73% of Americans favor age limits -- same support for both parties and independents, and huge support among old people

download.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Many Americans say more young people in office would make politics better.

We live in an era of stark political division, but there's at least one aspect of politics both sides agree on: a maximum age limit for elected officials. Most feel that after a certain age they should not be permitted to hold office.

9-8-age-limit-officials.png

9-8-age-limit-by-age.png

9-8-age-limit-should-be.png

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Top limit should be 60 years old. Politicians, more than most, need to have the pulse of the nation, and old people don't represent the nation (they represent the past), people 45 and under do. If we want to move forward generation by generation, we need younger people as politicians.

So are you running or should I write you in?

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Clearly you guys know nicer boomers than I do. I've only met shitheads.

I talk with a climate scientist who's a boomer (side note: he's very excited about the Inflation Reduction Act since it not only offers fixes but makes sure to alleviate concerns a lot of scientists have about climate laws that are more performative than substantive), and he's big on turning the tide now since young people are the ones who'll have to deal with the warming that's already baked in and unavoidable.

Many like him were fighting for us; they just haven't scored the big wins until recently. :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

60 is fucking young, that's bananas.

Young in terms of mortality, perhaps, but not in terms of awareness and recognition of contemporary norms. 

Who is more likely to have a pragmatic and realistic perspective of the urgency for SS reform: someone who is on the cusp of being able to start receiving it (or already has) and who runs a relatively low risk of loss of benefits in their lifetime…OR…someone who is contributing but sees that, absent meaningful reform, that they may likely never be able to collect?

That aside, Generational divides are more significant that ever, if only because of how rapidly technology has fundamentally altered our lifestyle. Those now in their 60’s got their first exposure to a PC (potentially) while in their 20’s, and look at how dramatically computers have evolved and reshaped our lives. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

To hell with age limits.

We need more requirements to run for office. People like Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, Herschel Walker, Dr. Oz, JD Vance, etc. should not be allowed to run for public office since I can almost guarantee that none of them could pass a basic civics exam.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Civics exams are a bad idea

So was letting Donald Trump “learn on the job” as Paul Ryan put it.

I don’t want another million Americans to die because we allowed someone like him to run for President again because he didn’t take a pandemic seriously.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Literally the only thing worse than the Trump presidency is if he were actually competent

28 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I don’t want another million Americans to die because we allowed someone like him to run for President again because he didn’t take a pandemic seriously.

No test would have changed that. Remember every one of trumps shitty lawyers passed the bar

14 minutes ago, ort said:

Seems like congressional term limits would solve this.

That's a terrible idea too. Legislating is easier and better among colleagues and term limits just skew that power toward lobbyists who have none of those rules. 

And before you go there lobbyists are not always bad but the only reason they're at all good is <drumroll> supplementing research that should be done directly by Congress but can't due to underfunding itself. 

44 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Yeah I'm not down with tests. Gotta be very cautious about the tools you let the American government have because you never know when the fascists are going to be in charge of interpreting the laws and exercising discretion.

Ah you son of a bitch, I didn’t consider this.