My bank account has been hacked two times in the last 3 weeks

Here is an example of what I was talking about from a few years ago.

"Hacking groups such as FIN8 are actively exploiting vulnerabilities in gas station point-of-sale networks to skim card data without the need for modifications at the actual pumps.

In one of the incidents, Visa discovered how the hackers first sent a phishing email sent to an employee. The email contained a malicious link that, when clicked, installed a remote access Trojan on the network granting network access. Once the POS environment was successfully accessed, a Random Access Memory (RAM) scraper was deployed on the POS system to harvest payment card data."

5dfcc3de45754.jpg
WWW.PETROLPLAZA.COM

A recent security alert by Visa details how hacking groups are targeting gas stations to skim card data due to their vulnerabilities. | PetrolPlaza

The gas station near me is....not the cleanest/fanciest place and the people barely speak english. So it wouldn't surprise me their network is shit. 

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Here is an example of what I was talking about from a few years ago.

"Hacking groups such as FIN8 are actively exploiting vulnerabilities in gas station point-of-sale networks to skim card data without the need for modifications at the actual pumps.

In one of the incidents, Visa discovered how the hackers first sent a phishing email sent to an employee. The email contained a malicious link that, when clicked, installed a remote access Trojan on the network granting network access. Once the POS environment was successfully accessed, a Random Access Memory (RAM) scraper was deployed on the POS system to harvest payment card data."

5dfcc3de45754.jpg
WWW.PETROLPLAZA.COM

A recent security alert by Visa details how hacking groups are targeting gas stations to skim card data due to their vulnerabilities. | PetrolPlaza

The gas station near me is....not the cleanest/fanciest place and the people barely speak english. So it wouldn't surprise me their network is shit. 

I can say the same about my sunoco, too. They had me put my phone number in the other day saying it's like a rewards thing. So my dumb ass did it. Coincidentally two days later I'm hacked....

I avoid using my debit card anywhere. When I do use it I try to use it at a non grocery/gas station/etc where a lot of people have opportunities to mess with the reader or that are major targets. 

I need to spend 400/mo in purchases (not payments) so I use it at like a restaurant (Mexican or Eurocentric/American ones only, sorry SE Asia, y'all too smart @unogueen) where I can see the card reader, a boutique store, or tied with PayPal. 

I think Canadians are biased towards debit cards because we've had them for so much longer than Americans (cash has been essentially non-existent in Canada for 25+ years) thanks to having a standardized, national non-profit payment system (whereas the US had competing, private ssytems through credit card providers). However, modern credit cards do most of the same things (tap payments, and before that Chip and Pin, etc) but also come with cashback and other rewards, so there's no real advantage to a debit card except that you don't need to be approved since it's already money in your bank account. Or, sometimes vendors will reduce their price by 2% if you pay by debit since they avoid the CC fee (and debit cards in Canada are all on a non-profit network called interac which has basically no fee).

I still have my debit card, but I use my Visa 100% of the time (except Costco, I guess, which only accepts Mastercard in Canada) because I get points on purchases, and I just pay off the balance each month.

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Long story very short. Credit cards are not a reality for me at this point. I'm also in a program that is preventing from using my credit cards. So I'll have to use cash from here on out which sucks.

I'd recommend at the very least opening a new account at a local credit union. You don't need to switch everything over instantly (though I'd recommend doing so), but at least then you'll have a new debit card, pin, password, etc.

17 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Does your bank support multifactor authentication? If so, I would enable that, along with changing your password to a strong one (as in, 18 characters long and nonsense).

I'm about to do all this now. Also, I'm getting something very similar to a credit card through my bank. I'm going to bestbuy for the geek squad to check for any iffy shit on my phone as well. 

• Halal 1

I have one credit card with my bank that I run almost all transactions through. Going for that gold tier this year. My real goal is to rack up enough miles to take the wife and kids on a big tour of Asia/Africa/Europe in Q1 2024. 

We have never spent real time outside of the US with the exception of in Mexico visiting my wife’s family, so it would be quite the adventure.

E6244409-0174-4601-8-AA5-AAEFEB7-CF19-E

52 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have one credit card with my bank that I run almost all transactions through. Going for that gold tier this year. My real goal is to rack up enough miles to take the wife and kids on a big tour of Asia/Africa/Europe in Q1 2024. 

We have never spent real time outside of the US with the exception of in Mexico visiting my wife’s family, so it would be quite the adventure.

Sup boarding group 2

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm about to do all this now. Also, I'm getting something very similar to a credit card through my bank. I'm going to bestbuy for the geek squad to check for any iffy shit on my phone as well. 

Nice. Yeah, a lot of modern debit card options include a kind of "credit card-lite" ability where you can buy stuff online with them just like a CC, but the money just comes out of your bank. 

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Nice. Yeah, a lot of modern debit card options include a kind of "credit card-lite" ability where you can buy stuff online with them just like a CC, but the money just comes out of your bank. 

Precisely.

I get a new debit card Monday and I see my bank again to change all passwords and security questions etc on my account.

Bestbuy said my phone was fine so that's good. 

You probably originally got your card skimmed somewhere and you bank did a shit job of cleaning your account up. 

@best3444 what kind of phone do you have? I wouldn't put much stock in what BestBuy told you. If it's apple you should be fine, if your android as long as you don't sideload apks or use dodgy apps off the playstore then it also should generally be safe. I'd be more checking your computer and possibly doing a fresh OS install if your bank really thinks it was the account that was compromised rather than your card.

If you have issues with getting a credit card, consider working with your bank or credit union to get one.  They often can set one up where the allowed balance is backed by a small investment as a guarantee (like a GIC). 

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

You probably originally got your card skimmed somewhere and you bank did a shit job of cleaning your account up. 

@best3444 what kind of phone do you have? I wouldn't put much stock in what BestBuy told you. If it's apple you should be fine, if your android as long as you don't sideload apks or use dodgy apps off the playstore then it also should generally be safe. I'd be more checking your computer and possibly doing a fresh OS install if your bank really thinks it was the account that was compromised rather than your card.

If you have issues with getting a credit card, consider working with your bank or credit union to get one.  They often can set one up where the allowed balance is backed by a small investment as a guarantee (like a GIC). 

I have a Galaxy S9+. I don't use any sketchy apps. I don't own a computer at all so everything is done on my phone.

If you read above, I'm getting something very similar to a credit card on Monday. I'll be using that card instead of my debit card. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I have a Galaxy S9+. I don't use any sketchy apps. I don't own a computer at all so everything is done on my phone.

If you read above, I'm getting something very similar to a credit card on Monday. I'll be using that card instead of my debit card. 

Yeah I saw that but was not sure what you mean similar to a credit card. Just make sure you're actually getting a credit card and not just a debit card with CC features. As the main point to have a CC is a security separation between your card/balance and your checking/savings account. As you already know until a fraudulent charge is cleared up your out that money in the meantime.

14 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah I saw that but was not sure what you mean similar to a credit card. Just make sure you're actually getting a credit card and not just a debit card with CC features. As the main point to have a CC is a security separation between your card/balance and your checking/savings account. As you already know until a fraudulent charge is cleared up your out that money in the meantime.

Gotcha. Thank you and yes, I'll understand better what this "credit card" is on Monday. 

hello my good friend , i hear u are having truoble keeping your bank money safe. .

friend,, do i have good news for YOU !!

thanks to new advancement in bank technologgy, we are able to secure 100%! of your bank moeny thanks to patent technology

to begin initialize procewss, please forward all bank money to your personalized AI generated bank account email : Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta225@hotmail.com

we look forward to a great partnership my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-richard whiteman

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3
  • True 2

20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I know it's a ways away, but enjoy. I've never vacationed in Asia, but the African Coast and Europe are amazing places to visit. 

I know is sounds a bit "tourist brochurey", but there are so many places there where you can just feel the history baked into it. 

If you or your son are into fishing at all, there are some absolutely incredible fishing charters run by local fisherman. That was a highlight for me, activity wise. Watching dolphin and whales while fishing off the most beautiful coast in the world. 

• Halal 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 2:25 PM, Xbob42 said:

hello my good friend , i hear u are having truoble keeping your bank money safe. .

friend,, do i have good news for YOU !!

thanks to new advancement in bank technologgy, we are able to secure 100%! of your bank moeny thanks to patent technology

to begin initialize procewss, please forward all bank money to your personalized AI generated bank account email : Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta225@hotmail.com

we look forward to a great partnership my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-richard whiteman

:lol: