Ricky Gervais' new Netflix special is filled with rabid transphobia, surprising no one

11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've always wondered "why are there more trans women than trans men?" Last I checked, trans women outnumber trans men by about 3:1. Unless there's some biological factor we don't know about yet, it would have to be something cultural. 

My theory has been that we, as a society, are generally pretty accepting of "girls who act like boys." In other words, girls who want to play football and wear men's clothing are treated like... normal. Boys who want to play with dolls and wear dresses have to bottle everything up. Girls are given more latitude to just be who they are, so they're more comfortable in their own skin, even if they're not "normal."

Gender dysmorphia shouldn't be more common in men than in women, yet it is. I don't think it's because men are more likely to experience it, rather that women are more likely to have adjusted to their own identity by the time they're an adult, because they haven't felt "wrong" for being themselves.

That was a long way of saying that if these people are so afraid of gays and trannies, they should probably just let their kids be whoever they want to be. They're helping create the problem they're afraid of.

(Not that being trans should ever be considered a "problem," I'm just making a point)

Also I recognize that take could come off as dismissive towards trans people. I don't mean it that way. Everyone's experience is unique. Sexuality/gender isn't something that lends itself to broad strokes

Actually likely genetics:

Genetics

A 2008 study compared 112 male-to-female transsexuals (MtFs), both androphilic and gynephilic, and who were mostly already undergoing hormone treatment, with 258 cisgender male controls. Male-to-female transsexuals were more likely than cisgender males to have a longer version of a receptor gene (longer repetitions of the gene) for the sex hormone androgen, which reduced its effectiveness at binding testosterone.[5] The androgen receptor (NR3C4) is activated by the binding of testosterone or dihydrotestosterone, where it plays a critical role in the forming of primary and secondary male sex characteristics. The research suggests reduced androgen and androgen signaling contributes to the female gender identity of male-to-female transsexuals. The authors say that a decrease in testosterone levels in the brain during development might prevent complete masculinization of the brain in male-to-female transsexuals and thereby cause a more feminized brain and a female gender identity.[5][6]

A variant genotype for a gene called CYP17, which acts on the sex hormones pregnenolone and progesterone, has been found to be linked to female-to-male (FtMs) transsexuality but not MtF transsexuality. Most notably, the FtM subjects not only had the variant genotype more frequently, but had an allele distribution equivalent to male controls, unlike the female controls. The paper concluded that the loss of a female-specific CYP17 T -34C allele distribution pattern is associated with FtM transsexuality.[7]

8 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Actually likely genetics:

Genetics

A 2008 study compared 112 male-to-female transsexuals (MtFs), both androphilic and gynephilic, and who were mostly already undergoing hormone treatment, with 258 cisgender male controls. Male-to-female transsexuals were more likely than cisgender males to have a longer version of a receptor gene (longer repetitions of the gene) for the sex hormone androgen, which reduced its effectiveness at binding testosterone.[5] The androgen receptor (NR3C4) is activated by the binding of testosterone or dihydrotestosterone, where it plays a critical role in the forming of primary and secondary male sex characteristics. The research suggests reduced androgen and androgen signaling contributes to the female gender identity of male-to-female transsexuals. The authors say that a decrease in testosterone levels in the brain during development might prevent complete masculinization of the brain in male-to-female transsexuals and thereby cause a more feminized brain and a female gender identity.[5][6]

A variant genotype for a gene called CYP17, which acts on the sex hormones pregnenolone and progesterone, has been found to be linked to female-to-male (FtMs) transsexuality but not MtF transsexuality. Most notably, the FtM subjects not only had the variant genotype more frequently, but had an allele distribution equivalent to male controls, unlike the female controls. The paper concluded that the loss of a female-specific CYP17 T -34C allele distribution pattern is associated with FtM transsexuality.[7]

People keep forgetting there is a genetic component to the reason that people have these instinctual gender issues. It's not a "choice" in so far when it comes to this.

I think Gervais is an unfunny twat and I don't know why people like him at all. I watched the special and it was nothing special. I didn't find it particularly offensive or groundbreaking. It's just a big 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I wish it was offensive because then I wouldn't have wasted my time. 

While I empathize with people who are on the receiving end of transphobia, nothing here was any worse than the shit that regularly passes about Asians, Mexicans, and Black people as comedy. I mean he even said he believes Trans Rights are Human Rights in it, his message was "hey comedians are gonna make fun of everybody, everyone needs to take a deep breath." Which I don't necessarily disagree with. He even jokes that there's no funny women, and I'm like Iliza is way funnier than you bro. 

Before seeing this thread, I watched this special and laughed at quite a few things, found a few things lazy and uninteresting, but overall have the feeling that a lot of the outrage about his views on trans people is completely blown out of proportion.

At the very beginning (and a couple times later) he specifically draws attention to the fact that he often will make horribly "wrong" jokes about things precisely because people know what the right thing is. I laughed at quite a few jokes that were pretty horrible on their face, because I recognized and appreciated the misdirection, irony, etc. As he points out himself, he jokes about all kinds of horrible things like rape, pedophilia, the Holocaust, etc. and yet what riles people up the most and what we hear about are the trans jokes.

I don't know... From some of his previous standup work and shows like After Life, Derek, etc. it seems to me that he's pretty clearly a humanist in favor of all human (and animal) rights. He even explicitly says at one point in this special that he is pro-trans and of course trans rights are human rights. He just likes taking the piss out of everybody. But the clips of him saying he's pro-trans don't really draw in the views/clicks or generate 4-page threads. :p 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

57 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Before seeing this thread, I watched this special and laughed at quite a few things, found a few things lazy and uninteresting, but overall have the feeling that a lot of the outrage about his views on trans people is completely blown out of proportion...

This is all well and good but at any point during the special does Ricky Gervais utter the phrase, "It's morbin time"?

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:28 PM, Nokra said:

Before seeing this thread, I watched this special and laughed at quite a few things, found a few things lazy and uninteresting, but overall have the feeling that a lot of the outrage about his views on trans people is completely blown out of proportion.

At the very beginning (and a couple times later) he specifically draws attention to the fact that he often will make horribly "wrong" jokes about things precisely because people know what the right thing is. I laughed at quite a few jokes that were pretty horrible on their face, because I recognized and appreciated the misdirection, irony, etc. As he points out himself, he jokes about all kinds of horrible things like rape, pedophilia, the Holocaust, etc. and yet what riles people up the most and what we hear about are the trans jokes.

I don't know... From some of his previous standup work and shows like After Life, Derek, etc. it seems to me that he's pretty clearly a humanist in favor of all human (and animal) rights. He even explicitly says at one point in this special that he is pro-trans and of course trans rights are human rights. He just likes taking the piss out of everybody. But the clips of him saying he's pro-trans don't really draw in the views/clicks or generate 4-page threads. :p 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:24 PM, stepee said:

Cant comment on if this was bad or not because I haven’t seen video of it.0

:jordan:

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

:jordan:

:confused:

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think @Nokra is actually German he just went to school there for 10 years because he didn't want to get shot.

Yeah I was born in Iowa and grew up in Idaho, only leaving for Germany when I was about 25.  :p

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

:confused:

Yeah I was born in Iowa and grew up in Idaho, only leaving for Germany when I was about 25.  :p

I was laughing at him :p 

@stepeehas a bad habit of taking people out of context and making false equivalence’s for his dopey one liners, and it was amusing to me that you who actually watched the special (unlike the rest of us) had a take on the content of the special that was at odds with the headlines and quotes of the worst of the jokes. It is exactly why I don’t hold opinions on content I haven’t seen just because the internet told me I should feel a certain way.

Reading quotes is not the same as watching the show. Otherwise we would all just read screenplays.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I was laughing at him :p 

@stepeehas a bad habit of taking people out of context and making false equivalence’s for his dopey one liners, and it was amusing to me that you who actually watched the special (unlike the rest of us) had a take on the content of the special that was at odds with the headlines and quotes of the worst of the jokes. It is exactly why I don’t hold opinions on content I haven’t seen just because the internet told me I should feel a certain way.

Reading quotes is not the same as watching the show. Otherwise we would all just read screenplays.

If you think that sounds like a good excuse to make transphobic jokes then I think we just disagree on that tbh. If that was enough for you to change your previous stance that people should ignore the special thats fine, but it didn’t change my stance.

Edit: The “ah gee shucks ain’t I a stinker” angle was already mentioned in the op so I’m not sure why this was revelatory enough to you to think a point had been made 

45 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you think that sounds like a good excuse to make transphobic jokes then I think we just disagree on that tbh. If that was enough for you to change your previous stance that people should ignore the special thats fine, but it didn’t change my stance.

Edit: The “ah gee shucks ain’t I a stinker” angle was already mentioned in the op so I’m not sure why this was revelatory enough to you to think a point had been made 

The point eludes you still, and that is fine. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

aw damn I was like one post away from getting you to argue with yourself but ya I don’t have time anyway lol

I know you too well now, friend