Justin Roiland faces domestic violence charges.

The only real solid number I’ve ever seen about Roiland is that he got a deal worth $100k+ per episode as co-creator of Rick and Morty when they extended the show with 70 episodes. He also got paid as an actor and writer on the show, and some others.

I would guess his lifetime earnings are not much more than 10 million, so hard to believe his net worth is anywhere near 10.

People have a wildly unrealistic expectation of how well people in animation are paid.  The only person I can recall who has made it really well from animation in recent memory is Seth MacFarlane, and that guy made THE biggest animation show of the past thirty years on a major cable network, a handful of other shows, and several movies.  

51 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

People have a wildly unrealistic expectation of how well people in animation are paid.  The only person I can recall who has made it really well from animation in recent memory is Seth MacFarlane, and that guy made THE biggest animation show of the past thirty years on a major cable network, a handful of other shows, and several movies.  

Well, Matt and Trey too (seems like it’s been around a lot longer but South Park was only two years before Family Guy). People are probably thinking of them and Matt Groening and thinking Roiland was up there already. I don’t think Rick and Morty was ever going to be on the level of those.

I do think with its success and Solar Opposites and then the success on the video game front with High On Life maybe he could have been heading to be worth ten of millions if he didn’t try to groom children. Still could make some good money some day tho depending on how his rights work out as co-creator of those shows if they continue to air and are sold into syndication or what have you. 

2 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

what animated show did Seth MacFarlane do on a cable network? 

• Halal 1

I don't know, I just pulled it out of my ass real quick without thinking about it that hard. Thinking about it more, yeah, he was probably wasn't worth tens (plural) but most likely was worth a decent amount. I do know that Google searches for celebrity net worths are based on very little and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Who knows what back end deals he has on all of the merchandise and whatnot... plus all the other stuff he was involved in... I really don't know...

I think the criminal complaint payout would come when he agrees to pay her some cash and she drops the charges? Again, this shit is complicated, I dunno.

Or maybe she said give me a bunch of money or I will make a criminal complaint, and he didn't so she did... (AGAIN, I am not saying this is what happened, just something that could have happened) Launch Roiland into the sun, I don't give a poo.

I like how this has turned into an entire page worth of discussion based on like a single sentence I wrote quickly just to try and highlight the extreme on one end (that I don't even agree with, like at all)

American Dad was bought by TBS but that was after like 12 years or something on FOX.

In regards to Roiland's net worth, take into account that he had other shows besides Rick & Morty that are likely now gone (ie: Solar Opposites) as well as his ownership of Squanch Games. That's why his net worth dropped from an estimated $7m to $2m.

4 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I will admit that I don’t know what the technical definition of a “network” is, but I see Fox referred to as a network often enough that I figured it was.  

Fox is indeed a network, but Fox is not a cable channel/network. Fox is like NBC or CBS, a cable network would be like Comedy Central or TBS.

• Thanks 1