Helldivers 2 announced for PS5/PC! - update (05/06): Managed Democracy restored!

SaysWho?

The entire game was about people blindly working together with foolish optimism to destroy any perceived threats, they basically trained the players to tactically nuke the game!

Glad to see Sony go "oh shit" instead of "fuck all y'all" though. Nice when people can actually make a difference and force a change for the better instead of just being mocked for ineffective "hysterical" boycotts while simultaneously being mocked for just accepting anything a corporation throws at them.

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The entire game was about people blindly working together with foolish optimism to destroy any perceived threats, they basically trained the players to tactically nuke the game!

Glad to see Sony go "oh shit" instead of "fuck all y'all" though. Nice when people can actually make a difference and force a change for the better instead of just being mocked for ineffective "hysterical" boycotts while simultaneously being mocked for just accepting anything a corporation throws at them.

The question is can the people in those 170 countries play the game again? 🤔

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The question is can the people in those 170 countries play the game again? 🤔

If there's no longer a PSN requirement, then there's nothing stopping folks in those countries from playing. Theoretically, never count Sony out!

31 minutes ago, Moa said:

I wish the playbase could muster 1/10th of this passion towards getting them to remove the shady ass anti-cheat.

It'd help if the normal response to a gamer complaining about some shady shit wasn't people immediately assuming they're just being big whiny bitches. It means a lot of people who otherwise would complain just don't. And those that do complain are often people taking it way too far, just kind of a self-fulfilling loop of dumbassery. Which for gaming discussions does make a lot of sense. It's what we're best at.

I'm all for bitching loudly about shady ass anti-cheat, fuck your kernal level anticheat and fuck the articles and people defending it like that's just a thing everyone should bend over and accept.

And fuck every game and app needing you to create or log in to an account while we're at it! Know what's less secure than my data in one place? My data literally fucking everywhere while companies are constantly suffering data breaches and sending me checks for $12 and a year of some identity protection bullshit where I put in a bunch more info!

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

If there's no longer a PSN requirement, then there's nothing stopping folks in those countries from playing. Theoretically, never count Sony out!

From what I understand the games stopped being sold there and people got refunds so I'm just asking if the game is being sold again?

and do those people trust Sony enough not to pull BS again in order to buy it again? (well that's a different question. - Kind of reminds me of that Unity nonsense that went on last year)

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

From what I understand the games stopped being sold there and people got refunds so I'm just asking if the game is being sold again?

and do those people trust Sony enough not to pull BS again in order to buy it again? (well that's a different question. - Kind of reminds me of that Unity nonsense that went on last year)

That was specifically because of the region limitations, but I don't have a 100% certain answer, but see no reason why it wouldn't just go back to how it was.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Helldivers 2 announced for PS5/PC! - update (05/06): Managed Democracy restored!
3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is all very well and good, but it does nothing to address the root cause that the PSN infrastructure appears to be unprepared/inadequate to support GAAS as a significant business initiative.

PSN has been the worst service of its kind since its inception.

• True 1

It's too late, just like @Commissar SFLUFAN's favorite Dark Tranquillity album, damage done. Even today still nearly 40% reviews are negative. The discussion page (if you're brave enough to look) is still split on the subject. Trust has not been regained.

(and saying split is generous because some of the positives are just jester farms)

1)  The fundamental problem is PSN.  There's nothing in this announcement that they will suggest they'll fix their region issues.  (Additional example, my PSN account is still locked in the US, and I am unable to transfer it to Canada.)

2)  Their announcement is very generic, only saying they won't be rolling out the patch right now.

3)  Cheating on PC is a huge issue in multiplayer games.  Steam does very little to prevent it.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

1)  The fundamental problem is PSN.  There's nothing in this announcement that they will suggest they'll fix their region issues.  (Additional example, my PSN account is still locked in the US, and I am unable to transfer it to Canada.)

2)  Their announcement is very generic, only saying they won't be rolling out the patch right now.

3)  Cheating on PC is a huge issue in multiplayer games.  Steam does very little to prevent it.

1. Yes. 

2. No. They didn't say right now. They said that the update will not be rolling forward, which means it's donezo, and further they said they're still learning about PC, meaning this has likely altered future plans for PSN integration being mandatory. 

3. Why would Steam as a baseline do anything about cheating? That's like saying Walmart doesn't do anything about cheating. Steam separately provides VAC if a dev wants to use it, sure, but developers are free to use any anti-cheat they like, also PSN isn't an anti-cheat so I fail to see how this is even relevant, doubly so in a co-op game. And it ain't about being able to ban people, because you can already do that, and a PSN account is just as easy and free to make as a Steam account.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's too late, just like @Commissar SFLUFAN's favorite Dark Tranquillity album, damage done. Even today still nearly 40% reviews are negative. The discussion page (if you're brave enough to look) is still split on the subject. Trust has not been regained.

(and saying split is generous because some of the positives are just jester farms)

Eh, I dunno about that.

GYHkoM9.png

In a period of time when most users were asleep or at work, the game has already flipped from overwhelmingly negative (worst possible rating) to mixed, with the overwhelming majority of reviews today being positive (and the announcement was made at midnight EST, so a lot more negative reviews rolled in as info propagated) --  I'm sure it'll be back to very positive or overwhelmingly positive within the next week unless something slows momentum. Trust was damaged and is not instantly regained, but too late? I don't know about that.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

1. Yes. 

2. No. They didn't say right now. They said that the update will not be rolling forward, which means it's donezo, and further they said they're still learning about PC, meaning this has likely altered future plans for PSN integration being mandatory. 

3. Why would Steam as a baseline do anything about cheating? That's like saying Walmart doesn't do anything about cheating. Steam separately provides VAC if a dev wants to use it, sure, but developers are free to use any anti-cheat they like, also PSN isn't an anti-cheat so I fail to see how this is even relevant, doubly so in a co-op game. And it ain't about being able to ban people, because you can already do that, and a PSN account is just as easy and free to make as a Steam account. 

2)  This was done over the weekend, which means they probably haven't fully decided what they're going to do going forward.  All they've said is the change they were going to make this week isn't happening.  

3)  Virtually every big multiplayer game requires a login to a system owned by the publisher.  One of those reasons is to better manage cheating, and other TOS violations.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

2)  This was done over the weekend, which means they probably haven't fully decided what they're going to do going forward.  All they've said is the change they were going to make this week isn't happening.  

3)  Virtually every big multiplayer game requires a login to a system owned by the publisher.  One of those reasons is to better manage cheating, and other TOS violations.

2. The wording is extremely clear at least for this update, and that's good enough for me to not blindly speculate until I have any more info than just assuming there's been a pause rather than a full-on retraction. Sony absolutely will not want a repeat of this. They're a very ego-heavy company.

3. I have yet to see any evidence over the past 2 decades of login systems becoming a thing of any login shit even remotely helping managing cheating (?? how would it) or other TOS violations.

To deal with cheating, you need anticheat, not login systems. The user is already logged in to an account, you can collect all relevant telemetry from that unless you're totally incompetent. There's nothing magical about an additional, secondary login system.

Im a loyal PS5 Helldiver who has been spreading Democracy and defending freedom all along. I firmly believe that when all these Hippy Draft Dodging Cry Baby Traitors return any Medals distributed during their absence should be withheld and Super Citizen Status revoked. For Super Earth!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 1

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Easy to say when you post 3 hours later!

Haha, didn't even realize the time difference. Was a very long night having to put one of our cats down, so I'm a little out of it.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

46 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Bruh.

I still don't get the appeal of this game. I tried playing when it launched and it seemed like a slow, chore to get into a session, clunky mess. When I finally got onto a planet, I had no idea what to do or what my objective was. Granted, this was over a month ago. Should I give it another go??

9 minutes ago, nublood said:

I still don't get the appeal of this game. I tried playing when it launched and it seemed like a slow, chore to get into a session, clunky mess. When I finally got onto a planet, I had no idea what to do or what my objective was. Granted, this was over a month ago. Should I give it another go??

yes, you should give it another go. it has cross-play and id be happy to run some missions with you to show you the ropes. this game can be solo’d but its infinitely better playing with people. 

• Like 1

hy5ufAn.jpeg
My son said the war bonds are so easy to earn, you would be an idiot to pay for it. 

I tried to tell him that not everyone has as much time to play as he does. He then proceeded to tell me that he doesn’t play that much. He only has 137 hours in the game. 

• Haha 2