We will cure cancer within the next 15 years

I truly believe that to be true. Two stories from even the past two days:

05rectal-cancer-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The study was small, and experts say it needs to be replicated. But for 18 people with rectal cancer, the outcome led to “happy tears.”

07BREAST-CANCER-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

For some patients with metastatic tumors not significantly affected by other forms of chemotherapy, the treatment halted their cancer’s growth.

The development of the COVID vaccines proved that with enough cash and willpower, you can notch incredible scientific developments in a relatively short amount of time. I think development toward true cures is on the precipice of exponential possibility.

• Like 2

One of my dear friends died this past week after 3 years of rectal cancer. She was like another mother to me. She would be so happy for this to happen even though she didn’t live to see it herself.

I really hate cancer

Seeing as how this is my industry now, I think 15 years is too optimistic. 10 years ago we were barely talking about immunotherapy. We were just starting to understand the extent to which cancer is a disease of the genome. 

Within the next 15 years we’ll have more and more affordable genomic sequencing which should help inform treatment research which will hopefully make a solid feedback loop. 

But I’d love to be wrong. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, outsida said:

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

62729101-96c6-4f9d-a423-33035ccca568-thu
WWW.HEALTH.HARVARD.EDU

A new medication for the treatment of obesity has been approved by the FDA, and it received significant media attention in the months leading up to its approval. A...

Now let me know when it's cheap and readily available, lol

17 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Now let me know when it's cheap and readily available, lol

There are several GLP-1 meds that induce weight loss. If you have insurance, Ozempic is usually only $25-$75 per month.

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

There are several GLP-1 meds that induce weight loss. If you have insurance, Ozempic is usually only $25-$75 per month.

Medication is one of those areas that appears to be getting harder and harder to get results from because as more advanced technology keeps happening, ancient health care system are getting better and better at rejecting coverage for them. I literally cannot get a GLP-1 med approved, and my doctor has gone through the list of trying all of them. Because his office is horrible at paperwork, they avoid submitting preauthorization paperwork (because it's obviously SO hard), which means approval never even gets a chance to happen. My understanding is that this happens way too often because insurance companies just don't want to pay these out, and doctors just don't want to do the paperwork.

I'd get a new doctor but I live in Texas, which means I'm lucky the homeless guy with a medical license is willing to take me on as a patient.

• True 1

2 hours ago, brucoe said:

Medication is one of those areas that appears to be getting harder and harder to get results from because as more advanced technology keeps happening, ancient health care system are getting better and better at rejecting coverage for them. I literally cannot get a GLP-1 med approved, and my doctor has gone through the list of trying all of them. Because his office is horrible at paperwork, they avoid submitting preauthorization paperwork (because it's obviously SO hard), which means approval never even gets a chance to happen. My understanding is that this happens way too often because insurance companies just don't want to pay these out, and doctors just don't want to do the paperwork.

I'd get a new doctor but I live in Texas, which means I'm lucky the homeless guy with a medical license is willing to take me on as a patient.

That’s wild. I take a low dose of a GLP-1 (for pancreas stimulation) and both my previous insurance company (Humana) and my new carrier (Community Health Choice) covered it without any pre-authorization required.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That’s wild. I take a low dose of a GLP-1 (for pancreas stimulation) and both my previous insurance company (Humana) and my new carrier (Community Health Choice) covered it without any pre-authorization required.

Unfortunately, the state of Texas's health insurance is as you would expect.

1 minute ago, brucoe said:

Unfortunately, the state of Texas's health insurance is as you would expect.

Oh, yours is from the State directly? I actually switched us to a health insurance marketplace plan because non-marketplace individual insurance plans are bonkers expensive. Not that this is cheap, per se, but I pay about $450 a month for my coverage and just the GLP-1 medication would be $1200/month paying cash.

You may want to check in to getting a marketplace plan, they do have subsidies spending on your income level that can further reduce cost and it may all be worth it to get access to the medication you need 

My mom died of small-cell liver cancer about 3 days after she was diagnosed. Pretty sure that will never be curable. It's only been diagnosed in like 10 people ever because the illness goes from like "oh man, this is a particularly bad bout of the flu" to "oh shit I'm dead" so fast that no one knows what killed you, unless they 

autopsy you for some reason.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

My mom died of small-cell liver cancer about 3 days after she was diagnosed. Pretty sure that will never be curable. It's only been diagnosed in like 10 people ever because the illness goes from like "oh man, this is a particularly bad bout of the flu" to "oh shit I'm dead" so fast that no one knows what killed you, unless they 

autopsy you for some reason.

This is all subject to change depending on lots of things such as where the science actually goes, reimbursement, risk, etc. But there is talk about blood tests as part of standard care / physicals that would look for things like circulating tumor DNA that could, in theory, catch stuff like this before people are symptomatic or it randomly gets spotted during imaging for something else.

Who knows if we’ll end up there, but it’s possible.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1