Justin Roiland faces domestic violence charges.

I like how people will be like “whatever happened to giving people a second chance and allowing them to better themselves?” in regards to “canceling” and then all these goobers ever do is double down and throw a temper tantrum.

It also gets lost I think that it’s real people these entertainers work with. It’s like any job, you don’t want to work with a guy who’s flirting with children in their spare time. The popularity of the thing you are working on being part of the lure that he uses to abuse kids. I don’t think people should be forced to be into that sorta thing. 

• True 2

Ya, I could get past the DV charges without actual evidence of jt. I have no idea what is up there, it’s absolutely possible that there’s nothing there, and that’s why charges were dropped, but….. and its a huge but, the pedo shit is completely unforgivable. Convenient how he ignored that part of the claims against him, and the actual evidence of it. Burn in hell.

• True 1

Had a big ol debate with my friends over the notion that charges being dropped doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. They seem to be of the stance that if the prosecution didn’t have enough evidence for a slam dunk then Roiland must not have done anything wrong. “It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove”. 

maybe my friends live in a fantasy world where if a person did something wrong there is always enough evidence for a conviction. And so now Hulu and Adult Swim have egg on their face and practically lynched Roiland who is 100 % innocent. 

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Had a big ol debate with my friends over the notion that charges being dropped doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. They seem to be of the stance that if the prosecution didn’t have enough evidence for a slam dunk then Roiland must not have done anything wrong. “It’s not what you know, it’s what you can prove”. 

maybe my friends live in a fantasy world where if a person did something wrong there is always enough evidence for a conviction. And so now Hulu and Adult Swim have egg on their face and practically lynched Roiland who is 100 % innocent. 

I blame TV and movies. They portray crime as a very definite 'if you do it then you WILL get caught and you WILL get locked up for a very long time'. 

There's also a chance the ex girlfriend was no longer wanting to cooperate just out of pure exhaustion. Going to court, where you HAVE to see and interact with your abuser, and being a witness for things that happened to you is tough. It often retraumatizes survivors. 

She may have not been the best whiteness either. Not that she’s lying, but if her credibility gets destroyed under cross examination then unless you have other reliable whitenesses that saw the whole thing, you don’t have a good case. And prosecutors won’t take something to court and waste time, money, and reputation on cases they don’t think is a slam dunk. 

It's almost pointless to speculate since we know so very little. Most likely he did some very bad things and there just isn't enough evidence to convict him of anything... or maybe she is just looking for a payday... who knows...

It seems pretty clear though that at the absolute minimum, this guy has a really messed up sense of humor that he uses to make people he has power over feel very uncomfortable... plus a toxic narcissistic personality and no self control.

22 minutes ago, ort said:

or maybe she is just looking for a payday...

This drives me bananas. What clout is there tho gain by claiming that you were harassed? The people that bring up claims against men with power get doxxed, harassed, doubted, accused of being liars and gold diggers. Where is the notion that someone coming out against someone like Roiland gets a payday coming from? What’s the possible route from claiming harassment to money here? Who’d be paying them? For what? The insistence that victims be perfect, or that they provide forensically solid levels of evidence when coming forward is just shockingly divorced from reality.

This is not directed at anyone specific, but I am begging people to listen to anyone they know IRL who has been harassed at work or in their personal life and reported it to HR, the police, or anybody with authority and see how that went for them. And if you know and are friends with a lot of women and none of them have ever shared an experience like this with you, it might be worth wondering why. This shit happens so much more often than people think, there’s simply no juice to be squeezed in the overwhelming majority of situations where it happens.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, stepee said:

I like how people will be like “whatever happened to giving people a second chance and allowing them to better themselves?” in regards to “canceling” and then all these goobers ever do is double down and throw a temper tantrum.

From the sounds of it he got plenty of second chances before he was forced out and the DV stuff was basically just the excuse they needed to finally cut him off on further chances.

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This drives me bananas. What clout is there tho gain by claiming that you were harassed? The people that bring up claims against men with power get doxxed, harassed, doubted, accused of being liars and gold diggers. Where is the notion that someone coming out against someone like Roiland gets a payday coming from? What’s the possible route from claiming harassment to money here? Who’d be paying them? For what? The insistence that victims be perfect, or that they provide forensically solid levels of evidence when coming forward is just shockingly divorced from reality.

This is not directed at anyone specific, but I am begging people to listen to anyone they know IRL who has been harassed at work or in their personal life and reported it to HR, the police, or anybody with authority and see how that went for them. And if you know and are friends with a lot of women and none of them have ever shared an experience like this with you, it might be worth wondering why. This shit happens so much more often than people think, there’s simply no juice to be squeezed in the overwhelming majority of situations where it happens.

To be fair: rich people get sued for stuff all the time because it’s often cheaper to settle a civil matter than to fight it.

But this wasn’t a civil suit, it was a criminal complaint!

I feel like even if you are on the side of nobody in power should ever suffer consequences type of cancel culture fear mongering you should be able to find it in your heart to at least allow canceling pedophiles. Like let’s at least allow that to be the line where it’s okay for consequences.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

To be fair: rich people get sued for stuff all the time because it’s often cheaper to settle a civil matter than to fight it.

But this wasn’t a civil suit, it was a criminal complaint!

Of course, but the claims of gold digging happen even when nobody’s being taken to court, getting paid by TMZ or whoever, etc.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Of course, but the claims of gold digging happen even when nobody’s being taken to court, getting paid by TMZ or whoever, etc.

There’s always the group who would never dream of holding men accountable for their actions. It’s always the fault of some temptress who just wants to destroy them. 

there are people who still pretend Tate is innocent. Im guessing some even actually believe it.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

She wouldn't be looking for clout, Roiland is worth tens of millions of dollars... and (clearly) has/had a LOT to lose... she would have been fishing for an out-of-court settlement...

And look, I'm not saying that's what is happening here... I was putting forth the best/worst case for what is happening from both perspectives. I was just putting out the spectrum of what it could be at the far ends of both sides, not saying that it was likely.

Me personally? My guess is that Roiland is guilty as fuck... he was abusive and some shit went down. Again, pure speculation, because who knows... but all the clues are right there...

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

51rHRElHvwL.jpg

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Why did they need a whole book to write $$$$$$$$$

was it though? None of the jurors got any money. 

The story of that trial is far more interesting than the story of the murder. It was quite a damn show when it was happening. It was a major conversation every day in high school when it was was happening. 

Jesus I'm old. 

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The story of that trial is far more interesting than the story of the murder. It was quite a damn show when it was happening. It was a major conversation every day in high school when it was was happening. 

Jesus I'm old. 

If he didn’t have $$ and wasn’t a star literally everything changes. His defense is totally different at that point.

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Jesus I'm old. 

I was in middle school at that time.

3-frail-old-man-with-walker-cartoon-clip

2 hours ago, ort said:

She wouldn't be looking for clout, Roiland is worth tens of millions of dollars... and (clearly) has/had a LOT to lose... she would have been fishing for an out-of-court settlement...

This was a criminal complaint -- not a civil complaint -- which means that the possibility of an out-of-court settlement simply does not exist.

• Thanks 2
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

1 hour ago, stepee said:

If he didn’t have $$ and wasn’t a star literally everything changes. His defense is totally different at that point.

I mean, yeah, but if he isn’t oj, Ito doesn’t let it turn into a circus, Furman probably doesn’t lie on the stand, there were so many gifts given to OJ that weren’t money in that trial.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I was in middle school at that time.

3-frail-old-man-with-walker-cartoon-clip

I still run every day, but definitely feel like this sometimes 

On 3/23/2023 at 3:08 PM, ort said:

And look, I'm not saying that's what is happening here... I was putting forth the best/worst case for what is happening from both perspectives. I was just putting out the spectrum of what it could be at the far ends of both sides, not saying that it was likely.

Me personally? My guess is that Roiland is guilty as fuck... he was abusive and some shit went down. Again, pure speculation, because who knows... but all the clues are right there...

Where are you getting the idea that Roiland is worth tens of millions from?  Rick and Morty is popular, but it’s not THAT popular.

26 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Where are you getting the idea that Roiland is worth tens of millions from?  Rick and Morty is popular, but it’s not THAT popular.

As was already said in reply to ort it was a criminal complaint so she wasn't looking for a payday regardless.