I finally took the plunge on the Steam Deck

CastlevaniaNut18

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’m just going to mess with some indies for the time being. I was thinking Apotheon. I’ve had it for years and barely played it. 

The nvme is actually a new release and not out yet. Amazon says it arrives Feb 15-16, so hopefully no delays. 

Is this nvme the actual exact right size so that you don’t need to cut anything or void warranty to use it? If so link please because I could use that!

Id definitely download one show off game to check out its power and feel that next gen handheld boost, but there’s like 500 games you can do that with so it’s hard to choose which one :P

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Is this nvme the actual exact right size so that you don’t need to cut anything or void warranty to use it? If so link please because I could use that!

Id definitely download one show off game to check out its power and feel that next gen handheld boost, but there’s like 500 games you can do that with so it’s hard to choose which one :P

According to my more knowledgeable half, it is. Here you go: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BQG6JCRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:50 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I ordered the 64gb model, but I also ordered a 1tb nvme for $160, so it comes out cheaper than the most expensive model and I get more storage. 

What's Valve banking on here? Their customers being too dumb to figure that "loophole" out? Why wouldn't they offer a sensibly priced higher-tier model to get the sales that would otherwise go to whoever produces these SSDs?

5 hours ago, Demut said:

What's Valve banking on here? Their customers being too dumb to figure that "loophole" out? Why wouldn't they offer a sensibly priced higher-tier model to get the sales that would otherwise go to whoever produces these SSDs?

There weren’t a lot of good cheap options when it originally launched and yeah people typically don’t like opening their equipment up.

And yeah, the price increases for the storage on the other models is obviously inflated to get some profit out of something they don’t get a lot of profit out of.

I'm asking why Valve would be so hell-bent on making a killing on the Steam Decks themselves. Their bread and butter is that quasi-monopoly on vidya distribution and selling the Steam Deck for cheap(ish) like other console manufacturers would be a no-brainer if their goal is to get some of that sweet, sweet handheld gaming pie. To that end they could even sell them at a loss, probably, and it'd still be a good idea (let alone simply pricing it fairly or even selling them at-cost).

18 minutes ago, Demut said:

I'm asking why Valve would be so hell-bent on making a killing on the Steam Decks themselves. Their bread and butter is that quasi-monopoly on vidya distribution and selling the Steam Deck for cheap(ish) like other console manufacturers would be a no-brainer if their goal is to get some of that sweet, sweet handheld gaming pie. To that end they could even sell them at a loss, probably, and it'd still be a good idea (let alone simply pricing it fairly or even selling them at-cost).

I think you're making a big assumption that they would sell substantially more steam decks if they priced their highest end model a little cheaper and that that increased number of sales would also lead to enough additional steam purchases to offset the cost.

Steam Deck is amazing, but at this stage it's still going to appeal to a niche audience, so I'm skeptical that it being a little cheaper would have broadened that audience much. Valve probably has much better data to make this decision than we do.