Joker: Folie à Deux - Releases 10/24/24 (until it gets cancelled) - Official Teaser Trailer

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Wait. Joker 2 is a musical?

In part, apparently. I actually loved Joker on release and now, away from all the discourse at the time around it, I think it's only gotten better as something very different for a "comic book" film than what we've been getting over and over. Looks like director Todd Phillips plans to go even crazier with the sequel.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit disappointed that the vast majority of the songs will be covers and not original compositions :(

VARIETY.COM

"Joker 2," with Lady Gaga and Joaquin Phoenix, will be a jukebox musical — no original songs are expected to be in the DC Comics film.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm a bit disappointed that the vast majority of the songs will be covers and not original compositions :(

VARIETY.COM

"Joker 2," with Lady Gaga and Joaquin Phoenix, will be a jukebox musical — no original songs are expected to be in the DC Comics film.

If they can give me Moulin Rouge 2 quality creative covers/musical mashup. Then I see/have no problem with them not doing anything original for the movie. Although a new original song would probably drop during the credits for Oscar consideration. 

47 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I genuinely hated the first movie and it annoys that it not only won OSCARS, but is getting a sequel.

I actually really liked the first movie and I think it's even better in retrospect as an Elseworlds Joker story, aka Taxi Driver but with the Joker. It's completely different than everything we've been getting in the comic book movie space and we need more of that, not less.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's completely different than everything we've been getting in the comic book movie space and we need more of that, not less.

Sure we do, but can they at least be good, and not shallow pieces that think they're deeper than they really are? 

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

Sure we do, but can they at least be good, and not shallow pieces that think they're deeper than they really are? 

Shallow or not, it's got incredible style, an excellent lead performance, and it's incredibly entertaining. People always criticize the movie for acting deeper or seeming deeper than it is, but that's just one aspect to a whole movie for me. There is plenty else to focus on and be thrilled by in that movie than a fairly direct and simple screed about how largely amoral and apathetic society is, especially to its most vulnerable people. The chilling sequence where he's about to step out onto the talk show stage and dances I felt was worth the price of admission alone.

People enjoyed The Marvels and Dial of Destiny in their respective threads. This, to me, is far more entertaining and rewatchable than those.

12 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I blame this movie for Taron Egerton not getting his flowers as Elton John outside of Best Original Song.

Well, that and Bohemian Rhapsody sweeping a bunch of awards the year before.

You should just blame awards for being meaningless in the first place and frequently getting it wrong. :p Bohemian Rhapsody won an Oscar for best film editing despite the editor agreeing to being made fun of for having such bad editing in that film with scenes like this and yet it won best editing. 

WWW.ESQUIRE.COM

If you've seen the movie, you know the one. “Whenever I see it, I want to put a bag over my head,” the editor said recently.

• Haha 1

I appreciate that Joker is not a bad movie but I just can't get over the notion that it's an inferior, edgelord version of The King of Comedy. The performances are good but I didn't think they were especially remarkable and how it ended up making a billion dollars is something I'll never understand. :p

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

You should just blame awards for being meaningless in the first place and frequently getting it wrong. :p Bohemian Rhapsody won an Oscar for best film editing despite the editor agreeing to being made fun of for having such bad editing in that film with scenes like this and yet it won best editing. 

WWW.ESQUIRE.COM

If you've seen the movie, you know the one. “Whenever I see it, I want to put a bag over my head,” the editor said recently.

I’M BLAMING EVERYONE! AND I’M ADDING YOU TO THE LIST BECAUSE I’M IRRATIONAL!!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I appreciate that Joker is not a bad movie but I just can't get over the notion that it's an inferior, edgelord version of The King of Comedy. The performances are good but I didn't think they were especially remarkable and how it ended up making a billion dollars is something I'll never understand. :p

Often style can make up for a lot if it can provide a visceral experience, that's what it was for me with Joker. Style can be substance from time to time I think. It's a very engaging movie on certain levels. A heavily stylized, edgelord version of The King of Comedy actually sounds pretty great as a Joker movie to me. :p 

On 4/2/2024 at 2:55 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Wow. Killed all interest for me.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Joker: Folie à Deux - Releases 10/24/24 (until it gets cancelled) - Official Teaser Trailer

Todd Phillips was on hand this week at CinemaCon to introduce the trailer and said he thought it was odd that people were calling it a musical as he wouldn’t describe it that way. He said he didn’t think it was terribly different from how the first film was built around a lot of music, though they leaned a little more into it after they signed Gaga up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Todd Phillips was on hand this week at CinemaCon to introduce the trailer and said he thought it was odd that people were calling it a musical as he wouldn’t describe it that way. He said he didn’t think it was terribly different from how the first film was built around a lot of music, though they leaned a little more into it after they signed Gaga up.

So I'm not watching it now I guess 

It will be a musical in the sense that Gaga’s character is a singer and will feature numbers where she sings but it won’t be one of those musicals where they spontaneously break out into song. Think Once or A Star is Born.

I thought the first Joker was pretty good all things considered but part of the appeal was that it was sold as a one and done. Making a sequel takes that away, but if you’re gonna make another one at least go weird with it, and making a music-centered sequel is certainly weird. I like Gaga so I’m in.

• True 1
  • Hype 1

On 4/2/2024 at 2:46 PM, Keyser_Soze said:
EW.COM

Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn dances with Joaquin Phoenix in a haunting new poster for 'Joker: Folie à Deux' ahead of the new trailer release date.

spacer.png

I'm not a prude about smoking but goddamn this poster makes me mad. Why does he need a cig in his hand? Why does the Joker even need to smoke? It adds absolutely nothing in terms of characterization, and it doesn't make him look any cooler. I'm 99% sure it's only to give Joaquin a way to smoke on set.