Biden signs gun bill into law

Does it ban specific weapons? Does it require mental health evaluations before buying a gun? Does it require mental health evaluations before getting guns back after being seized by the court or law enforcement? 

nope. More money to turn schools more into prisons and expands background checks for people under 21 who can likely pass a background check already. Woopidy doooo

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Does it ban specific weapons? Does it require mental health evaluations before buying a gun? Does it require mental health evaluations before getting guns back after being seized by the court or law enforcement? 

nope. More money to turn schools more into prisons and expands background checks for people under 21 who can likely pass a background check already. Woopidy doooo

I'm not sure banning specific weapons would make much of a difference. Most shootings (and mass shootings) occur with handguns.   As far as red flag laws go, I would have liked to have seen language in the bill that guarantees that the accused will have legal representation provided by the government and due process afforded when the guns are seized. 

The court's recent decision on NY's concealed carry law does offer a glimmer of hope for gun control advocates though, as they court ruled that guns (and gun owners) can still be regulated, as well as the fact that governments can create (and enforce) "sensitive places" where the carry of firearms is prohibited. 

I understand and agree with the frustration, but let's not let perfect be the enemy of good and get discouraged because this wasn't everything we wanted. It's a tiny baby step, but it's movement in the right direction. The fight goes on. :sun:

• Halal 2

On 6/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Honestly no matter what Biden does, people will never give him credit. We deserve this shit future of death. 

Joe Biden Good Luck GIF by The Democrats

Exactly.

I remember every shooting being followed by “We can’t discuss anything!” with Democrats in many districts with A+ ratings from the NRA.

It’s a good bill that is more a law only because a lot of people had to work hard for many years with few results for ages. Now Florida of all places got gun control signed by Rick freaking Scott of all people.

The NRA has gotten a lot weaker and gun control groups a lot stronger. We need to be thrilled that something actually passed after a shooting and keep fighting for more progress.

7 hours ago, Nokra said:

I understand and agree with the frustration, but let's not let perfect be the enemy of good and get discouraged because this wasn't everything we wanted. It's a tiny baby step, but it's movement in the right direction. The fight goes on. :sun:

And by the time we baby waddle our way to where we want to be we won't have any people left to protect while the right does flying leaps towards their goals even when not in power.

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

And by the time we baby waddle our way to where we want to be we won't have any people left to protect while the right does flying leaps towards their goals even when not in power.

Lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

After shootings: No one ever does anything!

After something is done: They shouldn't have even done anything!

Me: Get something done about this hideous monstrosity of a nation!

Leaders: Alright we put a sign up that says "don't shoot the kids please"

You: THIS IS HOW WE GET THERE BABY WOO

I don't think I'm being clear enough here. Incrementalism is a fine approach when your entire goal is to just get someone into a position to fuck over people you don't like. It is nowhere near acceptable when dealing with what I consider what would actually be something akin to a nationwide emergency, or at least a product of grave concern, such as mass shootings, such as implied mass violence, such as people feeling okay storming the capital over made up shit, such as having news, which I consider to be a pillar of a decent, functioning society, being basically misleading no matter where you go, but especially misleading with certain sources, yet nothing to distinguish actual news from, let's go with Trump's favorite term, "fake" news, for the layman. (Hey let's start by having news sources unable to give editorialization and instead simply report what happens! Keep the opinion pieces and shit to a different entertainment-based source. Can't do that? Not a source of news.)

Some of these are much more serious than others, but I feel like they're all feeding in to each other and making the nation as a whole vastly more hostile towards itself and dangerous overall. Now, while it's bad, the sky isn't falling or anything, but "hey we'll get to mass shootings in 20 years or something idk lol" just tells me our entire system is fucking borked and needs to be rebuilt. You can see the difference between the care for the average citizen and the care for members of the supreme court by how quickly legislatures reacted to "threats" to each. People "menacingly" hanging out outside a justice's house? Immediate reaction. Several school shootings, including more than 1 at an elementary school? Well, you know, just be happy they passed anything at all. Almost a decade after Sandy Hook.

No motherfucker, I will not be happy. The leg is infected and you're smiling and sagely nodding at me that I just don't get it because you put a band-aid on the boo-boo, but don't worry the doctor will be done with med school in a few years.

Fuck this shit. It needs to be torn down and replaced with something that can function and that has protections in place from the bizarre bullshit we've been dealing with here. Nothing about wanting a legal system that can produce agile, sensible responses to public safety concerns is unreasonable.

And we're back to perfect being the enemy of good.

It look a long time to get here, and it won't be done overnight in whatever utopia we wish we were in. You want something done, go join the mothers of dead kids who have fought for years to get to the point where Congress actually passed something and got us away from every tragedy being met with someone telling us it's not the time to talk about it. They've gotten their hands dirty and could use the help.