I finally took the plunge on the Steam Deck

CastlevaniaNut18

6 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Congratz, enjoy your new toy when it arrives. I'm surprisingly active on mine. Nintendo hasn't even been booed up in a very long time now......lol

It was actually getting back into my Switch that made me consider the Deck. I’m currently absorbed in the new Fire Emblem, so my Switch isn’t going anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Husband has loved his all this time and I decided to go for it. Had some extra cash from Christmas and finally selling my PS4 Pro. 

I ordered the 64gb model, but I also ordered a 1tb nvme for $160, so it comes out cheaper than the most expensive model and I get more storage. 

Can’t wait to for it to arrive!

Very nice! A micro sd card is barely any slower also so don’t forget to add a 1tb one of those too!

I highly reccomend trying moonlight streaming on it and of course emudeck!

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Very nice! A micro sd card is barely any slower also so don’t forget to add a 1tb one of those too!

I highly reccomend trying moonlight streaming on it and of course emudeck!

We'll see. 1tb should be enough for a while. Not sure how much I'll be playing the big games on it. Definitely going to be my new home for indies. Husband got the 512gb version when they launched and added a 1tb micro SD.

I'm just really excited to get it in. Even though Switch is currently dominating my gaming time right now.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We'll see. 1tb should be enough for a while. Not sure how much I'll be playing the big games on it. Definitely going to be my new home for indies. Husband got the 512gb version when they launched and added a 1tb micro SD.

I'm just really excited to get it in. Even though Switch is currently dominating my gaming time right now.

As a handheld gamer it’s been a game changer not just with the generational leap but it’s changed how I game in a way by allowing me to really play the same games handheld and on tv. It’s really improved the amount of games I actually beat I feel. The feeling of just laying in bed and being able to play pretty much any game you can think of on this device, it’s so cool.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

As a handheld gamer it’s been a game changer not just with the generational leap but it’s changed how I game in a way by allowing me to really play the same games handheld and on tv. It’s really improved the amount of games I actually beat I feel. The feeling of just laying in bed and being able to play pretty much any game you can think of on this device, it’s so cool.

Yeah, that's what he does sometimes. Just goes to the bedroom, docks it, and plays PC games. I read a recent IGNB article on it a few days ago that really hyped me up on it.

• Halal 1

55 minutes ago, stepee said:

To be clear for me I just mean the cross save/buy functionality inherent to Steam vs before when I would choose between having a game on pc or on switch for portability. I would never hook it up to a tv myself.

He has docks for the bedroom and living room TVs. Then he has his own PC on a 48” OLED and of course our game room PC with the 65” OLED. The docks are convenient for when he just wants to lay in bed and play. 

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Enjoy! I love my deck so much. If you enjoy Switch, the Deck feels like the next gen version of it. And if you are an avid Steam player (which I believe you are), having that whole library brings it to another level.

It' gives steam sales new life as instead of the biggest games you're looking for deck games

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

The Deck is total Awesome Sauce. Love mine dearly, and is super comfortable to hold, and game for hours. What I also love about it is for those who want to just pick up, and game, it'll largely speaking do that ala Nintendo Switch. You don't really have to do much tinkering to get games to work. Valve has done an incredible job with the Proton Layer, plus SteamOS, and it's only going to get better!

• Halal 1

14 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The GPU on the Steam Deck is fine for the low resolution screen of a handheld.  It's also fine for playing older/less demanding games on a TV.

IMO, It's not strong enough to play modern games on a big screen though.

That's why I have a 3080 in my PC and upgrading the rest when AMD's revisions drop at the end of the month. PC has been my primary platform for a long time.

It shipped today! Too bad I'll be starting 3 nights of work the day it arrives, though.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's why I have a 3080 in my PC and upgrading the rest when AMD's revisions drop at the end of the month. PC has been my primary platform for a long time.

It shipped today! Too bad I'll be starting 3 nights of work the day it arrives, though.

Awesome it shipped! You going for the 7900x3d?

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

Very interested to hear your impressions. I’ve been teetering on getting one for a couple months now. I don’t have any kind of ability to play PC games(just have a work laptop) so that alone feels worth it. 

@Brian @GameDadGrant are two non pc gamers (well brian got a gaming laptop now too) who went in on deck and can maybe chime in on how that has been!

• Like 1

I originally got the Deck to be a laptop replacement. I thought I would dual boot it. Use SteamOS for games and emulation. Use Windows for personal/finance stuff and maybe any other service that doesn’t work great with Linux. 

This never truly materialized due to the window support being lackluster. I also found Linux to be a bit cumbersome for me. This is why I got a laptop in the end. 

I ultimately use Deck as a pure gaming handheld. I can play a lot of backlog games and some current games. Docking it and using a mouse and keyboard work great. The issues I had early on has been ironed out.

I mainly game on handhelds these days because I can play most of what I want on either the Deck or Switch. I take either one on the train when I commute to work with no issues.  It’s easier to squeeze time in with a young daughter with instant resume. 

There are definitely things I would like with a v2 (OLED, a better fan/cooling system, more integration with other services like Game Pass).  Overall I am happy with the purchase and will buy the next version. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Very interested to hear your impressions. I’ve been teetering on getting one for a couple months now. I don’t have any kind of ability to play PC games(just have a work laptop) so that alone feels worth it. 

It's pretty cool. Nice to get some "Nontendo" games on a portable finally. It's easy to use and works well for PC games (and Xbox/Playstation games).

Check out "In Retrospect" for a cool retro runner/platform game. 

• Halal 1

I think I'll consider the Deck depending on how Nintendo handles the Switch 2.

Right now, my PC is pretty much exclusively for AAA, and the Switch is for Nintendo, indies, and smaller titles. However, if the Switch 2 doesn't have backward compatibility, I'd seriously consider getting a Deck for anything non-Nintendo and never having to worry about backwards compatibility for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, Bjomesphat said:

I think I'll consider the Deck depending on how Nintendo handles the Switch 2.

Right now, my PC is pretty much exclusively for AAA, and the Switch is for Nintendo, indies, and smaller titles. However, if the Switch 2 doesn't have backward compatibility, I'd seriously consider getting a Deck for anything non-Nintendo and never having to worry about backwards compatibility for the foreseeable future.

Take the Steam Deck's hardware capabilities, slap the Nintendo logo on it, and there's your Switch 2. In terms of BC, I cannot imagine Nintendo not including it. It would be extremely boneheaded, and they've made some pretty boneheaded decisions in their time. 

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If they change architectures again (it's Nintentdo, so of COURSE they will) -- then I bet it won't be backwards compatible.

switch-blogroll-1656326807534-1656337488
WWW.IGN.COM

Following this week's Nintendo earnings report, Shigeru Miyamoto addressed whether a potential Nintendo Switch successor might support backwards compatibility.

That plus keeping their NVIDIA partnership means its more likely than not.

That's IGN's take they're reading between the lines.  Here's what he actually said on the matter.

"Having said so, Nintendo's strength is in our creation of new entertainment, so when we release new hardware going forward, we plan to continue to offer new and unique gameplay that cannot be realized on existing hardware," he added.