Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

Played some Portal RTX on my 3070 Ti tonight and it looks fantastic on ultra settings at 2k. No idea what the framerate was but it felt smooth, though when I hit Alt+X to bring up the NVIDIA dev options it told me I only had between 3 and 10% video memory left. :lol:

On 12/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, Spork3245 said:

Where are the DLSS options in Portal RTX? I only see quality settings and resolution.

I’m sure you figured this out by now but it’s Alt+x to get those settings then turn dlss3 to custom so you can adjust the dlss quality. I also turned bounced up due to yolo.

Wish they could mod gamepad support in, there is a community template to use at least in big picture mode. 

Auto hdr doesn’t seem to work? That’s too bad, I might have to get special K going. 

• Halal 1

@Spork3245 you try out NFS Unbound? It’s DLSS3 and looks really really good maxed out at native 5.5k/120fps! The game itself is the best NFS since hot pursuit and probably better than hot pursuit so there’s that too! It’s on Gamepass Ultimate for 10 hours so worth a shot for the pretty. I’ll probably be running over the 10 hours and then I’ll pick it up.

Finally tried Portal Rtx last night and what a joy! Great game to do this with, it’s something I’ll easily replay and once I got the gamepad working it felt just like a full on bluepoint style remake. Absolutely stunning in motion, the future is looking so good. 

I think the Steam gamepad recommendation is wrong. It had me using steam input and emulating a mouse with the right stick, which meant no smooth camera pans in a release all about graphics. The proper way is to enable gamepad in game in the mouse menu and select generic gamepad instead of Xbox in Steam settings. You can tell if it’s right if hitting starts just says “pause”. And because the camera pans will be smooth.

lol and every time I play Miles I feel so spoiled , which I suppose I am, but you get the ps5 quality mode, bump the ray traced reflections WAY up, improve all around detail a little more; increase the lod and add in ray traced shadows, and still bump its performance 3-4 times from 30-40fps to 120fps, and 16x Af make the IQ better too. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

lol and every time I play Miles I feel so spoiled , which I suppose I am, but you get the ps5 quality mode, bump the ray traced reflections WAY up, improve all around detail a little more; increase the lod and add in ray traced shadows, and still bump its performance 3-4 times from 30-40fps to 120fps, and 16x Af make the IQ better too. 

That's freakin awesome. 

On 12/10/2022 at 4:15 PM, stepee said:

@Spork3245 you try out NFS Unbound? It’s DLSS3 and looks really really good maxed out at native 5.5k/120fps! The game itself is the best NFS since hot pursuit and probably better than hot pursuit so there’s that too! It’s on Gamepass Ultimate for 10 hours so worth a shot for the pretty. I’ll probably be running over the 10 hours and then I’ll pick it up.

Finally tried Portal Rtx last night and what a joy! Great game to do this with, it’s something I’ll easily replay and once I got the gamepad working it felt just like a full on bluepoint style remake. Absolutely stunning in motion, the future is looking so good. 

I think the Steam gamepad recommendation is wrong. It had me using steam input and emulating a mouse with the right stick, which meant no smooth camera pans in a release all about graphics. The proper way is to enable gamepad in game in the mouse menu and select generic gamepad instead of Xbox in Steam settings. You can tell if it’s right if hitting starts just says “pause”. And because the camera pans will be smooth.

Sorry, just seeing your tag! I have not tried the new NFS, I didn’t know there was a trial on GP so I might actually check it out!

• Like 1

On the flip side, if you DO still want to yolo and get a 4080, they are indeed in stock it seems. I just checked best buy and you have to do this line thing and have it check inventory, but it looks like I’d be able to pick a regular $1200 msrp one up on the 24th if I wanted to.

22 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

LxRpHeg.png

No one should be supporting Nvidia's market practice with the 4080.

50% price increase from previous gen's comparative card, while manufacturing costs most likely decreased or at worst stayed the same.

Full video.

They made this video before the new AMD GPU launch. The 4080 is the #1 selling GPU on Newegg now.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Isn’t AMD doing the same thing? Smaller node and much higher price?

Well, the 7900XTX is cheaper than the launch price of the 6950XTX ($1k vs $1.1k), BUT, after seeing the benchmarks, I'd argue that the 7900XTX is a worse value than the 4080 when the difference in RT (and larger performance gain with DLSS vs FSR) is taken into consideration. The 4080 should really be $1-1.1k, IMO. $1.2k is such a questionable area, despite the price-to-performance working out slightly better than a 4090. I strongly disagree with people who think it should be $800.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Isn’t AMD doing the same thing? Smaller node and much higher price?

What AMD is doing is taking the 6900XT replacement and calling it the XTX and taking the 6800XT replacement and calling it the 7900XT. So from 650 to 900. 

Got my 7900XTX yesterday but after replacement my PC won't turn on. F

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Could it be your power supply? What size do you have?

1000 watt. It's weird was working literraly a few hours before I got it. PC was sleeping and I woke it up to shut it down and even going back to the 6800XT still nothing. Maybe I damaged the mobo without noticing at some point. CMOS clearing lead to nothing. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Zaku3 said:

1000 watt. It's weird was working literraly a few hours before I got it. PC was sleeping and I woke it up to shut it down and even going back to the 6800XT still nothing. Maybe I damaged the mobo without noticing at some point. CMOS clearing lead to nothing. 

F.

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Well, the 7900XTX is cheaper than the launch price of the 6950XTX ($1k vs $1.1k), BUT, after seeing the benchmarks, I'd argue that the 7900XTX is a worse value than the 4080 when the difference in RT (and larger performance gain with DLSS vs FSR) is taken into consideration. The 4080 should really be $1-1.1k, IMO. $1.2k is such a questionable area, despite the price-to-performance working out slightly better than a 4090. I strongly disagree with people who think it should be $800.

I feel the 4080 16gb should have been 1k and called a TI, the original 12gb 4080 should have been the only 4080 and $800. If it were me I would have raised the price of the 4090 to $1800 as well, I think the press would have been sooo much better with something like this. 

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

I feel the 4080 16gb should have been 1k and called a TI, the original 12gb 4080 should have been the only 4080 and $800. If it were me I would have raised the price of the 4090 to $1800 as well, I think the press would have been sooo much better with something like this. 

I disagree about the 12gb. The 4070/4070 Ti moniker is proper for it since it's probably going to match a 3090 Ti going by early reports/rumors. That would've been embarrassing for nVidia to release a 4080 that's 1:1 with their previous flagship IMO :p 

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I disagree about the 12gb. The 4070/4070 Ti moniker is proper for it since it's probably going to match a 3090 Ti going by early reports/rumors. That would've been embarrassing for nVidia to release a 4080 that's 1:1 with their previous flagship IMO :p 

Well, something different like that lol.

But yeah it’s harder to match generations cause it used to be the 80 was considered the flagship and the titan it’s own thing and now you have the the 80, 80ti, 90, 90ti. So now we are comparing the 80 to a flagship card that was released in the same year for two thousand dollars, matching that performance and far exceeding it when dlls3 is involved for $800 doesn’t seem super embarrassing or different than say a 2080 vs Titan Xp. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, something different like that lol.

But yeah it’s harder to match generations cause it used to be the 80 was considered the flagship and the titan it’s own thing and now you have the the 80, 80ti, 90, 90ti. So now we are comparing the 80 to a flagship card that was released in the same year for two thousand dollars, matching that performance and far exceeding it when dlls3 is involved for $800 doesn’t seem super embarrassing or different than say a 2080 vs Titan Xp. 

Even with the extension of names, though, for a bit now it's been xx70/70 Ti matches or slightly exceeds the previous flagship, 80 beats it for cheaper, Titan/90 more-so but for a stupid price. The biggest issue is that they didn't make the xx80 a deal this time, they priced it based off the difference in performance: the 4090 is about 30% more performance for 33% more money.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Even with the extension of names, though, for a bit now it's been xx70/70 Ti matches or slightly exceeds the previous flagship, 80 beats it for cheaper, Titan/90 more-so but for a stupid price. The biggest issue is that they didn't make the xx80 a deal this time, they priced it based off the difference in performance: the 4090 is about 30% more performance for 33% more money.

Honestly my main takeaway is I would have sold the 4090 more :P

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Is that because they have layers now or maybe i just misunderstood it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_nm_process

The term "5 nm" has no relation to any actual physical feature (such as gate length, metal pitch or gate pitch) of the transistors being 5 nanometers in size.”

According to the projections contained in the 2021 update of the International Roadmap for Devices and Systems published by IEEE Standards Association Industry Connection, a "5 nm node is expected to have a contacted gate pitch of 51 nanometers and a tightest metal pitch of 30 nanometers".[3] However, in real world commercial practice, "5 nm" is used primarily as a marketing term by individual microchip manufacturers to refer to a new, improved generation of silicon semiconductor chips in terms of increased transistor density (i.e. a higher degree of miniaturization), increased speed and reduced power consumption compared to the previous 7 nm process.”

On 12/20/2022 at 11:58 AM, Spork3245 said:

They made this video before the new AMD GPU launch. The 4080 is the #1 selling GPU on Newegg now.

I'm seeing conflicting evidence. Newegg shows it selling well, but it's in stock. It is surrounded by mid tier gpus from last gen. When I go to Amazon, the top 20+ spots are almost all mid tier from last gen. 

According to Techspot: 

The second theme was that the Radeon 7900 XTX easily outsold the RTX 4080. In fact, it wasn't even close: gamers are preferring the 7900 XTX over the GeForce in this price range, which does make sense based on its overall value and performance relative to the 4080.

One retailer told us the Radeon 7900 XTX on day one would have outsold the RTX 4080 in total since launch if not for limited XTX supply, which so far has been lower than that of the 4080.

https://www.techspot.com/article/2593-gpu-pricing-update/

So the XTX is outselling it, and would be doing so even more if they had enough supply. I'm not sure what to believe given Newegg is showing the 4080 doing well.