What the hell is wrong with comedians right now?

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Complaining about “cancel culture” is just trying to suppress peoples right to free speech and protest anyway.

Its just some cracks started to show in the shield of protection that the privileged have and “cancel culture” is their way of repairing those cracks by trying to take away the ammo from the people by shaming them for speaking out.

Season 9 Laughing GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

No one is trying to censor anyone though. Groups of people stating publicly on social media: "we don't like this person anymore/never did" is not censoring anyone. If anyone got chuckles out of his very serious TERF talk, I'd argue they are very likely anti-trans, and that's my point.

Insult comics don't punch down. Bad ones do. Again, as I explained to sblfilms, it's about context (see my previous post). Since I elaborated on it there, lemme know what you think, but no, punching down never works. A joke can be mean, that's not the same thing as punching down. And you say: "outrage is just going to create more outrage that then others make fun of". Well, what's your solution? Just let anyone run roughshod over other groups in very public forums and public platforms? Outrage is the start of the process.

I haven't met this "twitter echo chamber" that wants to "silence" certain comedians. But yeah, if someone is spewing hate and using "comedy" as a platform, trying to ice them out by making their hate and bigotry public is absolutely fair game. There's a difference between not conforming and being a hate monger. And did you just try to Charlottesville, VA "both sides" this debate? How is one side wanting to stop hate spewing by the other side hypocritical? Or that the hypocrisy is equal on both sides?

Nobody tried to cancel anyone? Seriously dude?

Did uou miss the Chapelle outrage where public employees were demanding his special be taken down and Netflix stop working with him?

Yes, clearly it didn't work, but it ne er even should have been considered. 

5 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I have no idea what any of this means! 😅 

Probably a good thing 

A bunch of Games Journalists refuse to cover it, wanted people to boycott, and then got upset when the really expensive box set went up and sold out in under three minutes. Some attacked fans for pre-ordering it, they got trolled for it with people showing their receipts to them. Also, Resetera won't allow talk of Hogwarts Legacy on the site, because they live in fantasy land. 

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Did uou miss the Chapelle outrage where public employees were demanding his special be taken down and Netflix stop working with him?

A bunch of Games Journalists refuse to cover it, wanted people to boycott, and then got upset when the really expensive box set went up and sold out in under three minutes. Some attacked fans for pre-ordering it, they got trolled for it with people showing their receipts to them. Also, Resetera won't allow talk of Hogwarts Legacy on the site, because they live in fantasy land. 

Episode 7 Movie GIF by Star Wars

20 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

They aren't "cancelling" someone, they are protesting Netflix giving him a platform. Protesting a performer because you don't like their hate speech is perfectly within a person's right, so I don't agree that it "never even should have been considered". That doesn't mean don't release the special you already made, but calling something out is perfectly normal. As for the internet, that is a very small segment and not representative of anything.

Again, just because something is subjective doesn't mean everything is allowed. Just like morality, it is all subjective, but laws are in place that account for all kinds of different contexts. Same with comedy - there are all kinds of fluid, abstract contexts to the humor which causes some humor to be harmful or considered theoretical hate speech and humor that is funny because it works in context. Just because morality is subjective doesn't mean everything is allowed, hence laws. Comedy is subjective as well, but that also doesn't mean everything is just flatly allowed, like with human laws, society will decide, and that is intersubjective. 

The people trying to "cancel" Dave Chappelle aren't "cancelling" him. I'm not sure people know what the term cancelling means. Groups of people protesting someone in a public sphere because of their speech, asking/demanding to curtail their hate speech in private forums is their due right. It is then the right of the company/venue/whatever to decide if more money or reputation is being lost hosting or platforming the person than not and can choose to keep the act/guest or not. But what does "cancelling" Chappelle mean? He's not going to court like Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey. He isn't prevented from working in venues, having specials, making money, etc. Protesting a person for their speech or behavior is the most normal thing in the world and it is either successful because enough people in society agreed with you and banded with you to shun that person out of their industry or it doesn't work and the person keeps working. Clearly, Chappelle's hate towards trans and the poors isn't enough in this society to get him "cancelled" even if that's what, I imagine, a lot of trans people might want. But most of them will be content to just ignore him. Hosting someone in a public forum is an inherently political act if they are controversial, and Chappelle has taken strong stances that have political connections to it and he is controversial so for some trans people at Netflix or SNL to want to not work with him or not want him to be there is normal. 

I'd imagine people would feel strongly towards Musk, Trump, Bezos, or even more aggressive comedians than Chappelle  as well.

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

People complaining on the Internet isn't a thing anybody should pay attention to. Look hard enough and there are people trying to cancel someone over anything. The fact that bloggers and journalists write up an articles about these dozens of upset people is just making a living.

Shocker, the real world isn't Twitter and people upset on Twitter doesn't amount to much.

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One of these things is not like the other :mthinking:

Hahaha I just mean to point out controversial figures that go on things like SNL and are very public figures is all that rile the left up. :p I don't know a lot of alt-right comedians but I know they exist. It's usually pretty cringe comedy as I recall.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I am curious as to why you believe this. It feels like the sort of thing that has caught on in internet chatter about comedy in the last 10 years, but I haven’t seen anybody actually articulate why a joke can’t be funny (the actual job of a comedian!) if you are “punching down”.

It's been a thing for a while longer than 10 years; Carlin made the observation way back when and he's not the first. But I'd agree that it's caught on more recently particularly online.

I think jokes that punch down can be funny, a lot of it is content, tone, and delivery. There are funny jokes and observations to be made about trans people and the experience of being trans. Someone as talented as Chappelle is probably equipped to write and deliver them. But he's decided it's funnier to get a rise out of people by saying he's on team terf, or to have an SNL monologue where he puts the thinnest veneer on the positively ancient, "Jews run Hollywood," bit, so... that's what we're left to talk about. Maybe in hindsight we shouldn't have expected more from someone who thought it was funny to have a draft to determine whether Tiger Woods was black OR Asian? Who knows.

Regardless, i assume this is a largely online phenomenon, as Chappelle still packs people in, CK is getting Emmys, etc.

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Theres definitely a lot of hypocrisy on both sides, but imo, people trying to censor others art,even when they fail, are worst than those making fun of their attempts to silence them. They aren’t canceled, per we, but the attempt was certainly made.

This is fucking dumb, nobody is trying to censor Chappelle. Fans clapping back at comedians is not the same as censorship, he's at no risk of being deplatformed, he could show up at any comedy club and be given the stage, his checks from Netflix have 8 digits before we get to cents. Stop.

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nobody knows what cancelling means because white people ruined it like always 

On behalf of white people... we CAN do better and we almost certainly WON'T do better.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

"Woke" is another one they appropriated and then fucked up.

My woke-ometer started blowing up once people other than white people started posting ITT, and if confirmation bias muscles were physical and not mental I'd be fucking SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

People complaining on the Internet isn't a thing anybody should pay attention to. Look hard enough and there are people trying to cancel someone over anything. The fact that bloggers and journalists write up an articles about these dozens of upset people is just making a living.

Shocker, the real world isn't Twitter and people upset on Twitter doesn't amount to much.

It really sucks that all you need for a "news" story these days is a couple of random tweets from nobodies, and suddenly it's "The Internet is saying _____". 

• Halal 3

18 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It really sucks that all you need for a "news" story these days is a couple of random tweets from nobodies, and suddenly it's "The Internet is saying _____". 

Yeah, but then after you write that article and quote the tweet, the tweet goes viral and by now it would be journalistic malpractice not to cover the story.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

"Woke" is another one they appropriated and then fucked up.

I agree with this. I said on discord this is basically like using the n-word. Because by their own definition most of the time they are upset about a black person, or person of color being represented. I get sick every time I hear the term. At least be honest with your intentions and say, I'd be fine with a straight up n-word over woke. Woke carries the cringe factor of a white person using a black person's lexicon and racist undertones of what they are saying.

• True 2
  • Hugs 1

52 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I agree with this. I said on discord this is basically like using the n-word. Because by their own definition most of the time they are upset about a black person, or person of color being represented. I get sick every time I hear the term. At least be honest with your intentions and say, I'd be fine with a straight up n-word over woke. Woke carries the cringe factor of a white person using a black person's lexicon and racist undertones of what they are saying.

100%

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I still remember when that "I'm not racist" dude on Twitter used AI to change Halle Bailey white in The Little Mermaid poster, but not because he's racist but because she's a woke actress.

• Halal 2

23 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This entire discussion makes me very glad that my sense of humor died a long time ago.

The only group of people that contribute less to society than than comedians are editorialists.

Funny you mention that.

I saw Lewis Black this year (met him backstage, and he’s great), and he did a a bit about people who see him on a whim and are offended by his political observations (ironically, people who say to get a sense of humor are the ones walking out if he talks guns or makes fun of Trump or DeSantis).

He said two things that you’ll probably agree with:  

1. The worst thing you can do to a comedian is not laugh.
  2. If it makes them feel better, he’s done comedy for decades and “nothing I’ve said has ever had an influence on anything.”

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Funny you mention that.

I saw Lewis Black this year (met him backstage, and he’s great), and he did a a bit about people who see him on a whim and are offended by his political observations (ironically, people who say to get a sense of humor are the ones walking out if he talks guns or makes fun of Trump or DeSantis).

He said two things that you’ll probably agree with:  

1. The worst thing you can do to a comedian is not laugh.
  2. If it makes them feel better, he’s done comedy for decades and “nothing I’ve said has ever had an influence on anything.”

I'll disagree with this a little because we now have a generation whose primary source of news is John Oliver, Trevor Noah and John Stewart. All do a great job of raising awareness of certain issues but at the end of the day, they are still comedians. They are entertainers FIRST. John Stewart USED to run from being seen as some kind of thought leader now he embraces it. Bill Maher, Stephen Colbert, Joe Rogan, Sam Bee,W. Kamau Bell... all comedians who are ALSO very influential in our public discourse for better or worse. So while no one paid attention to comedians in Black's era, they DEFINITELY do now.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:26 AM, TheLeon said:

As an embarrassingly white dude, whenever I say "woke" out loud, it's always accompanied with a deep, apologetic sigh. 

The embarrassment of having been born a certain way will melt away like pounds when facing a Billy Blanks VHS if you just stop actually saying "woke" out loud. 

3 hours ago, stepee said:

As a recovering alcoholic myself I appreciated that. My goodness his audience couldn’t read the room in the beginning lol

Same. That was good. BTW, I'm really proud of you for going sober. As a recovering alcoholic myself, I understand all about it. Thankfully I honestly have no desire to drink. Maybe it's the medication I'm on. I struggled with marijuana earlier this year so I had to stop that too. I did a little on Thanksgiving but I'm done.

• Hugs 1