U.S. electric vehicle sales hit new records, and non-Tesla cars see huge growth, partly due to Biden's Inflation Reduction Act

07HxJtd7BJWNpwdcwXLF3OF-1.fit_lim.size_1
WWW.PCMAG.COM

Although gas-powered cars still dominate, EVs are gaining in popularity in the US, thanks in part to federal tax credits and more affordable vehicles.

Electric vehicles made up 7.1% of car sales in January 2023, a jump from 4.3% during the same time period last year, InsideEVs reports(Opens in a new window). Total car sales, gas and electric, remained on-par with the past two years, meaning EVs are a standout growth area in the automotive industry.

Out of the 87,708 battery-powered registrations, 57% were Teslas and 43% were from non-Tesla brands, such as Chevrolet, Ford, and Volkswagen. While Tesla remains dominant, its market share has taken a noticeable dive from 74% just one year ago.

Another big trend is the impact of federal tax credits. To qualify for the $7,500 credit, vehicles must be made in America and have a portion of their battery materials domestically sourced. There are also price caps on qualifying vehicles, and income caps on customers, to prevent federal funds from going to wealthy customers buying luxury vehicles.

tesla-model-3.jpg
INSIDEEVS.COM

The IRA boosted domestic BEV models, while imported ones suffered the most.

BEV registrations in January 2023:

Tesla (57% BEVs): 49,917 (up 34% from 37,128)
Non-Tesla (43% BEVs): 37,791 (up 186% from 13,210)
Total: 87,708 (up 74% from 50,338) and 7.1% share (up from 4.3%)

BEV registrations in January-December 2022:

Tesla (64% BEVs): 484,351 (up 41% from roughly 343,000)
Non-Tesla (36% BEVs): 272,183 (up 96% from roughly 139,000)
Total: 756,534 (up 57% from roughly 482,000) and 5.6% share (up from 3.1%)

BEV registrations (select brands) - January 2023:

Tesla - 49,917 (up 34% from 37,128) and 57% share (down form 74% a year ago)
Chevrolet - 8.5% share
Ford - 7.7% share
Volkswagen - 4.6% share
Hyundai - 3% share
BMW - 2,558 and 2.9% share
Rivian - 2.6% share
Mercedes-Benz - 2,142 and 2.4% share

BEV registrations in the US (select models) - January 2023:

Tesla Model Y - 28,833 (up 56%)
Tesla Model 3 - 17,526 (up 29%)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV - 4,928
Volkswagen ID.4 - 4,049 (up 251% from 1,153)
Ford Mustang Mach-E - 3,286 (up 19%)
Ford F-150 Lightning - 2,918
Tesla Model S or Model X - N/A
Chevrolet Bolt EV - 2,526
Hyundai Ioniq 5 - N/A
BMW i4 - 1,650 (up from 53 a year ago)
Outside top 10:
Rivian R1T - 1,536
Rivian R1S - 717

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

The average consumer isn’t buying these cars right now, amigo!

I know, it says so in the headline that sales of non-Tesla cars have significantly grown, not that they've been going crazy for years. Not to mention that @Keyser_Soze's comment was guessing about future sales, not current sales. I feel like we're having two different conversations.

8 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I know, it says so in the headline that sales of non-Tesla cars have significantly grown, not that they've been going crazy for years. Not to mention that @Keyser_Soze's comment was guessing about future sales, not current sales. I feel like we're having two different conversations.

Nissan isn't doing too well. They've kinda been in a downward spiral ever since Renault bought them. They freed themselves recently, but I'm willing to bet they shut down Infinity pretty soon and I don't think the Ariya is a car that's going to save them.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I’m saying I don’t anticipate the growth in the future happening with Nissan as the Ariya is boring and overpriced. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I’m saying I don’t anticipate the growth in the future happening with Nissan as the Ariya is boring and overpriced. 

It's a shame because Nissan was killing it until they were bought by Renault. Their R&D budget was put to basically nothing and even their "new" Z car is running on the 20 year old chassis of the 350Z. The last "truly new" Infinity was some rebadged Mercedes that sold so poorly it was cancelled in less than 2 years.

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

BEV registrations (select brands) - January 2023:

Tesla - 49,917 (up 34% from 37,128) and 57% share (down form 74% a year ago)

Tesla is finally getting competition in the battery space. Good on them for shipping 34% more cars though. I was dubious that they'd continue growing much as other brands showed up with EVs, but they're still finding new customers.

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Turns out the non stop ads I've seen are for Acura so my revised statement is:

I'm sure Acura will be make their way up the list soon!

Acura doesn't even have an EV out yet, just some SUV concept they showed in August. Might come out late this year or early next year.

20 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Tesla is finally getting competition in the battery space. Good on them for shipping 34% more cars though. I was dubious that they'd continue growing much as other brands showed up with EVs, but they're still finding new customers.

Having charging stations all over the place is probably a big part of that.

I ran the numbers on my Prius Prime, which I try to drive in EV mode as much as I can (pretty much whenever it's above -10C/14F). What I learned was:

• Costs about 4x less to use EV mode per km than gasoline, based on the price of electricity in my province
    • We have no surge pricing (government produces and distributes power through crown corporation), so I can charge anytime
  • Even though my province is one of the last few places in Canada to not be majority-renewable energy (81% of power in Canada is green, vs only 20% in Saskatchewan), it still ends up being greener to use that coal power to charge than to burn gasoline

Right now my "lifetime" fuel efficiency (after about ~2000km, most in winter) is 2.9L/100km (81mpg). However, I expect my summer efficiency to probably be <1.0L/100km (>235mpg). And really, only using gas when I need to go further than 50km in a single day.

I love driving in EV mode, and while of course the car still requires more maintenance than a full EV, it requires far less than a normal car. So, second bonus.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I ran the numbers on my Prius Prime, which I try to drive in EV mode as much as I can (pretty much whenever it's above -10C/14F). What I learned was:

• Costs about 4x less to use EV mode per km than gasoline, based on the price of electricity in my province
    • We have no surge pricing (government produces and distributes power through crown corporation), so I can charge anytime
  • Even though my province is one of the last few places in Canada to not be majority-renewable energy (81% of power in Canada is green, vs only 20% in Saskatchewan), it still ends up being greener to use that coal power to charge than to burn gasoline

Right now my "lifetime" fuel efficiency (after about ~2000km, most in winter) is 2.9L/100km (81mpg). However, I expect my summer efficiency to probably be <1.0L/100km (>235mpg). And really, only using gas when I need to go further than 50km in a single day.

I love driving in EV mode, and while of course the car still requires more maintenance than a full EV, it requires far less than a normal car. So, second bonus.

I loved my fusion plugin. I had a tank of gas last an entire year. Free charging at work so I could get to and from work on ev only almost all the time. No range anxiety. Average mpg for the 3 years I had it was 233.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I loved my fusion plugin. I had a tank of gas last an entire year. Free charging at work so I could get to and from work on ev only almost all the time. No range anxiety. Average mpg for the 3 years I had it was 233.

I recently learned that gasoline generally only has a shelf life of 3-6 months.  I don't know what happens beyond this (e.g. if it just burns less efficiently or what).

24 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I recently learned that gasoline generally only has a shelf life of 3-6 months.  I don't know what happens beyond this (e.g. if it just burns less efficiently or what).

I would by gas without ethanol, never seemed to have an issue.

2 hours ago, Nokra said:

Becomes harder to ignite and may start to gum up your system

2 hours ago, Ominous said:

I would by gas without ethanol, never seemed to have an issue.

Ethanol decays faster but regular gasoline still goes bad after some time. Both types react with oxygen and the more volatile carbons evaporate away, and all kinds of other additives can go any which way, but yeah the ethanol will also attract moisture which is bad for the fuel

• Thanks 1