIT: Incorrect, they still offer $60 annually] Inflationary pressures, yeah, that's it.

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Only way this makes sense is if first party games start coming within 3-months or something (which won’t happen :p )

It makes sense because someone else decided to charge more.

Soon, Nintendo.  It's gonna be hilarious if they decide to charge $40 and people here gawk at the percentage uptick.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That someone else gives first party games at launch and didn’t increase by nearly this high of a percentage :p 

On those already subbed to Games Pass.

What sense did it make for Sony to charge $100 annually for PS Extra when Live Ultimate would be $205?  They're the market leader.  Anyone not interested in games older than a gen ago was already being served pretty well by that difference.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

On those buying the highest all inclusive tier.

You don’t need Ultimate for day 1 releases, and none of the tiers were increased by this high of a percentage. If you just want Gold (now “Core”) the price was untouched at $60/year, where Essential is up by 33% for a year.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You don’t need Ultimate for day 1 releases, and none of the tiers were increased by this high of a percentage. If you just want Gold (now “Core”) the price was untouched at $60/year, where Essential is up by 33% for a year.

Clarified to say it was those already subbed to Games Pass.  You are right here regardless, I keep forgetting that Microsoft only hiked the monthly subscription rate for Gold/Core.

Baffles me that Sony took away the PS+ collection considering the hike here.