Castlevania: Nocturne September 28 | Netflix - update: Season 2 renewal announced

Going from the two games Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (years 1476-1479) to another two game pairing: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1792-1797). A 312 year time jump let's gooooo. Two of the best and most popular games in the series amongst fans getting adapted is hype. 

Fortunately the same directors who did nearly every episode of the previous show (Sam and Adam Deats) are back to direct this, which should keep the quality the same as before. No writer Warren Ellis, he's out for obvious reasons, with writer Clive Bradley replacing him. Seems like a solid writer but doesn't seem as good as Ellis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm VERY much looking forward to starting this series tonight!

It's very good.

When it became clear what themes they were going to be dealing with I was concerned they were gonna bungle it. I don't know that I'm really in a position to judge how well they accomplished it (this will make more sense when you start :p ) but I think they handled it respectfully at least and probably pretty well considering this is a vampire killing anime.

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

When it became clear what themes they were going to be dealing with I was concerned they were gonna bungle it. I don't know that I'm really in a position to judge how well they accomplished it (this will make more sense when you start :p ) but I think they handled it respectfully at least and probably pretty well considering this is a vampire killing anime.

Getting rid of Warren Ellis was perhaps a blessing.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

yooo that was a good ending

My only MINOR gripe about the whole affair...

Spoiler for the very ending of this season:

Spoiler

I get if you're gonna have Alucard show up, it's gotta be a rad moment. And it was! But I thought it was perhaps a TOUCH "cheap" that he OHKO'd the second in command after the whole squad basically did chipping damage to her across the whole season.

Also that connective tissue makes this feel like much less of a "spin-off" that they said it would be; it's obviously a straight up sequel. I wonder if that was to hide the Alucard reveal? Or just set the expectations that it wouldn't be about Trevor? Or make a clean break from Ellis? 

Again a TINY "beef" in what was otherwise a very satisfying season!

The first half was a little slow as they introduced us to the new characters, but the second half was fantastic and I think the character building in that first half paid off.

My wife was very pleased at the end

Spoiler

to see Alucard, because he was her favorite from the last "series" and now she's hyped for season 2 to see him fully back.

• Hype 1

I just binged the whole season, it was excellent. The animation continues to just get better and better and I liked how they kept the vibe and tone of the original show but still made these characters and the era it takes place in feel different. While a season 2 hasn't been announced yet, the way this season ends it seems like it's pretty much a lock for another season.

Spoiler

Was really cool to see Harmony of Dissonance main character Juste Belmont get some love as it makes sense fo rhim to show up here but obviously never did in the original Rondo of Blood. Continuing to tie the various games together where possible in the timeline is a smart move. Even more interesting is this version of Juste's story took the darkest of the three endings from Harmony of Dissonance. And of course seeing Alucard at the end to start laying down groundwork for Symphony of the Night was awesome.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:52 PM, Kal-El814 said:

My only MINOR gripe about the whole affair...

Spoiler for the very ending of this season:

Hide contents

Also that connective tissue makes this feel like much less of a "spin-off" that they said it would be; it's obviously a straight up sequel. I wonder if that was to hide the Alucard reveal? Or just set the expectations that it wouldn't be about Trevor? Or make a clean break from Ellis? 

I mean:

Spoiler

All the games are connected - any Castlevania game that has Alucard is going to be even more directly connected and Alucard shows up in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse and appears again in Symphony of the Night, so we always knew we were getting a pretty connected sequel. I wasn't sure if they'd hold Alucard back until season 2 but it was cool he got a badass entrance here. I do agree seemed a little unfair to Dolta for him to just KO her after they built her up a lot in the season.