The Xbox One reveal was 10 years ago.

CastletonSnob

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The original plan for Xbone was great. Sad they ditched it, we would be in a better place if it had been implemented.

It's funny because a lot of the backlash from back then is now the norm.

There are tons of video game shows coming out. A lot of game sales are shifting to digital, and you can share games (it turns out). Heck even the everyone freaking out about the kinect listening to you is part of your phone and other smart devices in your home.

Microsoft was ahead of the curve but just couldn't explain it correctly because they were run by a bunch of knuckleheads.

28 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's funny because a lot of the backlash from back then is now the norm.

There are tons of video game shows coming out. A lot of game sales are shifting to digital, and you can share games (it turns out). Heck even the everyone freaking out about the kinect listening to you is part of your phone and other smart devices in your home.

Microsoft was ahead of the curve but just couldn't explain it correctly because they were run by a bunch of knuckleheads.

I mean, when you completely focus on tv at a gaming show, you’re probably gonna get backlash from gamers.

and there was the awful kinect that “couldn’t be separated from the console” until it was separated months later lol.

25 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

I will always remember D1P user Hiawa (not certain of the spelling) having a meltdown after the conference and looking for reassurances about MS's strategy.

OMG totally forgot about that he lost his damn mind like seriously 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Absolutely correct. They had a great vision but were incompetent in messaging, and many of the things they were featuring are becoming standard requirements of gamers. Just imagine how much further down the road we would be if they just stuck to their guns and people realized how great this all was.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, when you completely focus on tv at a gaming show, you’re probably gonna get backlash from gamers.

Gaming consoles are used more to watch TV than play games. MS knew where things were going.

But the big backlash was about the focus on digital and always online devices. Turns out that is where we have gone anyway 😂

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Gaming consoles are used more to watch TV than play games. MS knew where things were going.

But the big backlash was about the focus on digital and always online devices. Turns out that is where we have gone anyway 😂

I agree, I’m not trying to say yhey weren’t correct, but the messaging was awful. The whole conference was TV and CoD, and game authentication to stop game trading, that and kinect are what people were most mad about. 

Do consoles log more hours playing media? Yes, but people still buy them for the games, I think the Switch proves that. Or even more, the Series X and its lack of them.

Going all in on the Kinect was a bigger mistake than the TV and digital decision. 

While the digital plan sounded great, I do remember Microsoft not being able to explain it well and if partners bought in on the plan. 

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

Going all in on the Kinect was a bigger mistake than the TV and digital decision. 

While the digital plan sounded great, I do remember Microsoft not being able to explain it well and if partners bought in on the plan. 

Especially since everyone already knew kinect wasn’t very good, and it was being forced on them. Kinects reputation wasn’t great, but it was optional before that. Forcing it was a bad choice.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Especially since everyone already knew kinect wasn’t very good, and it was being forced on them. Kinects reputation wasn’t great, but it was optional before that. Forcing it was a bad choice.

And it impacted the Xbone hardware. It was weaker due to the Kinect existence

On 5/22/2023 at 10:53 AM, gamer.tv said:

It’s almost amazing that the Wii U failed but the Xbox One survived. 

It goes to show that whatever Microsoft says about not being able to compete, they've never truly been in a position to fail.

If Phil never took over, it still would have ended better for them than the Wii U.