YouTube's being stupid again.

Another year, another stupid policy change from YouTube.

Recently, YouTube put in a new policy that will demonetize videos that have swear words in the first 8 seconds.

charlie-white-cr1tikal-youtube.jpg
WWW.TUBEFILTER.COM

A change to YouTube's monetization policy has drawn complaints from its community. As creators deal with a fresh wave of yellow dollar signs, the platform

YouTube is so lucky it doesn't have any real competition, or nobody would use it.

Am I missing something? From the article, it says the change is that YouTube is switching their definition of "beginning of the video" from the nebulous first 30-ish seconds to the absolute first 8 seconds. Isn't that a good change? I get the complaint about YouTube not better announcing the change, but it seems anyone abiding by the previous rule would absolutely be clear in the new redefinition.

So if YouTube was demonetizing videos for cursing in the first ~30 second since 2019, why be upset about them changing that to only the first 8 seconds?

EDIT: I think I get the difference now. YouTube's previous policy was you will probably get demonetized for swearing in the first 30 or so seconds. Now the change is that you will absolutely get demonetized for swearing in the first 8 seconds.

I still think this is YouTubers being whiny. Just because they were skating by, being missed by YouTube's automod by pure chance doesn't make the change to less restrictive worse just because YouTube is better at filtering out swears and demonetizing videos for a rule that's been in place for several years

YouTube creators are the whiniest bunch of folks ever -- particularly the smaller channels.

YouTube is, reportedly, still not profitable for anyone but the creators.  YouTube is trying to sell ads, largely to big corporations -- who typically don't want to be associated with controversial content.  If you want $$$ from big corporations, sometimes you have to make some compromises to your vision -- even if it isn't dropping the f-bomb every 2 seconds.

• True 1

The biggest problem here is definitely that YouTube isn't more direct in communicating these changes to their creators.

Also, while YouTube itself is the one implementing these changes, I have to imagine it's advertisers that push for them. I do wonder if there were more platforms if they'd all be pressured into making these kinds of things or if it's easier for advertisers to focus on a single platform.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

YouTube creators are the whiniest bunch of folks ever -- particularly the smaller channels.

YouTube is, reportedly, still not profitable for anyone but the creators.  YouTube is trying to sell ads, largely to big corporations -- who typically don't want to be associated with controversial content.  If you want $$$ from big corporations, sometimes you have to make some compromises to your vision -- even if it isn't dropping the f-bomb every 2 seconds.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to complain that your source of income changes its rules on a whim, enforces them inconsistently, and communicates everything poorly.

And the notion that YouTube is doing this because they’re averse to “controversial content” when conspiracies, misinformation, and hate speech are all over the platform is just goofy as hell.

YouTube has gone too far in trying to be ad-friendly, and as a result, content has become sterile.

The onus is not on content creators to make their stuff appropriate for kids so little Johnny doesn't hear an F-bomb in the middle of a video. Parents need to better monitor what their kids watch.

• True 1

The term content creator always bothered me as I guess I have a different idea of what content is, and most of youtube seems like people showing off or talking about content made by other people though I guess technically if I film myself taking a shit it’s content so whatever.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

The term content creator always bothered me as I guess I have a different idea of what content is, and most of youtube seems like people showing off or talking about content made by other people though I guess technically if I film myself taking a shit it’s content so whatever.

The only REAL content dump TBH

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to complain that your source of income changes its rules on a whim, enforces them inconsistently, and communicates everything poorly.

And the notion that YouTube is doing this because they’re averse to “controversial content” when conspiracies, misinformation, and hate speech are all over the platform is just goofy as hell.

YouTube cares about selling ads to advertisers, they don't care about "controversial content" per se.   They only really care if advertisers do.

6 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

YouTube has gone too far in trying to be ad-friendly, and as a result, content has become sterile.

The onus is not on content creators to make their stuff appropriate for kids so little Johnny doesn't hear an F-bomb in the middle of a video. Parents need to better monitor what their kids watch.

I thought that creators had very few restrictions if they didn't care about being demonetized.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

YouTube cares about selling ads to advertisers, they don't care about "controversial content" per se.   They only really care if advertisers do.

I mean... sure. But it's a completely reasonable complaint for someone who depended on a stream of revenue from certain videos to have that cut off, again saying nothing about how "the first X seconds" of content needing to be free of specific words is just arbitrary.

idk, I don’t even visit youtube and I’m now aware of this change so I feel like most people who would actually depend on it for income are likely aware of the rule. And the rule itself is an easy fix to implement, just saying “Hi” at the start instead of “Fuckburger” should take care of 8 seconds.

It’s also probably hard to gauge how much a youtuber is actually upset over a rule like this since the nature of youtube means they will try to make a controversy out of it even if they didn’t care. 

They can complain, of course, but it won’t make me like and subscribe.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

They're not content creators, they leverage their market share in one of the most rentseeking platforms imaginable and peddle products along with whatever they talk about.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean... sure. But it's a completely reasonable complaint for someone who depended on a stream of revenue from certain videos to have that cut off, again saying nothing about how "the first X seconds" of content needing to be free of specific words is just arbitrary.

Yeah, but the rule has been no swearing in the first 30-ish seconds since 2019. The people upset about YouTube changing it to first 8 seconds are people that have escaped moderation by pure chance. This is YouTube actually better enforcing rules that have existed for years, but also making it less onerous on content creators. How so? Because before YouTube never told anyone what the exact timing was and told everyone "somewhere around 30 seconds" and now we know it's exactly 8 seconds.

Regardless. I'd love to see someone point out another platform that's better for content creators than YouTube. Everyone complains about YouTube being unfair or not doing good enough, but they are so far ahead of every other platform in being creator friendly that's it's ridiculous that anyone would think otherwise. The only issue here is that YouTube announced the change through on their own community forum and didn't like, send an email to everyone? Announce it on another platform like Facebook and Twitter?

Even still, content creators can swear all they want. They just can't in the first 8 seconds which, again, is an upgrade over the first ~30.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, but the rule has been no swearing in the first 30-ish seconds since 2019. The people upset about YouTube changing it to first 8 seconds are people that have escaped moderation by pure chance. This is YouTube actually better enforcing rules that have existed for years, but also making it less onerous on content creators. How so? Because before YouTube never told anyone what the exact timing was and told everyone "somewhere around 30 seconds" and now we know it's exactly 8 seconds.

Regardless. I'd love to see someone point out another platform that's better for content creators than YouTube. Everyone complains about YouTube being unfair or not doing good enough, but they are so far ahead of every other platform in being creator friendly that's it's ridiculous that anyone would think otherwise. The only issue here is that YouTube announced the change through on their own community forum and didn't like, send an email to everyone? Announce it on another platform like Facebook and Twitter?

Even still, content creators can swear all they want. They just can't in the first 8 seconds which, again, is an upgrade over the first ~30.

Inconsistently enforced rules are bad and I don't blame people for being bent out of shape that something intermittently enforced is actually being enforced regardless of whether or not I think the restriction is reasonable (which I do). From what I know YouTube is better for content creators than other platforms, especially for the very popular accounts which I'd wager all generally conform to this now anyway.

5 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

So you were the guy who liked those pregnant Elsa videos in the kid's section?

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I feel like this is one of those "no perfect system" situations.

Yes, it's stupid that they chose the arbitrary rule "no swearing in the first 8-15 seconds" as the line in the sand. On the other hand, that line has to be drawn somewhere to make the advertisers happy. 

Seems really odd that people are practically defending youtube for retroactively demonetizing people who did everything right until YouTube changed the rules. If your job had a sudden dress code change and you were written up for all the past times you didn't follow the new dress code you'd be fuckin pissed.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Seems really odd that people are practically defending youtube for retroactively demonetizing people who did everything right until YouTube changed the rules. If your job had a sudden dress code change and you were written up for all the past times you didn't follow the new dress code you'd be fuckin pissed.

Agreed, that part is very dumb. 

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

How far back are they going? If it's before today and break to 2019, well the rule has been in place since then. If they're going back before 2019, that does sucks and I feel like just muting the audio would be good enough.