Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Sackboy for pc came out with a bunch of ray tracing options and it’s a nice 4090 show off game as well, actually makes it work off the gpu. The ray tracing ultra setting can leave you in the 60’s with 99% gpu utilization! Turning it down a notch from ultra though and then it’s 120fps so that’s the way to do it. I’m guessing it’s full res reflections or smtn.

Though a humble sackboy, he posseses a thread count of 1400 and RT traces every one! :sun:

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeI have news! Soon you'll be able to stop asking everyone to run that Hitman 3 level... it's listed as a game that's going to be updated for DLSS3!

Lmao I liked it as a weird obscure test though! This is AWESOME news, will continue to wait for my Hitman 3 play through (but I played 1 and 2 through Hitman 3 ) as this is going to look incredible. The RT is so taxing but man it looks really good to me so I didn’t want to leave it off for a stable frame rate. Not super surprised they are doing it, IO loves their tech.

I beat Batman so I can actually get to use the 4090 now, of course I buy a $1600 graphics cars and play literally the one game that would have been capped by cpu on a 3080 anyway first:

Dying Light 2 runs at 120fps maxed out in dlss 4k balanced mode now which is just stupid. I had to run it at 1800p in dlss performance to hit 60 on the 3080. This is without any dlss3 magic, it’s just crazy.

Bright Memory maxed out RT at 120fps looks pretty damn good too, though not sure if it even needs frame gen for that.

Also there is a nvidia driver now for Sackboy which makes its performance much better with ultra ray tracing so that’s running at 120fps maxed with dlss performance for me now and looks great. But they still need to let you preload shaders there :(

I finally played Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition (the one where virtually all lighting, shadows, and reflections are ray-traced, yet it somehow doesn’t run like complete ass) with my 4090. On my 3080 Ti I think I was getting around 65-75fps average with VRS at 2x (VRS lowers quality the higher it’s set by not ray-tracing things hidden behind objects on screen and in the distance; 2x is the lowest setting before off) and DLSS set to performance with everything else maxed at 4k. With the 4090, everything maxed at 4k, VRS off and DLSS off (so, native 4k) I’m getting over 120fps, with DLSS at quality (which looks better than native to me as aliasing is gone) it’s at 140-150fps. 

I seriously cannot understand how this game runs so well while looking this good and with this amount of ray-tracing when it’s from a tiny AF dev team, meanwhile other games that only use RT for reflections from huge studios run like ass. :p 

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

F. EVGA was including an RGB header on it so you can sync it with your motherboard or other controller. :sadsun:

Mine came with this!

Also some other notes from playing random stuff:

Dont forget your Crysis Remasteted collection! Crysis 3 at 4kdlss balanced maxed /120 is cray. Same with Crysis 2 which has amazing lighting now. Crysis 1 seems to stay above 60fps no matter what now!

RDR2 at 120 fps is nice but the dlss implementation and the TAA in general since the original release on console is too blurry. Brute force here allows us to go 60+ even in ST Dennis with dlss off/taa off and 2x msaa instead at native 4k. Combine that with turning every single setting to the max and it’s a fun use of the excess power!

8 hours ago, stepee said:

oh, well I’d know that if I had bothered to install it!

I only know because I wanted a Zotac when I saw that, but then read that it’s an RGB in, not out, and just makes the Zotac card an RGB controller :p 

The only card I know of with a an RGB out is Galax’s, which, since this beautiful EVGA card isn’t ever coming out, is also the best looking 4090, IMO… but I have no clue where Galax cards are even sold beyond their own website’s store, so I wasn’t going to chase it :sadsun:

@Mr.Vic20 @stepee

There’s a weird solution for frame generation and vsync… so, as you both probably realized, even if you force vsync in the nVidia control panel, if your framerate exceeds the refresh rate and is “stopped” by vsync there’s a huge input latency created. I thought I was circumventing it previously but realized it’s because I was using DLAA instead of DLSS, which was giving me 110-120 fps in Plague Tale Requiem, so my latency was only around a normal 45-58 (with ray-tracing on), but if I used DLSS, even at quality, my uncapped average became 140+ and latency shot to 400-500+.

ANYWAY, there’s a potential, and incredibly odd, fix: go into the nVidia control panel, enable frame cap and set it to 1-3fps BELOW your max refresh rate (ie: a 120hz display should be capped at 57-59) and latency will remain in the normal 45-58 range with frame gen + ray-tracing (lower without ray-tracing) and you’ll no longer need to worry about screen tearing (unless you have a 165-240hz 4k monitor with DSC :p ), just make sure you have VRR enabled. Granted, you’re limited to only a ~60fps experience, but, at least it’ll be a locked framerate and you don’t have to worry about screen tearing. There are some games were obviously you could turn off frame gen and get a higher framerate, but for ones like Flight Sim and whenever Cyberpunk drops their DLSS3 patch, this could be useful (my Cyberpunk benchmark avg at 4k with DLSS set to quality and all other settings maxed is like 62-65 or something).

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20 @stepee

There’s a weird solution for frame generation and vsync… so, as you both probably realized, even if you force vsync in the nVidia control panel, if your framerate exceeds the refresh rate and is “stopped” by vsync there’s a huge input latency created. I thought I was circumventing it previously but realized it’s because I was using DLAA instead of DLSS, which was giving me 110-120 fps in Plague Tale Requiem, so my latency was only around a normal 45-58 (with ray-tracing on), but if I used DLSS, even at quality, my uncapped average became 140+ and latency shot to 400-500+.

ANYWAY, there’s a potential, and incredibly odd, fix: go into the nVidia control panel, enable frame cap and set it to 1-3fps BELOW your max refresh rate (ie: a 120hz display should be capped at 57-59) and latency will remain in the normal 45-58 range with frame gen + ray-tracing (lower without ray-tracing) and you’ll no longer need to worry about screen tearing (unless you have a 165-240hz 4k monitor with DSC :p ), just make sure you have VRR enabled. Granted, you’re limited to only a ~60fps experience, but, at least it’ll be a locked framerate and you don’t have to worry about screen tearing. There are some games were obviously you could turn off frame gen and get a higher framerate, but for ones like Flight Sim and whenever Cyberpunk drops their DLSS3 patch, this could be useful (my Cyberpunk benchmark avg at 4k with DLSS set to quality and all other settings maxed is like 62-65 or something).

Nice sluething Mr! I'll give that a shot later today! :sun:

On 11/11/2022 at 1:18 AM, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20 @stepee

I saw this posted elsewhere as well so it seems like it must be working, weird. Makes me hopeful there will be a quick 120hz cap solition. Besides just using DLAA/DSR to cap your baseline :P

4080 reviews are dropping and the 4090 still impossibly looks like good "value" especially in RT games at 4k where it stomps the 4080. In non-ray tracing games the performance per dollar ratio between two favors the 4080 but they left the door massively open for AMD at $1000

• True 1

11 minutes ago, elbobo said:

4080 reviews are dropping and the 4090 still impossibly looks like good "value" especially in RT games at 4k where it stomps the 4080. In non-ray tracing games the performance per dollar ratio between two favors the 4080 but they left the door massively open for AMD at $1000

Yup! 4090 is still impressive, even at its crazy price point. The 4080 however does not compare favorably to AMD's high end cards. Of course this assumes no DLSS3, but for now there are few games that take a advantage of it, so.... 

19 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup! 4090 is still impressive, even at its crazy price point. The 4080 however does not compare favorably to AMD's high end cards. Of course this assumes no DLSS3, but for now there are few games that take a advantage of it, so.... 

Im so glad that you offered me the psu man, that is what allowed me to push through and get the 4090. I’d be so bummed checking these reviews. Instead, I saw a note that these were coming out and a rush of joy went through me as I realized not only do I not have to go through the stress of getting one, the one I already have is substantially better :D

• Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im so glad that you offered me the psu man, that is what allowed me to push through and get the 4090. I’d be so bummed checking these reviews. Instead, I saw a note that these were coming out and a rush of joy went through me as I realized not only do I not have to go through the stress of getting one, the one I already have is substantially better :D

Let's hear it for beer + stress + midnight shopping! :sun:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The one impressive thing regarding the 4080 is the boost it gets from an OC when compared with the 4090. OCing the 4090 was like +2-5% at best, the 4080 seems to be getting +10-15% going by TomsHardware review.

I just look at it as the 4090 is just already sold oc’d. I like not tinkering with that and the temperatures and how quiet it is!

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

These prices from Nvidia and AMD are absurd. Wasn't the 3080's MSRP $700 and now it's $1200?  AMD seems "cheap" at $999 because Nvidia's 3080 is so overpriced that it's nearly double what it was last cycle.

It's kinda a mixed bag. A case can be made prices have dropped since the 7900XTX is a 6950XT analogue but technically the 7900XT is what the x800XT used to be so it's price has gone up. From 650 to 899. There is the possibility that the price woud have been 799 if the 12GB 4080 launched. The glut of GPUs is obscuring pricing a bit. 

On 11/12/2022 at 10:16 PM, silentbob said:

I’ll just leave this here

spacer.png

I'd replace the PS5 with something useful. 

Also I'm hijacking this thread to announce I'm going to watch Blackpink tonight. Woke up this morning and went fuck it. Might not be able to go to a concert for awhile. (I want to say cancer is a yes though. The lymph node on my collarbone is the size of a really big grape. It's still growing I think which makes sense since growth would be exponetial.)

• Hugs 2

Gah. After skipping the 30XX series I was so ready to jump in with a 40XX series card, defaulting to the 4080 card as I've done for the last few generations. Now the 4080 is in such an odd place. It's fast enough, but now the top card is actually worth considering, AMD launching in a month for hundreds less, and the prices all around having shot way up, I'm not sure what I want to do.

There probably isn't much hope that nVidia lowers prices anytime soon. It also seems like DLSS 3 is a big deal, so even if AMD delivers similar performance, it loses out on that account.

Then again, all of this is moot until it's easier to actually buy one, and since I'm a bit conflicted on what to aim for, I probably just won't end up with any of them for a while. Would be nice to upgrade before Starfield.

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Gah. After skipping the 30XX series I was so ready to jump in with a 40XX series card, defaulting to the 4080 card as I've done for the last few generations. Now the 4080 is in such an odd place. It's fast enough, but now the top card is actually worth considering, AMD launching in a month for hundreds less, and the prices all around having shot way up, I'm not sure what I want to do.

There probably isn't much hope that nVidia lowers prices anytime soon. It also seems like DLSS 3 is a big deal, so even if AMD delivers similar performance, it loses out on that account.

Then again, all of this is moot until it's easier to actually buy one, and since I'm a bit conflicted on what to aim for, I probably just won't end up with any of them for a while. Would be nice to upgrade before Starfield.

I don't see why DLSS 3 is such a big deal if AMD is going to have a solution next year with frame generation. Nvidia has AMD completely beat on ray tracing and if you do any extra AI machine learning productivity on the side. 

I'm waiting for AMD's 7800 chip uncut for myself. I only want to drive 1440p 144hz. Hopefully I can get one for $700.

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I don't see why DLSS 3 is such a big deal if AMD is going to have a solution next year with frame generation. Nvidia has AMD completely beat on ray tracing and if you do any extra AI machine learning productivity on the side. 

I'm waiting for AMD's 7800 chip uncut for myself. I only want to drive 1440p 144hz. Hopefully I can get one for $700.

It not just frame generation, its low latency to compensate for the input lag on those extra frames. If they can offer a hardware agnostic solution to that, then they're good to go! 

37 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It's kinda a mixed bag. A case can be made prices have dropped since the 7900XTX is a 6950XT analogue but technically the 7900XT is what the x800XT used to be so it's price has gone up. From 650 to 899. There is the possibility that the price woud have been 799 if the 12GB 4080 launched. The glut of GPUs is obscuring pricing a bit. 

If one can purchase the 4090 for MSRP, I don't see the point of the 4080 at $1200. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It not just frame generation, its low latency to compensate for the input lag on those extra frames. If they can offer a hardware agnostic solution to that, then they're good to go! 

I used to doubt AMD on this stuff, but FSR 2 showed AMD is running 6-12 months beyond Nvidia on their hardware agnostic solutions that Nvidia puts out for certain pieces of hardware. Maybe this time AMD will just not have anything to compete, but I really doubt it since AMD has a lot more money than they did even 3 years ago. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Digital Foundry mentioned in their review that nearly every title that utilizes ray tracing supports DLSS, while only a handful use FSR2, and DLSS looks better to boot. I'm looking to play at 4K, and if I'm going to spend $1000 or more on a card, I want those bells and whistles. AMD having a pending competing technology while falling behind in both results and adoption doesn't aid their case.

Still, as I said, I'm not entirely convinced it's worth the money to me, so I am curious to see how the AMD cards end up comparing.

• Halal 1

It’s also worth noting that FSR3 Frame Generation is still a complete guess and assumption. No official announcement was made regarding frame generation, and however likely it is, we know absolutely nothing about it. I also doubt it will be truly hardware agnostic without extreme sacrifices simply due to the nature of frame generation, but I do expect support for the previous gen AMD cards and for it to run on, at least, 2000 series cards from nVidia. Non-proprietary: sure, hardware agnostic: heavy doubt.

• Like 1