Turkey/Syria Earthquake (Update - 19 Feb 2023): reported fatalities exceed 46,000 with pace of rescues steadily declining

Currently reported fatalities stand at 1,300 but that is unfortunately certain to increase based on the images of "pancaked" apartment buildings being circulated.

The first quake was 7.8 magnitude at a depth of 11 miles and was followed by at least 30 aftershocks of greater than 4.0 magnitude, one of which measured 6.7 magnitude  A second quake of 7.5 magnitude at a depth of six miles truck about 9 hours later.

230206-syria-earthquake-mb-0845-fd7bbe.j
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

A 7.8-magnitude earthquake killed hundreds and left many trapped as it toppled buildings in southern Turkey and northern Syria on Monday. Follow live coverage.

• Sad 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Southern Turkey/northern Syria struck by a pair of 7.5+ magnitude shallow-depth earthquakes, potentially catastrophic damage/loss of life

What are good charities that provide aid in Turkiye? I've seen one recommended quite a bit in a resetera thread, but it only accepts wire transfers. I assume the Red Cross operates there?

EDIT - I also only just found out this morning through this that Turkey changed its English-spelling to Turkiye (technically Türkiye).

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Southern Türkiye/northern Syria struck by pair of 7.5+ magnitude shallow-depth earthquakes, potentially catastrophic damage/loss of life

My region rarely gets them and I didn’t notice it really today, but everyone seem to be talking about it. Buffalo got a 3.8 quake at 6:15am but my region was said to be closer to 4.2 I know minuscule in comparison but Mother Nature/Gaya/Whoever is going to be a weird bitch of a year to us. You hope for the best overseas but fuck it looks bad </3

10 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I experienced a small earthquake in Japan and it was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. I can only imagine what quakes like this must feel like.

If you ever want to avoid an earthquake just make sure to leave a place when I do. I moved to Detroit from Seattle and a few months later their big 2001 earthquake hit. When I came back to the U.S. from Chile their giant one in 2010 hit only a few months after I left.

47 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

If you ever want to avoid an earthquake just make sure to leave a place when I do. I moved to Detroit from Seattle and a few months later their big 2001 earthquake hit. When I came back to the U.S. from Chile their giant one in 2010 hit only a few months after I left.

Stop leaving Michigan!

This morning's grim data:

• Officially-reported fatalities now over 5,000
  • 8,000 people have been rescued from the rubble
  • 380,000 people have taken refuge in government shelters or hotels, with others huddling in shopping malls, stadiums, mosques and community centres.
  • Approximately 13 million people in Turkey have been impacted in some way (15% of total population)
  • Turkey’s disaster management agency said it had 11,342 reports of collapsed buildings, of which 5,775 had been confirmed. 
  • Practically every SAR team in Europe has been activated/deployed as well as teams from Central Asia, Israel, South Korea, and many others.
  • American SAR teams from Fairfax County, VA and Los Angeles County have been deployed.

The AP is keeping track of the international response:

3000.webp
APNEWS.COM

Structural engineers, soldiers, paramedics and handlers with trained search dogs are heading to Turkey and Syria to help locate and rescue survivors of Monday’s earthquake. Here's a glance at the assistance that's being provided:

• Sad 2

From The Guardian:

The combined death toll from Monday’s quakes has risen to 17,176 after the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, said the tally in Turkey had climbed to 14,014. A total of 3,162 have been reported dead by Syrian government officials and a rescue group in the rebel-held north-west of the country.

The first aid convoy to reach northwestern Syria since Monday’s devastating earthquake has crossed the Bab al-Hawa border crossing from Turkey, with six trucks carrying tents and hygiene products.