Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20because I’m an absolute degenerate, I began looking at Intel 13th gen and AM5 compatible motherboards, to my dismay it seems that manufacturers are starting to make SATA not a thing. Most of the high-end boards only have 4x SATA ports (some, just 2) and only the highest end ones have 6. My current board for my Ryzen 5900x is high-end, but not one of those insane $1k motherboards, and has 8x SATA ports.
Very annoying for data hoarders like myself :nottalking:

oh boy, don't like hearing that. I have 6 good old fashioned disc spinning hard drives in my tower right now.

@Mr.Vic20 @stepee if you force vsync in the nvidia control panel, it works with frame generation. Also, Plague Tale Requiem definitely has frame generation, I think that I didn’t have that previously mentioned windows setting enabled when I first checked the graphics settings, now I have the option below DLSS modes. So, no more screen tearing.

Also, I don’t know about you guys, but I haven’t been getting any of the artifacts (beyond the screen tearing that I mentioned prior to the vsync fix) some people seem to be harping on.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20 @stepee if you force vsync in the nvidia control panel, it works with frame generation. Also, Plague Tale Requiem definitely has frame generation, I think that I didn’t have that previously mentioned windows setting enabled when I first checked the graphics settings, now I have the option below DLSS modes. So, no more screen tearing.

Also, I don’t know about you guys, but I haven’t been getting any of the artifacts (beyond the screen tearing that I mentioned prior to the vsync fix) some people seem to be harping on.

Yeah, I've had V-synch enabled in the Nv panel and no screen tearing here. 

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s because you are actually playing it, not  super “concerned” because of a photo someone posted on your twitter feed of 1 frame in 120 that has a slight smudge in the corner.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s because you are actually playing it, not  super “concerned” because of a photo someone posted on your twitter feed of 1 frame in 120 that has a slight smudge in the corner.

I’m actively looking for it because of a post I found on some MS: Flight Sim forum :p 

So I’ve played a shit tons of games over the week and my review is it’s basically just one section of a level on Hitman 3 and this Batman game get cpu bottlenecked below 60 and everything else is 60-120 maxed, most things 120. DLSS3 is the real deal for 120fps gaming and latency even with vsync feels fine for that. Not much else to say!

Oh dear, more people are reporting melted power connectors.

If any of you guys have to unplug your connector, you should examine the adapter before inserting it into the card.  One theory floating around is when the cable gets bent too much close to the connector it can cause the metal jackets in the connector to enlarge, thus they won't make good contact with the power pins on the card. This causes resistance to increase and the connector to get hot enough to melt plastic.

10 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Oh dear, more people are reporting melted power connectors.

If any of you guys have to unplug your connector, you should examine the adapter before inserting it into the card.  One theory floating around is when the cable gets bent too much close to the connector it can cause the metal jackets in the connector to enlarge, thus they won't make good contact with the power pins on the card. This causes resistance to increase and the connector to get hot enough to melt plastic.

0-DEE6114-D847-4-CC9-BEB2-88-F8-F0-A1-A8

5-C9-FEFD9-A85-E-4-F27-B818-E983808-D8-E

Tons of hours later, no issues for me.

I think what's occurring is that these adapters stick out so much that people's side panels are pushing on the base of the cable which is angling/loosening the connector... and/or people are putting tons of force on them to bend it so the wiring doesn't looks like shit in their case :p  

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I think what's occurring is that these adapters stick out so much that people's side panels are pushing on the base of the cable which is angling/loosening the connector... and/or people are putting tons of force on them to bend it so the wiring doesn't looks like shit in their case :p  

People be cramming to make their dreams work! 

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think like the tolerance for how much you can bend this connector is much tighter because it is so small that more people are running into issues doing the same things we have all been doing with the 8 pin connector for years. And personally, it's just a poorly thought out design. While the 8pin connector was extremely overbuilt, Nvidia overdid shrinking it and leaves little room to use it in real-world, un-ideal conditions.  You just simply have been more careful and haven't bent the wires too much to have this issue happen.

pmNPsE4.png

The wires connect to this and this slots over the pins on the card. There is a seam on the jacket, so when you bend the wires a certain way while the connector is on the pins then you can potentially spread it apart, and since this connector is smaller than the 8pin one it's much easier to do that.

5 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I think like the tolerance for how much you can bend this connector is much tighter because it is so small that more people are running into issues doing the same things we have all been doing with the 8 pin connector for years. And personally, it's just a poorly thought out design. While the 8pin connector was extremely overbuilt, Nvidia overdid shrinking it and leaves little room to use it in real-world, un-ideal conditions.  You just simply have been more careful and haven't bent the wires too much to have this issue happen.

pmNPsE4.png

The wires connect to this and this slots over the pins on the card. There is a seam on the jacket, so when you bend the wires a certain way while the connector is on the pins then you can potentially spread it apart, and since this connector is smaller than the 8pin one it's much easier to do that.

Oh, for sure, I’m not denying any of that. My wires are folded in half but at the midpoint. I think people running into issues have pressure on/at the base of the adapter. I highly suspect it’s from their case pushing into it given how wide these cards are and many with common mid-tower/gaming cases posting pics of their card basically right at the edge of their case with the side panel off (it’s not taking into account the added space needed for the adapter when it’s plugged in).

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepee

I wonder if Spider-man is using ray tracing or not? Because that’s when it seems my cpu bottleneck kicks in on that one. Besides that I don’t think anything else felt cpu bottlenecked there so it’s about what you’d expect! They need to do RT on Spider-man, RT on Watch Dogs Legion, RT on Hitman 3, RT on Gotham Knights, that’s about it right now, to really test cpus against each other now. I noticed those are all games with rtx reflections but CP and Control don’t seem to get hit as hard by them on the cpu end. Though three of them have the best RT reflections out there.

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

I wonder if Spider-man is using ray tracing or not? Because that’s when it seems my cpu bottleneck kicks in on that one. Besides that I don’t think anything else felt cpu bottlenecked there so it’s about what you’d expect! They need to do RT on Spider-man, RT on Watch Dogs Legion, RT on Hitman 3, RT on Gotham Knights, that’s about it right now, to really test cpus against each other now. I noticed those are all games with rtx reflections but CP and Control don’t seem to get hit as hard by them on the cpu end. Though three of them have the best RT reflections out there.

For sure, BUT, I was posting the video more so you know you can be a bit more patient with the CPU upgrade as PCIE 3.0 vs current probably has you itching almost as much as the CPU itself! :santasun:

BTW, I was half debating on swapping my 5900x for a 5800x3D since I can sell the 5900x for about 350-400 and I'm seeing 5800x3Ds going for $300-ish... then I double checked benchmarks :blart:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

For sure, BUT, I was posting the video more so you know you can be a bit more patient with the CPU upgrade as PCIE 3.0 vs current probably has you itching almost as much as the CPU itself! :santasun:

BTW, I was half debating on swapping my 5900x for a 5800x3D since I can sell the 5900x for about 350-400 and I'm seeing 5800x3Ds going for $300-ish... then I double checked benchmarks :blart:

Yeah it barely matters and if games like that going forward have dlss3 then it will not matter at all (Hitman 3 for example would have totally used dlss3 if it was available at launch) but damnit I know myself and 14th gen next year is probably the longest I’m wait! Gonna go heavy on the cpu and ram speed in prep for that 5090.

https://videocardz.com/newz/unlaunched-geforce-rtx-4080-12gb-trades-places-with-3090-ti-in-alleged-3dmark-tests 

If these are real, looks like the 12gb 4080 would’ve been roughly the same as a non-Ti 3090 without the DLSS3 boost(s) for $900 (with half the ram). The 16gb version seems like a decent boost over a 3090 Ti, but the gap between the 4080 and 4090 is arguably large enough to easily warrant saving up and spending the extra $400.

• True 1

47 minutes ago, elbobo said:

It's fucking insane that a $1600 video card actually seems to have reasonable performance per dollar value. Really hope AMD comes out strong next week. 

In raw performance, I'm sure they'll have something in the neighborhood, thought not directly competitive. I would guess their flagship card will be around 80% of a 4090. I'm sure AMD could meet Nvidia in raw performance, but do they also want to sell a 1600 card? IF DLSS3 takes off, then there really will be no way for them to directly compete unless they are about to surprise the world with this next Chip. 

Sackboy for pc came out with a bunch of ray tracing options and it’s a nice 4090 show off game as well, actually makes it work off the gpu. The ray tracing ultra setting can leave you in the 60’s with 99% gpu utilization! Turning it down a notch from ultra though and then it’s 120fps so that’s the way to do it. I’m guessing it’s full res reflections or smtn.

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

DLSS 3? How?

Looking more into it, it’s possible I (and others) misunderstood the DLSS3 bit as the cards and new DLSS3 support for games were bundled in a single press release :p 

The assumption is/was that nVidia was doing something similar like when they threw tensor cores into those 1660 cards that released after the 2000 series came out.