My bank account has been hacked two times in the last 3 weeks

I figured I'd post this here to get not only good advice but quick replies.

Long story short, I've lost a HUGE amount of money in the last month. When I was first hacked I obviously called my bank to lock my account up and get a new account.

Well after that was resolved I was relieved and I got all my money back within 10 business days.

Well, this morning I go to check my account and I see 3 huge transactions that I didn't make. I panicked and immediately called my bank. They verified it was fraud and the transactions took place in Chicago and I'm in PA. So now I'm out a lot of money on top of me missing work since 8/22 due to my medical issue. I'm not getting paid because I've used up all my leave this year. 

My question is, what do you guys suggest I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm beyond stressed and the amount of phone calls I've had to make to different financial institutions because my bank account information changed has been daunting. Any tips would be great. 

I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my bank to figure this shit out. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Damn. Is that something that happens pretty smoothly? I've been with this bank for over 20 years. This has only been any issues I've had in that time period. 

Open new account, transfer all your money, close old account. Provide new account information anywhere you have current bank account stored as a payment method. Not sure what else you're expecting happens here. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Open new account, transfer all your money, close old account. Provide new account information anywhere you have current bank account stored as a payment method. Not sure what else you're expecting happens here. 

It’s a lot of easy but time consuming and very attentive work if you have a lot of auto drafts you want to keep going

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Damn. Is that something that happens pretty smoothly? I've been with this bank for over 20 years. This has only been any issues I've had in that time period. 

When your say new account, do you mean new account number, new password, and new security phrases or whatever? If those are all new, I wouldn't trust the bank ever again. If only some of those are new, then the ones that aren't are your problem.

• Halal 2

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

When your day new account, do you mean new account number, new password, and new security phrases or whatever? If those are all new, I wouldn't trust the bank ever again. If only some of those are new, then the ones that aren't are your problem.

I also was wondering this. Definitely should have changed everything after the first time he was hacked. If he did, time for a new bank.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

When your say new account, do you mean new account number, new password, and new security phrases or whatever? If those are all new, I wouldn't trust the bank ever again. If only some of those are new, then the ones that aren't are your problem.

This is the important thing.

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

I dunno if you are using a debt card, but stop using a debt card. Also you should be able to put a password on your account.

I am using a debit card. 

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

When I got my new account after the first fraud situation I got a new bank account number and that was it. I didn't change passwords or security phrases etc. I had faith in my bank that they knew what they were doing but now I'm going to change banks. 

54 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

New Credit Union

That's precisely what I'm going to do. 

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

I also was wondering this. Definitely should have changed everything after the first time he was hacked. If he did, time for a new bank.

Nope just account number like I said. It’s pathetic and I guess I'm at fault a little too for being so naive...

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I am using a debit card. 

When I got my new account after the first fraud situation I got a new bank account number and that was it. I didn't change passwords or security phrases etc. I had faith in my bank that they knew what they were doing but now I'm going to change banks. 

That's precisely what I'm going to do. 

Nope just account number like I said. It’s pathetic and I guess I'm at fault a little too for being so naive...

You aren’t at fault still, that’s the asshole who stole money from you. You know better now though so that’s good.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This is the best place for this. Where else would I post this? Everyone that posts in here are responsible and intelligent. 

Prob general board, this is usually more for news, the other more for personal stuff. It doesn’t really matter, just thought it was funny because it’s out of place a bit.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Someone likely got your creds. If the bank doesn't offer multi-factor authentication that's more than enough reason to drop them. Do the whole thing. Don't reuse passwords, enable multifactor everywhere that supports it.

meta-og-image.png
1PASSWORD.COM

A password manager, digital vault, form filler and secure digital wallet. 1Password remembers all your passwords for you to help keep account information safe.

bitwarden-og.png?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.
BITWARDEN.COM

Bitwarden is an integrated open source password management solution for individuals, teams, and business organizations

Pick one.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Someone likely got your creds. If the bank doesn't offer multi-factor authentication that's more than enough reason to drop them. Do the whole thing. Don't reuse passwords, enable multifactor everywhere that supports it.

meta-og-image.png
1PASSWORD.COM

A password manager, digital vault, form filler and secure digital wallet. 1Password remembers all your passwords for you to help keep account information safe.

BITWARDEN.COM

Bitwarden is an integrated open source password management solution for individuals, teams, and business organizations

Pick one.

I like 1password. Trying to get the office to move to it.

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I like 1password. Trying to get the office to move to it.

1Password and Bitwarden are the industry leaders here. I only even included LastPass because I've been using them for years. They lose points because they've been breached MANY times, but end user passwords have never been touched since not even LastPass has access to them. It's a double edged sword for them. It's a one way encryption that LastPass can't undo. That's great for my security. It's just terrible for me if I forget my password, because then everything in my password vault is forever lost.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

meta-og-image.png
1PASSWORD.COM

BITWARDEN.COM

Pick one.

Even if @best3444 doesn’t get a password manager, he should absolutely change any password that was the same one used with his bank account, if any, and change the password and security question tied to any account that has the same security question, if any. 

I’ve used LastPass for ages and have never had a problem with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I've used one for 22 years. I guess I'm going to have to change my habits. Cash is making a comeback.

I'd be willing to bet money your debit card was compromised locally.  Do you frequent a certain store/gas station often? My bank account has had fraudulent activity twice in 4 years now. The first time I'm positive was at an Exxon gas station by my house.  My dad has an Exxon credit card that had a fraudulent charge pop up and a week later I got one on my debit card. We both used that gas station pretty frequently. I had police check out the pumps but they didn't find anything.  Seems like a hell of a coincidence though.  I read a story somewhere that there doesn't even have to be a skimming device on the pumps or indoor registers, but their network can be compromised and the info is being stolen somewhere else in the chain.

10 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'd be willing to bet money your debit card was compromised locally.  Do you frequent a certain store/gas station often? My bank account has had fraudulent activity twice in 4 years now. The first time I'm positive was at an Exxon gas station by my house.  My dad has an Exxon credit card that had a fraudulent charge pop up and a week later I got one on my debit card. We both used that gas station pretty frequently. I had police check out the pumps but they didn't find anything.  Seems like a hell of a coincidence though.  I read a story somewhere that there doesn't even have to be a skimming device on the pumps or indoor registers, but their network can be compromised and the info is being stolen somewhere else in the chain.

That has me nervous because I frequent a Sunoco pretty much every day. The transactions that happened yesterday were in Chicago but does that mean anything really?

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That has me nervous because I frequent a Sunoco pretty much every day. The transactions that happened yesterday were in Chicago but does that mean anything really?

Where it's being used doesn't make any difference. My dad's charge came from Georgia. My first charge was somebody magically using my debit card through CashApp in California. I've never even used/installed Cash App.  I still have my sights set on this Exxon though because I know someone that works at the nearby police station. We got to talking and I brought up my suspicion of the place and she said "I really can't give details.......but don't use cards at that gas station, we've been looking into them for a while".

6 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Where it's being used doesn't make any difference. My dad's charge came from Georgia. My first charge was somebody magically using my debit card through CashApp in California. I've never even used/installed Cash App.  I still have my sights set on this Exxon though because I know someone that works at the nearby police station. We got to talking and I brought up my suspicion of the place and she said "I really can't give details.......but don't use cards at that gas station, we've been looking into them for a while".

Fuck. Ok, I appreciate the advice.