Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire - Official Title Reveal Teaser Trailer

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

This movie would most work for me if it's Kong-centric with Godzilla being used as a nuke at some point. I'm fine with giving Kong complex motivations to fill out a film, but Godzilla shouldn't be anything more than a territorial act of god.

Well Godzilla vs Kong was pretty much this. Kong was the Protogonist of the movie really and Godzilla is pretty much used as a force of nature. I love these movies.. any idea who this knew Kaju is and is he based on an existing Monster or is he entirely new?

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well Godzilla vs Kong was pretty much this. Kong was the Protogonist of the movie really and Godzilla is pretty much used as a force of nature. I love these movies.. any idea who this knew Kaju is and is he based on an existing Monster or is he entirely new?

And that's the number one reason why it worked as well as it did, even if Mecha-Godilla's design in that movie was so incredibly janky...not that it ever stopped me from buying one. Am I supposed to be missing one Mecha-Godzilla from my collection?

I always just worry about sequels since there's sometimes that voice in a writer's head to flesh out things that don't need further explaining.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

And that's the number one reason why it worked as well as it did, even if Mecha-Godilla's design in that movie was so incredibly janky...not that it ever stopped me from buying one. Am I supposed to be missing one Mecha-Godzilla from my collection?

I always just worry about sequels since there's sometimes that voice in a writer's head to flesh out things that don't need further explaining.

Yeah I hated Mecha Godzilla's design too... Too Michael Bay Transformers. Any guesses on who this Kaiju is? What's the name of that Lion Kaiju? King something... this one looks like another giant ape type though. Could this be another of Kong's race that survived?

EDIT: KING CEASAR! That's his name! Could this be him?

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I hated Mecha Godzilla's design too... Too Michael Bay Transformers. Any guesses on who this Kaiju is? What's the name of that Lion Kaiju? King something... this one looks like another giant ape type though. Could this be another of Kong's race that survived?

EDIT: KING CEASAR! That's his name! Could this be him?

Oh! I hadn't really thought of him. It could be. At first I had assumed it was a surviving ape from the kingdom they discovered in the hollow Earth, but King Caesar makes perfect sense with that Empire subtitle.

• Halal 1

think King Caesar was a “good guy” in the OG films? I doubt previous good/bad matters for the new movies, though, so it could certainly be him. :p 
Personally, I’d love to see Gigan or Destoroyah in the new films, but that def isn’t one of them in the teaser 

39 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

think King Caesar was a “good guy” in the OG films? I doubt previous good/bad matters for the new movies, though, so it could certainly be him. :p 
Personally, I’d love to see Gigan or Destoroyah in the new films, but that def isn’t one of them in the teaser 

He was good, but good is always relative. Whatever King Caesar is choosing to protect could always just not line up with what humans are hoping to protect.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

He was good, but good is always relative. Whatever King Caesar is choosing to protect could always not line to with what humans are hoping to protect.

For sure - I don’t expect these to follow the old formula, anyway. :p 

I think in the OG he was a protector of humans or some “divine house” of some family. It’s been forever since I watched any of those, though.

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

King Ceasar was more of a Lion right? This guy seems to definitely be more ape-like. Whatever I'm down. They can keep making these movies as far as I'm concerned. Give me Jet Jaguar and Anguirus!

He was one of those komainu, lion dog things, you see outside of shrines in Japan. I'd be down for a reimagining of King Caesar that's more komainu without the restraints of making something that's a suit some person has too be able to perform in.

I'd 100% be down for either of those. Just realized I don't have a good Jet Jaguar. I guess it's time to start trolling eBay.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

He was one of those komainu, lion dog things, you see outside of shrines in Japan. I'd be down for a reimagining of King Caesar that's more komainu without the restraints of making something that's a suit some person has too be able to perform in.

I'd 100% be down for either of those. Just realized I don't have a good Jet Jaguar. I guess it's time to start trolling eBay.

Pics of your collection or else! 

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pics of your collection or else! 

Ha, it is nothing to write home about. My office is just filled with robots. None of them are meant to be collectors items, so no boxes. They're just up for display with a few being ok for the kids to play with every so often. Kids want to play with Gamma 1 from DBS Super Hero? Cool. Kids want to play with my Mickey Mouse Voltron, no. It's really random. My most recent addition is the chicken from Robot Chicken and a tin toy Bender. I've still got an overpriced Gundam Aerial Rebuild on the way from the only not scalper I could find on eBay because that Gunpla has been sold out everywhere I look and is currently backordered to September. MS Gundam Witch from Mercury is apparently wildly popular.

You mentioned Jet Jaguar and it reminded me it's one major Godzilla mech I don't have aside from a Type 3. Only reason I don't have one of those is because I don't know if I want a toy or one of those sweet Lego MOCs....Or maybe one of the Evangaelion repaints.

Nobody can convince me this doesn't look amazing.

8d5d0ca2-7820-4535-80c4-dad493534d08.jpg
WWW.BIGBADTOYSTORE.COM

Godzilla and Evangelion come together in this Mechagodzilla model kit! Show your love for both of your favorite series with this model kit from BBTS.

I guess I had to pick up some hobby after getting divorced. Collecting toy robots to decorate my office has worked. I get new toy, kids have questions, we watch them on TV.

• Halal 2

I had fun with Godzilla vs Kong, so I'm sure I'll see this one in theaters just like I have with the other recent Godzilla and Kong movies. 

A major difference between this new "monsterverse" compared to the MCU is that once you've introduced the big team-up movie you can't really go back. Now that fans are used to having these two iconic characters together anything lesser will seem less exciting to them. This was a concern some movie critics had after the bonafide success of the the first Avengers film but solo films have still done well since then. Legendary seems to have the same concerns and don't seem to want to take their chances in going back to solo films, at least not for now.

25 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

A major difference between this new "monsterverse" compared to the MCU is that once you've introduced the big team-up movie you can't really go back. Now that fans are used to having these two iconic characters together anything lesser will seem less exciting to them. This was a concern some movie critics had after the bonafide success of the the first Avengers film but solo films have still done well since then. Legendary seems to have the same concerns and don't seem to want to take their chances in going back to solo films, at least not for now.

We'll see how it goes, but Legendary here has a Superman problem. It's hard to suspend your disbelief when it comes to world ending stakes facing Batman when Superman is just across the river. Likewise, it would be difficult to have world ending stakes face Kong when the world belongs to Godzilla. Marvel fixed this by lowering the stakes on some of their solo films. The Spider-Man films work because at no point do you start thinking that we really need Thor or the Hulk here.

It shouldn't be impossible, though. There's are personal stakes for Kong that night not rise to the level of Godzilla getting involved and there could be planetary threats that Kong may never become aware of.

Is the villain monster in this one just a bigger version of one of them? That's the classic way to make sequels in monster genres. Originals tend to use the monsters as a force of nature, or something inevitable that is caused by human actions (e.g. Jurassic Park, zombie movies, Godzilla, etc). The monsters/dinos are the force that is trying to destroy people, but the real story is about human evil or flaws. But then when they make a sequel, they have no idea where to go so just make the new monster bigger than the old one, ignoring that the story was never actually about the monster at all.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Is the villain monster in this one just a bigger version of one of them? That's the classic way to make sequels in monster genres. Originals tend to use the monsters as a force of nature, or something inevitable that is caused by human actions (e.g. Jurassic Park, zombie movies, Godzilla, etc). The monsters/dinos are the force that is trying to destroy people, but the real story is about human evil or flaws. But then when they make a sequel, they have no idea where to go so just make the new monster bigger than the old one, ignoring that the story was never actually about the monster at all.

I hope not because Godzilla has an entire 70 year deep menagerie of kaiju to pull from.

• Halal 1

• 7 months later...

Its crazy that these films follow the lineage from Godzilla ‘14

I cant decide if its lazy or smart that the new villain is a Kong variant.. King Louie if you will

smart because the Monsterverse original monsters have all been pretty much misses so why risk it… focus on King again and let him earn the “King” moniker

The running scene at the end is all kinds of bad.. the monsters were already moving incredibly fast last film completely undoing the mass the earlier films had established… now the lack of cities and such just throws the sense of scale even further into the dump… 

As always hoping for the best

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally saw this today... fun monster flick despite some iffy CGI. I don't know if they were rushed or the budget was cut (they were  probably rushed for time given the amount of CG in this movie) but some of the VFX didn't have the same level of detail as the previous films or even in some instances the Apple TV show. And speaking of the Apple show there's literally ZERO tie-in to it except for the existence of more portals I to the Hollow Earth guess. Despite that there's fun monster bashing action here... they can keep making these as far as I'm concerned but I don't know if we're going to get another Warner bros./Legendary Monsterverse movie... time will tell.