Update: Vince McMahon retires after rape allegations and NDAs and all that

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Kotick didn't do anything special. He basically came in and said, "that thing that's making money keep making that thing and then give me lots of money for suggesting that"

Anyone could have done that.

No, thats just factually incorrect. Activision was bankrupt, they weren't doing anything that was making money. He completely turned a dead company around.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If you grew up in upper middle class Long Island, you may not be "rich" by New York Standards, but you definitely are compared to most places else in the country. 

Sure, but he's saying Vince worked for it (Vinces dad left him the WWF), but the others didn't. Thats just not correct. If anything, at least Kotick started his own company. 

It doesn't make them less of shitbags, I just thought it was a weird distinction.

But powerful people who are also terrible people generally work extremely hard. Kotick, Vince, Weinstein, Musk, Bezos, etc, we love to clown on them because they are dirtbags who are willing to fuck the world over, but what they aren't, generally, is lazy. Most of them make work their life, because if they are always at work, they always have direct power over others. I think feel helpless when they are alone with nobody to lord their power over.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Sure, but he's saying Vince worked for it (Vinces dad left him the WWF), but the others didn't. Thats just not correct. If anything, at least Kotick started his own company. 

No. He had to buy it from him. You may want to do some more research there. Vince grew up in basically a trailer park. Furthermore, it was the WWWF at the time and was an extremely small territorial promotion, Vince completely changed how wrestling was done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SaysWho? changed the title to Update: Vince McMahon retires after rape allegations and NDAs and all that

It's being reported that Lesnar walked out and was supposed to be a big part of tonight's Smackdown! Dunno how reliable Culaholic is, but they're running with Goldberg being called to take Lesnar's place at Summerslam.

https://cultaholic.com/posts/exclusive-wwe-smackdown-plans-in-flux-following-brock-lesnar-walkout-goldberg-replacing-him-at-summerslam

FYTbO7yWQAQF3am?format=jpg&name=medium

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's being reported that Lesnar walked out and was supposed to be a big part of tonight's Smackdown! Dunno how reliable Culaholic is, but they're running with Goldberg being called to take Lesnar's place at Summerslam.

https://cultaholic.com/posts/exclusive-wwe-smackdown-plans-in-flux-following-brock-lesnar-walkout-goldberg-replacing-him-at-summerslam

FYTbO7yWQAQF3am?format=jpg&name=medium

Cultaholic is very reliable: they’re the original whatculture guys

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
2019.01.23-11.59-kayfabenews-5c48ffc569d
WWW.KAYFABENEWS.COM

Vince McMahon, the sports-entertainment mogul who turned turned World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) into a global pop-culture juggernaut...

I am surprised Vince didn't come out on Smackdown and have a weird meta segment where he fired himself.

youre-fired-vince-mc-mahon.gif

20 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

What does this mean to us gentiles?

If I had to guess it's probably a result of some personal loyalty to Vince that Brock feels. Also maybe some factor that Brock might suspect his cushy WWE deal will be changing without Vince being the one in charge. While Vince has a  well deserved reputation for being all about business, there are a few guys who are so successful and/or loyal to the company that a genuine friendship does seem to form there. Guys like Austin and Taker. Brock is the closest thing to that for the past decade.

There has been so much palace intrigue the past couple of years with the WWE you could probably make a 7 season show on HBO about it. As it has become clear Vince was declining in mental and physical ability there has been a mad dash for power wrangling that reads like it's from a book about the decline of the Roman Empire. 

Personally I think it's a shame there wasn't a more orderly handoff to HHH into the Vince roll. For all his faults as a wrestler and backstage politician. Black and Gold NXT is probably the last sustained bit of coherent quality the entire company has managed. Vince made the mistake of every king and emperor throughout history who walked headlong into a succession crisis. He couldn't conceive that there would ever be a time when the great Vince McMahon would have to hand off the real power.

Spoiler

In the last 12 or so hours, all I can really say is that I'm genuinely torn by all of this. I got into this love of professional wrestling back in the mid 80's, they "hey day" of Hulkamania, Macho Man, Hart Foundation, The Rockers, even that cheesy wrestling cartoon. These characters were larger than life, truly superheroes among the rest of us mortals and it imprinted itself upon me. I was hooked & to one degree or another, its continued throughout the entirety of my life thus far. I really believe that were it not for VKM, I don't think that wrestling would be as grand a spectacle as it is today. For that, I have appreciation for the man.

That being said though, so many outlets have gone "Vince retires!" ... no you dumb shits! Vince was forced out by a scathing reveal of just how disgusting this guy is. Add to it comes more to the surface by the day post the WSJ article. For those of us who have followed wrestling for the last 40-50 years, there have been moments & touchstones in which we were able to see past the fog & smoke & lights to witness how cruel & awful this POS is. Time and time and time again it was doubled down upon all while SO many rumors & speculation circled amongst the fandom and eventually the IWC. It became too much really, culminating in a way with the tragic loss of Eddie & the awful events that transpired around Benoit. Wrestling became a bit soured in my personal opinion thereafter. I sought out other ways to attempt to enjoy the sport of course but my love & passion just wasn't quite there as much. Then comes the Undertaker/HBK rematch which was touted as the "End of an Era" & looking back, wow it was so very true in regards to TRUE Superstars & what now resides mostly within that company.

Then in August of 2018, even though I was still keeping my fingers on the pulse of wrestling generally, I wasn't SO invested ... then All In happened & that shook wrestling to the core & a swelling tide of change had begun. In stark contrast to all that evolved & became of that PPV, the company that first garnered my love, adoration, and attention had faltered further away from what I wanted and it was all laid at the feet of a man who seemingly didn't even really give a shit. To quote CM Punk from 2011, WWE & VKM will make money in spite of themselves, and because of that, things won't ever change because those in power don't want it to with regards to what he could control. The disrespect towards passionate fans, even worse treatment of his own employees (in terms of what we saw & what was reported anyways), as well as the product itself just kind of eating itself really.

Yesterday was a different "End of an Era" and it was something that should have happened a lot sooner. I fear for what will further come out by those with axes to grind, those who have lived in silence, fear, or both for far too long, and a floodlight shone upon the awfulness that transpired during his reign. YET, hope does spring eternal! I believe that with the huge tide change, really great things can come out of it which in the end will *hopefully* only bolster the profession as a whole & make it even better.

Those of us who are fans of the sport as a whole know full well that if & when WWE does well, then ALL of wrestling thrives. That's certainly not going to change for a very long time, if ever. It is going to be tumultuous over the next number of months certainly, but the pain of that growth & change will bring about amazing things. The vigor & excitement for this sport, this avenue of entertainment, whatever you wish to call it, it will swell & grow and bring amazing new experiences to be had.

I'm glad the true character of VKM has been exposed, and now is the time to rip off the band-aid and bring it all to the light, no matter how ugly & awful much of it very well may & will be. The old guard must go & with it, an evolution into a whole new era to carry us for decades to come. It is both sad & awesome what happened to Vince & why, but all I really know is that I'm stoked to see what can come out of all of this that we can all celebrate together.

JFC I didn't know I typed that much until I posted. My bad, spoiler tag for those who have a few minutes to read I suppose then.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

If I had to guess it's probably a result of some personal loyalty to Vince that Brock feels. Also maybe some factor that Brock might suspect his cushy WWE deal will be changing without Vince being the one in charge. While Vince has a  well deserved reputation for being all about business, there are a few guys who are so successful and/or loyal to the company that a genuine friendship does seem to form there. Guys like Austin and Taker. Brock is the closest thing to that for the past decade.

There has been so much palace intrigue the past couple of years with the WWE you could probably make a 7 season show on HBO about it. As it has become clear Vince was declining in mental and physical ability there has been a mad dash for power wrangling that reads like it's from a book about the decline of the Roman Empire. 

Personally I think it's a shame there wasn't a more orderly handoff to HHH into the Vince roll. For all his faults as a wrestler and backstage politician. Black and Gold NXT is probably the last sustained bit of coherent quality the entire company has managed. Vince made the mistake of every king and emperor throughout history who walked headlong into a succession crisis. He couldn't conceive that there would ever be a time when the great Vince McMahon would have to hand off the real power.

I’m kinda genuinely concerned (concerned isn’t really the correct word, but neither is “intrigued” or even interested lol. Maybe something between the three?) with Nick Khan being what is seemingly co-CEO. I’m pretty sure he just wants to sell the company to NBC, Fox or Disney

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m kinda genuinely concerned (concerned isn’t really the correct word, but neither is “intrigued” or even interested lol. Maybe something between the three?) with Nick Khan being what is seemingly co-CEO. I’m pretty sure he just wants to sell the company to NBC, Fox or Disney

Selling the company is almost assuredly his number one goal.

The first thing he should do is fire Kevin Dunn and put in anyone that will direct the show like they are not having a seizure, I say this with no hyperbole that WWE is literally unwatchable to me now because of the camera work. 

35 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Selling the company is almost assuredly his number one goal.

The first thing he should do is fire Kevin Dunn and put in anyone that will direct the show like they are not having a seizure, I say this with no hyperbole that WWE is literally unwatchable to me now because of the camera work. 

How long has he been in charge of cameras?

9 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

It's not a surprise that most of HHH successes in NXT were sabotaged once they got to the main roster. Guys like Dunn have been known to sabotage certain people especially if what Moxley said about him is true. It's also been known that HHH and Dunn don't like one another. This "lack of main roster success" leads to Johnny Ace returning as EVP of Talent Relations in early 2021 and NXT 2.0 in the summer of 2021. The stress of both of those along with his lifestyle may have been a contributing factor HHH's heart attack in September 2021. All of this makes a seemingly logical handoff to HHH less likely.

Fast forward to yesterday. News breaks early that HHH is back as EVP of Talent Relations then the bombshell. Vince wouldn't leave before Monday's Raw at MSG and a week before Summerslam unless this was insurmountable. Reports are saying Dunn may be done by the end of the year but changes are likely to be gradual to not upset stakeholders. Hopefully, his name gets dropped in the allegations so we can be rid of him once and for all.

As far as Brock goes, I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave but eventually came back like he did at the end of the show after getting paid extra or if Vince called him to fulfill his obligation. If he does show at Summerslam, I expect him to lose and fuck off for a long while. WWE will finally be forced to build up others since Roman is likely to be a part-timer in the near future.

Unfortunately, I don't see NXT returning to Black & Gold since that's basically what AEW is now.

34 minutes ago, 69los said:

It's not a surprise that most of HHH successes in NXT were sabotaged once they got to the main roster. Guys like Dunn have been known to sabotage certain people especially if what Moxley said about him is true. It's also been known that HHH and Dunn don't like one another. This "lack of main roster success" leads to Johnny Ace returning as EVP of Talent Relations in early 2021 and NXT 2.0 in the summer of 2021. The stress of both of those along with his lifestyle may have been a contributing factor HHH's heart attack in September 2021. All of this makes a seemingly logical handoff to HHH less likely.

Fast forward to yesterday. News breaks early that HHH is back as EVP of Talent Relations then the bombshell. Vince wouldn't leave before Monday's Raw at MSG and a week before Summerslam unless this was insurmountable. Reports are saying Dunn may be done by the end of the year but changes are likely to be gradual to not upset stakeholders. Hopefully, his name gets dropped in the allegations so we can be rid of him once and for all.

As far as Brock goes, I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave but eventually came back like he did at the end of the show after getting paid extra or if Vince called him to fulfill his obligation. If he does show at Summerslam, I expect him to lose and fuck off for a long while. WWE will finally be forced to build up others since Roman is likely to be a part-timer in the near future.

Unfortunately, I don't see NXT returning to Black & Gold since that's basically what AEW is now.

Brock already came back. He was on Smackdown last night

This is interesting. 

What are the chances that vince and family buy back remaining stock?

Vince is dtill a major stockholder, and would need to agreed to sell. 

This will be a show I think. 

Depends how bad upcoming news is I guess. I have a hard time picturing Vince just walking into the sunset.

107093338-1658754860037-gettyimages-1406
WWW.CNBC.COM

World Wrestling Entertainment on Monday disclosed $14.6 million in previously unrecorded expenses paid personally by top shareholder Vince McMahon.

World Wrestling Entertainment on Monday disclosed $14.6 million in previously unrecorded expenses paid personally by top shareholder Vince McMahon, who announced his retirement Friday as he is being investigated for claims of sexual misconduct.

WWE also hinted that the misconduct allegations, already the subject of an ongoing independent review overseen by the company’s board, are under investigation by other entities.

“The Company has also received, and may receive in the future, regulatory, investigative and enforcement inquiries, subpoenas or demands arising from, related to, or in connection with these matters,” WWE said in an SEC filing Monday morning.

I still don't get wtf he did to his face. For years, he simply looked like he was just getting older.

1999:

MV5BMjI1MDRmNGUtN2JmMy00MWRiLWEzYmYtMTI4

2003:

069a2-15571242038973-800.jpg

2007:

20070806_vkm--ae9e55a9297d58ae4dafee268f

2011:

vince2_original_crop_exact.jpg?w=545&h=3

2015:

RAW_1119_Photo_004-1974871037.0.0.jpg

I feel like sometime around 2016 or 2017, something seemed a bit different, but I could maybe chalk it up to really noticing the bags under his eyes:

1516910686-xflm.jpg

But in the past few years, he did some weird shit to his cheeks!

WWE-Vince-McMahon.jpeg

vince-mcmahon.jpg

WWE-HOF-2022-Vince-McMahon-2.jpg

I don't know much about Botox, but the little I do know, I just assumed that maybe that's what he did.

But IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT.