Ricky Gervais' new Netflix special is filled with rabid transphobia, surprising no one

This is becoming a theme for Netflix

Ricky-Gervais.png?w=1024
VARIETY.COM

Ricky Gervais' "SuperNature" has only been released on Netflix for a few hours, but has already drawn criticism.

"Oh, women!" he starts. "Not all women, I mean the old-fashioned ones. The old-fashioned women, the ones with wombs. Those fucking dinosaurs. I love the new women. They're great, aren't they? The new ones we've been seeing lately. The ones with beards and cocks.

They're as good as gold, I love them. And now the old-fashioned ones say, 'Oh, they want to use our toilets.' 'Why shouldn't they use your toilets?' 'For ladies!' 'They are ladies — look at their pronouns! What about this person isn't a lady?' 'Well, his penis.' 'Her penis, you fucking bigot!' 'What if he rapes me?' 'What if she rapes you, you fucking TERF whore?'"

Lacking the courage to write gags about things he actually believes, Gervais continuously inoculates himself against sincerity ("This is so childish and misinformed, it hurts," he says, giggling, before telling a long, rambling and, you guessed it, anti-trans joke).

Wondering what life would be if he were a teenager in these "woke times", Gervais, of course, says he would "self-ID" as trans because he is "trendy". He also cracks jokes about gender-affirming healthcare. "I'd have a big f***y," he says, adding: "I'd be a real woman … I'd be a little lesbian fella called Vicky Gervais. "I'd probably be a butch lesbian 'cause of all the testosterone till then."

If you want something that puts Gervais in his place, this James Acaster bit (targeted at Gervais) is great:

• Haha 2

I'm so tired of these aging assholes just trying to get a rise out of people, rather than trying to make people laugh. The only ones they care about making laugh is themselves because they find it funny to piss people off, and if other assholes laugh along with them then all the better for them. In their minds they can do no wrong, and any criticisms against them is an attack, rather than a call for self reflection and improvement. 

Gervais's standup has always sucked though. He was better as just an actor and writer for things like The Office and Extras. 

• True 1

ricky-gervais.jpg
HARD-DRIVE.NET

Ricky Gervais was found dead after a massive fire in Los Angeles burned away all low-hanging fruit, which was his only source of sustenance.

lol

LOS ANGELES — Comedian Ricky Gervais was found dead at age 60 in his home this morning after a massive fire in Los Angeles burned away all low-hanging fruit, which was his only source of sustenance, according to those familiar with the situation. 

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm so tired of these aging assholes just trying to get a rise out of people, rather than trying to make people laugh. The only ones they care about making laugh is themselves because they find it funny to piss people off, and if other assholes laugh along with them then all the better for them. In their minds they can do no wrong, and any criticisms against them is an attack, rather than a call for self reflection and improvement. 

Gervais's standup has always sucked though. He was better as just an actor and writer for things like The Office and Extras. 

Ooof, hard disagree on Gervais's previous stand up. He has some brilliant bits about religion, regular life, and caring for animals (like old Chappelle stuff). But I am 100% with you on this, it's so disappointing.

It's so weird that they can't get past trans stuff. What the fuck is the big deal? First of all, there's pre-op and post-op, just for starters. So no not "all of them" have penises per se. And choosing to cut up and change your whole body, even just talking drugs to change your body is life altering. No one's doing this as some sort of lark or call for attention, trans people struggle immensely with identity, etc. To casually be like: "oh I'd be trans cause it's trendy" is still the dumbest thing I keep hearing. A shame. Most men wouldn't get pregnant for their partners if that option was on the table, but they'd go trans in a heartbeat? Sure.

• Halal 1

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Ricky Gervais' new Netflix special is filled with rabid transphobia, surprising no one

Some women have peepees hahaha I will make my whole act based on my inability to accommodate new information. I also fashion myself as an irony free iconoclast who at some point didn’t realize that I went from speaking truth to power to wielding power myself. Worship me. 

• True 2
  • Halal 3

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's like Gervais' whole deal :p

In his standup, indeed! It’s why despite being a big fan of most of his TV series I just never get into his standup. There a few shows I can think of less cynical and mean spirited than Derek, and it is without a doubt my favorite thing he has ever crafted.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Some women have peepees hahaha I will make my whole act based on my inability to accommodate new information. I also fashion myself as an irony free iconoclast who at some point didn’t realize that I went from speaking truth to power to wielding power myself. Worship me. 

So accurate it had to be quoted.

• True 1

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I really don't watch much standup comedy. Maybe this is why?

There's lots of really great stand up comedians, typically younger people, who do great jokes. Gervais and Chappelle have just forgotten where they come from, or have gotten too old, or both. That's the thing, stand-up comedy can be very toxic, but there's already proof of tons of comedians whose jokes never punch down and the jokes work great. 

• True 1

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I just don’t find it funny to be mean to people. I don’t know why that is such a draw for so many.

Yeah but don’t you quietly agree with a lot of the stuff that Chapelle and Gervais believe in? I’m not gonna let you pat yourself on the back just because you silently look down on a marginalized group of people.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Standup comics are some of the most insufferable people to be around. I know several... they really aren't all that self aware and they are almost ALWAYS performing.

I’m not saying I haven’t met standups like that, but don’t you live in LA? A city like that is obviously gonna attract a certain type of comic. I found the standup scene in Orlando to be low key toxic but where I live currently I find the scene to be supper positive and supportive. Some of my favorite people are comics.

4 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

Yeah but don’t you quietly agree with a lot of the stuff that Chapelle and Gervais believe in? I’m not gonna let you pat yourself on the back just because you silently look down on a marginalized group of people.

Glad you’re back :)

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's lots of really great stand up comedians, typically younger people, who do great jokes. Gervais and Chappelle have just forgotten where they come from, or have gotten too old, or both. That's the thing, stand-up comedy can be very toxic, but there's already proof of tons of comedians whose jokes never punch down and the jokes work great. 

I've seen snippets of various comics that I've liked over the years, but it's not something I make a habit of watching. Jim Jeffries has some good stuff, as did George Carlin. And I guess it counts, but I saw the Liberal Redneck Comedy Tour a couple years ago for my birthday when that trio was in town and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I’m not saying I haven’t met standups like that, but don’t you live in LA? A city like that is obviously gonna attract a certain type of comic. I found the standup scene in Orlando to be low key toxic but where I live currently I find the scene to be supper positive and supportive. Some of my favorite people are comics.

I live in LA but most of the stand ups I know are from NY and in the New York scene... same difference though I guess :p My ex is a stand up and she's a sweetheart, but her friends :doh: She always complained about them stealing each other's jokes too. Very competitive and envious scene from what i understand. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country. I know Chicago has a real supportive comedic community but that's more improv than stand up.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I really don't watch much standup comedy. Maybe this is why?

It’s unfair to write off an entire art form because of one cishet bigot. Here’s a trans comic who I really enjoy.

Unfortunately there’s the old guard like Gervais which gives standup a bad name but there are truly a bunch of younger comics who are working at making comedy a more inclusive and positive space. I’m actually performing at an all woman showcase next month! It’s getting better bit by bit.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I honestly just don't  care about the  genre as a whole.

What don't you care about it? A little bit of background in case you don't already know, I'm a trans woman comedian who is using my platform to shed light on important issues while also keeping my audiences entertained. So it's kinda weird for me to see an entire art form denigrated just because of some transphobe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I live in LA but most of the stand ups I know are from NY and in the New York scene... same difference though I guess :p My ex is a stand up and she's a sweetheart, but her friends :doh: She always complained about them stealing each other's jokes too. Very competitive and envious scene from what i understand. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country. I know Chicago has a real supportive comedic community but that's more improv than stand up.

Yeah the scenes in LA and NY certainly intimidate me. I'd like to move to a major city eventually to get more work but currently not feeling either city. Half the comics in Orlando were certainly the way you described. You could never have an actual conversation with another comic, it just felt like a continual contest of who can add the funniest line.

And from my experience, those who do improv are much less competitive and better at being team players. I've recently started dating someone in improv, and I find his lack of ego to be very refreshing.