Why is there no Call of Duty for Switch?!?

GameDadGrant

@GameDadGrant Since nobody here works for Activision (except me, obviously), all they can offer is their best guesses. Yes, it is theoretically possible for some studio somewhere to spend years making a brand new, great COD game just for the Switch, really milk the hell out of that ancient hardware, maybe even get a decent multiplayer up and running. There aren’t many exclusive Switch FPSs, it could really clean up! So why hasn’t that happened yet? We can assume that nobody who makes these decisions thinks it’s worth the time/effort. If we ever do see COD on Switch, it’ll probably be something low effort like the mobile version, not what you want. 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

To be fair bro? People are GUESSING why. But there is no actual, factual, historically accurate way to say this wouldn't be possible. ACTIVISION PUT A *FREE* VERSION TO PLAY ON PHONES. A game that potentially has *ZERO* revenue. But they still did it. And despite that...no version of Call of Duty for Switch. 

WTF. 

It isn’t a guess, it is the answer to every question of why a publicly traded company does anything. The only priority for the executive team is increasing shareholder value, which comes by taking the finite resources of the firm and allocating them in the way the executive team believes generates the maximum profit.

You mention they create games they give away: yes, they do, and they make money on them through in app purchases. They crunch the numbers and determined that they will generate more profit with a game that has zero barrier to entry but also has micro transactions.

So it really is that simple, the company doesn’t believe the investment of resources is worth the estimated return on investment. They could be wrong, but that is unquestionably why COD is not on the platform.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

@GameDadGrant Since nobody here works for Activision (except me, obviously), all they can offer is their best guesses. Yes, it is theoretically possible for some studio somewhere to spend years making a brand new, great COD game just for the Switch, really milk the hell out of that ancient hardware, maybe even get a decent multiplayer up and running. There aren’t many exclusive Switch FPSs, it could really clean up! So why hasn’t that happened yet? We can assume that nobody who makes these decisions thinks it’s worth the time/effort. If we ever do see COD on Switch, it’ll probably be something low effort like the mobile version, not what you want. 

Again, I don’t even want it! I don’t like FPS games. It’s just weird that this franchise isn’t on Switch. 

And beyond that? Like you said; we are all just assuming stuff now. No one has an actual answer.

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@GameDadGrant How is Apex on the switch? Running like a dream?

The fug is Apex? 

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It isn’t a guess, it is the answer to every question of why a publicly traded company does anything. The only priority for the executive team is increasing shareholder value, which comes by taking the finite resources of the firm and allocating them in the way the executive team believes generates the maximum profit.

You mention they create games they give away: yes, they do, and they make money on them through in app purchases. They crunch the numbers and determined that they will generate more profit with a game that has zero barrier to entry but also has micro transactions.

So it really is that simple, the company doesn’t believe the investment of resources is worth the estimated return on investment. They could be wrong, but that is unquestionably why COD is not on the platform.

It absolutely is a guess. You have ZERO proof otherwise. 

Stop replying to this thread unless you have something substantial to say. 

Thank you in advance. 😊 

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

1.) You really saying freakin' ACTIVISION? One of the biggest, most successful, publishers of video games for the past THREE GOD DAMN DECADES? Can't be fucked to devote even a small team of developers to put out a simple FPS game on the world's most popular system? Seriously? What the hell are you smoking?

2.) No, and you are correct.

3.) AGAIN. I'M NOT SAYING PUT A MODERN CALL OF DUTY ON SWITCH. MAKE ONE EXCLUSIVELY FOR SWITCH. MADE *SPECIFICALLY* FOR THE SYSTEM AND IT'S STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES.  WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND.

4.) I downloaded the game on my iPhone. It's not a good game. But I got it anyway since my friend is a voice actor in the game. *shrugs*

Did the previous Nintendo console COD games bomb compared MS and Sony consoles + PC releases?

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

It absolutely is a guess. You have ZERO proof otherwise. 

It is the responsibility of the executives under threat of civil liability to do what I just laid out. It isn’t a guess, at all. The only thing we don’t know is why Activision doesn’t believe it will generate the ROI necessary to pull the trigger.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Did the previous Nintendo console COD games bomb compared MS and Sony consoles + PC releases?

No.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is the responsibility of the executives under threat of civil liability to do what I just laid out. It isn’t a guess, at all. The only thing we don’t know is why Activision doesn’t believe it will generate the ROI necessary to pull the trigger.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Do you have sales figures? Because I cannot find any.

Just overall sales of the games across all platforms. Sorry if that doesn’t help.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

All that I can say about this thread is that I implore @GameDadGrant to NEVER, EVER consider operating a business :p

I actually own and operate two business, haha. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

I'd actually be willing to bet they made this decision early on in the Switch's life and then just decided it wasn't worth spending the money to change course a few years down the line. I'd say they bet wrong considering how's many Switches have been sold, but they likely figured it would make more sense, financially, to wait on a Switch 2 and see if that one is poised to continue the sales trend.

• Halal 1

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

I'd actually be willing to bet they made this decision early on in the Switch's life and then just decided it wasn't worth spending the money to change course a few years down the line. I'd say they bet wrong considering how's many Switches have been sold, but they likely figured it would make more sense, financially, to wait on a Switch 2 and see if that one is poised to continue the sales trend.

This is most likely. 

And also the most intelligent post in the entire thread. 

The decision is still stupid though, IMO. Imagine a world where Activision saw the sales of the PS3 and just decided to unilaterally stop making ‘Call of Duty’ for that platform. 

The internet would lose its god damn mind. But when it comes to Nintendo, people are like…”myeh.” 

Not sure why that is, but…!

@GameDadGrant

What AAA third party games do you own on the switch?

Actually, to everyone, what AAA third party games do you own on the switch? 

I own none and I only have first(second?) party games like Xenoblade, Zelda, Mario, and Smash. I don't even own any indie games. Tho I did own Shovel Knight on the Wii U. 

I really do find it simply inconceivable that Activision would look at the Switch unit sales and deliberately ignore that data in favor of continuing with whatever early decision was made regarding the viability of the platform rather than performing a financial analysis to determine whether that original assumption still held true.

Simply inconceivable to the point of staggering the imagination.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I own none and I only have first(second?) party games like Xenoblade, Zelda, Mario, and Smash. I don't even own any indie games. Tho I did own Shovel Knight on the Wii U. 

A couple of indies: Slay the Spire, Overcooked, Celeste and Hades.  That's all.

At first I thought "Don't know don't care!" but then I thought maybe Black ops 3 or 4 { can't remember the one I liked the best but it had a shit ton of Zombie remakes plus all new ones and was fantastic stand alone } Zombie port. Zombies on the go could be fun as hell. I haven't played a CoD since Blackops 4. I have it installed on my Xbox 1X and do visit it periodically but as for a CoD past or Present I just think they are much to Ram intensive and space filling to even be an option. If you look at what we have as for large shooters as far as I know of it's Fortnight and Apex legends. Those I'm sure have much less fidelity and textures,,, Now I may be wrong but I know just the zombies I'm talking about is a massive install.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really do find it simply inconceivable that Activision would look at the Switch unit sales and deliberately ignore that data in favor of continuing with whatever early decision was made regarding the viability of the platform rather than performing a financial analysis to determine whether that original assumption still held true.

Simply inconceivable to the point of staggering the imagination.

I'd agree with you if Activision had more Switch development experience. It's not Call of Duty, though. How many games has Activision actually published on the Switch?

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

@GameDadGrant

What AAA third party games do you own on the switch?

Witcher 3

Saints Row 3rd

GTA Trilogy

Bioshock Infinite

DQ11S

Ori 1/2

Skyrim

tony hawk hd

13 Sentinals

Nba 2k1

Crash trilogy

Spyro trilogy

Assasssins Creed 3

Burnout Paradise

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Dragons Dogma

Dying Light

La Noire

Mortal Kombat 11

New Super Luckys Tale

Red Faction Guerella 

Sonic Forces

Starlink

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'd agree with you if Activision had more Switch development experience. It's not Call of Duty, though. How many games has Activision actually published on the Switch?

Even in the situation where Activision's studios had limited Switch development experience, I simply cannot imagine that Activision management would ignore Switch unit sales data and not order a financial viability analysis for its biggest revenue-generating franchise.  

Crash Bandicoot may not warrant such an analysis, but CoD sure as hell would!

Just now, stepee said:

Witcher 3

Saints Row 3rd

GTA Trilogy

Bioshock Infinite

DQ11S

Ori 1/2

Skyrim

tony hawk hd

13 Sentinals

Nba 2k1

Crash trilogy

Spyro trilogy

Assasssins Creed 3

Burnout Paradise

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Dragons Dogma

Dying Light

La Noire

Mortal Kombat 11

New Super Luckys Tale

Red Faction Guerella 

Sonic Forces

Starlink

Stepee, you’re a whore and I love you for it

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Even in the situation where Activision's studios had limited Switch development experience, I simply cannot imagine that Activision management would ignore Switch unit sales data and not order a financial viability analysis for its biggest revenue-generating franchise.  

Crash Bandicoot may not warrant such an analysis, but CoD sure as hell would!

Does Activision give CoD to third parties to work on? Honest question, because I don't know the answer. Crash, for instance, wasn't ported to the Switch by Activation. They sent that off to Toys for Bob, same as they did with Spyro. Who handled the port of Tony Hawk? Maybe that one was actually internal? Is there even anything else they've done on the Switch other than those three games?

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Does Activision give CoD to third parties to work on? Honest question, because I don't know the answer. Crash, for instance, wasn't ported to the Switch by Activation. They sent that off to Toys for Bob, same as they did with Spyro. Who handled the port of Tony Hawk? Maybe that one was actually internal? Is there even anything else they've done on the Switch other than those three games?

To the best of my knowledge, all primary development work for CoD has been performed by internal Activision studios.

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To the best of my knowledge, all primary development work for CoD has been performed by internal Activision studios.

We might not be looking at Activision with "limited" Switch development experience but virtually no Switch development experience. If Activision had historically not sent CoD to be worked on by third parties and they have no internal Switch teams, then it's really easy to see how the math would work out here. Even porting an old CoD game to the Switch would require putting together a new team to first handle porting IW to the Switch. As far as I'm aware, the engine has never supported the Switch. If they chose not to support the Switch early on, it makes less sense to port IW to the Switch with each year that passes.

Amusingly, it looks like they did port the engine to the Wii U. That probably did not work out well for them.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

All of them isn't a list. 

Haha, fair enough. You're not wrong. 

But honestly? You name it, I probably own it. 

Assassin's Creed

The Witcher

DOOM

Grand Theft Auto

Mortal Kombat

Wolfenstein

Resident Evil

Monster Hunter

Street Fighter

Shin Megami Tensei

Dragon Quest

I mean, I dunno. All of Square's weirdly named games. Octopath, Triangle StrategyI Am Setsuna. I don't know if games like Mario + Rabbids counts as 3rd party, or games like MARVEL: Ultimate Alliance 3Astral Chain count? What about No More Heroes 3? I also have Bayonetta 3 on pre-order, ready to pick up on release day. 

Not sure what that has to do with Call of Duty not being on Switch, but....*shrugs* 

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Not sure what that has to do with Call of Duty not being on Switch, but....*shrugs* 

Mostly, I just want to see how many people are buying many AAA third party titles. Some from you and stepee aren't games I'd consider AAA, but that really isn't the point. I'm really curious how well AAA titles are selling at the switch. And to add to that, how many of those are people actually playing to completion or have at least 30+ hours in if it is an endless game.