Tactics Ogre: Reborn releases November 11 on PS4/PS5 according to PSDeals (remaster of PSP game)

SaysWho?

This is actually great that this release is no longer stuck on the PSP (except through PSP emulation on PC). However, like with the recent Klonoa remaster collection release, I wish they included more games - at least Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber. And if they wanted to make it a kickass complete collection throw in the GBA game Ogre Battle: The Knight of Lodis and the Japan-only Neo Geo Pocket Color release Ogre Battle Gaiden. But I'll take what I can get.

• Halal 2

34 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I loved the SNES and N64 Ogre Battle Games.  Was this anything like that? Or more a turn based strategy game?

I tried Fantasy Tactics once and it didn't initially grab me like the old Ogre Battle games.

March of the Black Queen (the first SNES game and the first game in the franchise) is made by Yasumi Matsuno, who is also responsible for this game (Let Us Cling Together/Reborn) as well as FF Tactics/The War of the Lions, Final Fantasy 12, and Vagrant Story. He's one of my favorite video game writer/directors. So this game is very similar to the SNES games and FF Tactics since this is a remaster of a remake of the second SNES game. Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre are the same franchise, just with a different naming schemes. 3 of the 5 games are called Ogre Battle, and 2 of the 5 games are called Tactics Ogre, but they're all in the same universe/story that Matsuno originally created. Final Fantasy Tactics (if that's what you meant) is completely unrelated but March of the Black Queen and this game are similar to FF Tactics since it's all the same writer/director.

This PSP game is a remake of the original SNES/PS1 game, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, which came out after the first game, which was also on SNES/PS1, The March of the Black Queen. So there were two Tactics games on the SNES/PS1, both by Matsuno, and this game Reborn is a remaster of the PSP remake of that second Tactics Ogre SNES game, Let Us Cling Together.

31 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

More like FF Tactics.

Yep, same game director between them, so this is correct.

• Halal 2

Everything looks awesome except those smoothed out pixelated art graphics ala Chrono Trigger on Steam. Why couldn't they go the Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy, Live A Live remake for the pixel art? Does anyone else think this looks more cartoony compared to the original graphics (PSP version I mean)?  Update the original graphics, but in the way they do it for the aforementioned games, if you must. If you can't go the Live A Live remake route, at least do what the FF Pixel Remasters on Steam did - just update resolution, etc. and make everything look better but still what it's supposed to look like (pixelated). This smoothing out version like what Trigger did looks goofy and cartoony - anyone else noticing this? I can live with it but seems a shame. I guess even the original game's art leaned this way, so I suppose this is what it is supposed to look like updated compared to Trigger at least whose original version had much more of that pixelated look. Everything else looks great.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You need to update the raw pixels and make them look good, something like or better than the FF pixel remasters, but the smoothing filter for stuff like Trigger and this is not good. Anyone who emulates knows there are ways to upgrade a game's old pixel art and graphics (to a degree) and no one uses the smoothing options.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You need to update the raw pixels and make them look good, something like or better than the FF pixel remasters, but the smoothing filter for stuff like Trigger and this is not good. Anyone who emulates knows there are ways to upgrade a game's old pixel art and graphics (to a degree) and no one uses the smoothing options.

If anything the better thing to do is use scanlines with CRT filters to make it look how it's supposed to look.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If anything the better thing to do is use scanlines with CRT filters to make it look how it's supposed to look.

That'd be nice at least as an option, but I'm not a fan myself of doing that when I emulate. Using the raw pixels and improving it beyond the version with scanlines using CRT filters is my preference but I do believe this should always be provided as an option at least.

49 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That'd be nice at least as an option, but I'm not a fan myself of doing that when I emulate. Using the raw pixels and improving it beyond the version with scanlines using CRT filters is my preference but I do believe this should always be provided as an option at least.

I was never really a fan until recently. I use them on Duckstation on my steam deck (or PC) and the effect is pretty nice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Its far from perfect, and id much prefer a proper pixel remake, but im still extremely excited to get a copy of a game I've wanted forever now, so it is what it is.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Wonder why Xbox got the snub. I don't care about Xbox at all, but this is pretty dumb. Why not put it on ALL platforms? I don't get it. 

I honestly think this is all a precursor of their sale to sony, which is being talked about a lot recently 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And Sony has no problem selling to Switch a platform that sells more than Playstation?

Japanese companies stick together. Also since Sony gave up on hand held, Nintendo is more of a complimentary company to Sony as opposed to real competitor. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And Sony has no problem selling to Switch a platform that sells more than Playstation?

Since Diofield Chronicle is releasing on Xbox, Sony probably gets first look at what SE is doing and decides which ones it wants exclusive to its platform.