Survey: Americans are world's most inclusive to immigrant citizens

My first time living abroad as an adult I was able to observe this in action. For example, when I lived in Chile (hilarious considering they are fourth on this list) I saw a lot of open hostility to me as an American. Which tbh I understood and didn't have a problem dealing with since the US was in the middle of turning Iraq into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. But there was also a lot of open hostility towards Peruvian immigrants. Also, Americans can at least hide their racism. But when I lived in South America it wasn't uncommon to hear horrifically stereotypical things about blacks and Asians—out in the open in normal conversation—that I won't bother repeating here. 

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

My first time living abroad as an adult I was able to observe this in action. For example, when I lived in Chile (hilarious considering they are fourth on this list) I saw a lot of open hostility to me as an American. Which tbh I understood and didn't have a problem dealing with since the US was in the middle of turning Iraq into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. But there was also a lot of open hostility towards Peruvian immigrants. Also, Americans can at least hide their racism. But when I lived in South America it wasn't uncommon to hear horrifically stereotypical things about blacks and Asians—out in the open in normal conversation—that I won't bother repeating here. 

Similarly, my brother went to Europe (Germany, Poland, Amsterdam) a month ago a recalled that casual racism seemed way more prevalent than he's seen in the US.  Particularly how people talked about foreign soccer players and stuff like that.

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

Similarly, my brother went to Europe (Germany, Poland, Amsterdam) a month ago a recalled that casual racism seemed way more prevalent than he's seen in the US.  Particularly how people talked about foreign soccer players and stuff like that.

Not surprising. Italy had that famous incident of shouting racist things at their own player on their national team because he's black.

A big part of the problem for European countries is that they expect you to completely drop your old identity and become simply French, or German, or whatever—they don't really have an analog of hyphenated-Americans. Whereas as long as you can interact with society properly while you're out in public we don't really care if you still retain large parts of your old identity.

Just now, Jason said:

A big part of the problem for European countries is that they expect you to completely drop your old identity and become simply French, or German, or whatever—they don't really have an analog of hyphenated-Americans. Whereas as long as you can interact with society properly while you're out in public we don't really care if you still retain large parts of your old identity.

The reason the North-American model is great is because while you still retain your own culture in private, your kids will move another step closer (or all the way) to the standard culture. So by allowing people to integrate slowly, it actually fosters better integration long-term than by segregating people up front if they refuse too 100% assimilate.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not surprising. Italy had that famous incident of shouting racist things at their own player on their national team because he's black.

Surprise racism and racial attitudes continues to shock me no matter where I am when I experience it. A few years ago, I moved to Marshall, Texas to teach at Wiley College (an HBCU where The Great Debaters was about and filmed). Some random guy at a gas station struck up a conversation with me (cause I have military plates) and when I said I was professor at Wiley, he started in about this black guy here and that black guy there in the most racist diatribe I'd ever heard. But he assumed because I was military that I totally was on his side about the whole thing. The amount of hatred coming from this random guy shocked the crap out of me in a town where one of its largest employers was the demographic this guy seemed to think was horrible enough that he'd bring it up in conversation.

• 4 years later...

The thing about canada is that there is no religion. the typical canadian is a punchline and we mostly laugh with each others. Doesn't mean people don't get mixed up. a lot of good times i had in high school, but it was perpetuated by race. Don't be weird about it.

As a white guy engaged to a black woman who travels Europe often with her.

fuck those racist fucks. Europeans only like people of color if they can play footie. Me and her have had less shit in rural Virginia than in Europe.

also nice necro bump. 

15 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

As a white guy engaged to a black woman who travels Europe often with her.

fuck those racist fucks. Europeans only like people of color if they can play footie. Me and her have had less shit in rural Virginia than in Europe.

also nice necro bump. 

throwing your partner into the mix seems wrong.

Despite all the failures of my nation, of which there are many, to the point where a marine is openly anti American, I still recognize we’re better than Europe on this topic. By far. The shit we’ve endured in Europe is far worse than what we’ve dealt with in the US.

So I bring her up because she’s the only way a cis straight white man could ever understand the struggle. It’s become visceral for me with her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

Despite all the failures of my nation, of which there are many, to the point where a marine is openly anti American, I still recognize we’re better than Europe on this topic. By far. The shit we’ve endured in Europe is far worse than what we’ve dealt with in the US.

So I bring her up because she’s the only way a cis straight white man could ever understand the struggle. It’s become visceral for me with her.

I know you haven't been around in a while but

Do Not Engage Lou Diamond Phillips GIF by ProdigalSonFox

When you see unogueen reply to something.

• Halal 1