Update: Anarchy in the UK (Parliament...at least on the Tory side)

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ultimately, how do we see this playing out, realistically then?

I really have no idea.

I simply cannot imagine the Tories dumping her and the Chancellor so early in their tenure.  I'm going to wager that they'll accept whatever U-turn she and the Chancellor come up with and hope to ride things out through the year-end holiday season.

• Shocked 1

I could see Kwarteng stepping aside as some atonement, but mumblings of back benchers are if there isn’t a u-turn, or evidence this change to the economy is working, MPs will vote to change the law so Truss can receive a no-confidence vote - then really, it has to be a general election, otherwise that’s just (even more) ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I could see Kwarteng stepping aside as some atonement, but mumblings of back benchers are if there isn’t a u-turn, or evidence this change to the economy is working, MPs will vote to change the law so Truss can receive a no-confidence vote - then really, it has to be a general election, otherwise that’s just (even more) ridiculous. 

Is it an actual no-confidence vote in the Commons or changing the rules governing the 1922 Committee within the Conservative Party where she would be replaced internally as party leader (and hence as prime minister)?

As far as I'm aware, there really are no legal requirements governing an actual vote of confidence/no-confidence in the Commons which if successful would automatically trigger a general election.

Make no mistake - the name of the United States Federal Reserve Bank is being cursed in many corners of the world right now as per this article from the Financial Times from a day ago:

WWW.MONEYCONTROL.COM

It is Joe Biden, not America’s central bank, who has the tools to cushion the global blow caused by domestic policy

A French leader once called the dollar America’s “exorbitant privilege”. Today’s world might go for blunter language. Vector of pain, anyone? Green monster?

Whatever we call it, the strong dollar’s victims have one culprit in mind — the Federal Reserve. Even Josep Borrell, the EU’s foreign policy chief, is joining in. This week he warned that the Fed was exporting recession in the same way the euro crisis was imposed by Germany’s post-2008 dictates. Much of the world is now in danger of becoming Greece.

Such finger-pointing is mostly unfair to the Fed. The US central bank clung for too long to its “team transitory” dismissal of inflation and is thus tightening at speed to restore its credibility. But it is only following the rules. It is hard enough to achieve full US employment with low inflation. Adding foreigners’ wellbeing to its mandate would make the job paralysingly complex. The Fed is nevertheless the engine of global contraction. Monetary pain is America’s fastest growing export.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Make no mistake - the name of the United States Federal Reserve Bank is being cursed in many corners of the world right now as per this article from the Financial Times from a day ago:

WWW.MONEYCONTROL.COM

It is Joe Biden, not America’s central bank, who has the tools to cushion the global blow caused by domestic policy

Behold the field in which I grow my fucks.

It appears that the Chancellor of the Exchequer has been sacked.

73CIKIMBQZKB5AODI64VAS75MQ.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

British Prime Minister Liz Truss has fired her finance minister Kwasi Kwarteng, the BBC reported on Friday, shortly before she is expected to scrap parts of his economic package in a bid to survive the market...

Is anyone truly surprised that the black guy is taking the fall for this debacle?

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: the UK's Chancellor of the Exchequer given the boot over financial debacle

For the record, there have been some long-simmering rumors that Kwarteng and Truss engaged in a bit o' extra-marital shagging at one point.

Or as this puts it:

Commentator on Sky News wondered whether if on the way out, “Kwasi would hole the PM below the water-line.”

Which is EXACTLY what he did in this parting letter where he pins the mess on her:

20221014_083609.jpg

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This makes no sense why is the UK an actual country??

It's a nautical reference. They are wondering if Kwasi will turn on the PM release some juicy details about what's going on for example. If what he says is damning enough it might cause a "hole below the water line." Which is a reference to your ship taking a penetrating hit that is beneath the line at which you ship sits in the water. Such hits are bad because of flooding and since the hole is gonna spend atleast some time underwater it will cause more flooding and be harder to patch up then a penetrating hit that is far above thw water line. 

I'd like to shout out Drachinifel for information like this and World of Warships for giving me a love for naval combat.

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

It's a nautical reference. They are wondering if Kwasi will turn on the PM release some juicy details about what's going on for example. If what he says is damning enough it might cause a "hole below the water line." Which is a reference to your ship taking a penetrating hit that is beneath the line at which you ship sits in the water. Such hits are bad because of flooding and since the hole is gonna spend atleast some time underwater it will cause more flooding and be harder to patch up then a penetrating hit that is far above thw water line. 

This is absolutely correct, but it's just the phrasing is rather amusing within the context of the alleged affair :p

So far today:

• The new Chancellor of the Exchequer has reversed practically all of the tax measures introduced by his predecessor which were the catalyst for the current crisis.  
  • The Prime Minister is a no-show at today's Question Time in the House of Commons and sent a Conservative MP to act as a substitute
  • This substitute Conservative MP said that the PM had important business to attend to, but couldn't disclose exactly what that business is.
  • One Labour MP said that the PM is no longer in power (which is more or less the truth) and that there has been a "coup".  The substitute Conservative MP replied that there hasn't been a coup (how reassuring!)
  • Another Labour MP said that the PM is "cowering under a desk waiting for it all to go away".  The substitute Conservative MP assured everyone that the PM "is not under a desk".

This is the actual BBC News timeline summary:

woBWxaK.png

• Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: there may or may not have been a coup in the UK and the prime minister may or may not be "cowering under a desk"
2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Need King Charles to enter the House with a big mace and just start crushing in heads.

Much as I love this image, I fear the old bean would struggle mightily to lift a can of mace, let alone that particular implement of war! :lol: