Why is there no Call of Duty for Switch?!?

GameDadGrant

There must be some reason, because its not like they don't want money. My guess is the engine doesn't scale well to the switch's limited system RAM. Additionally, Call of duty came to Wii-U so maybe the relationship was bad for either party or both? Someone's assuredly done the math and came up with a "No" in the corporate magic 8-Ball. 

51 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Activision, WTF. 

Doesn't even have to be a modern CoD. Just do a one-off. Like the PSP or Vita game. 

Seriously. Switch is one of the best-selling systems OF ALL TIME. Why not have one of the best-selling game franchises represented? 

This is bullshit. 

To go off of what Mr Vic said the problem that the Switch has it's radically different from the other systems available. So while yes the Switch is at over 100 mil, that number isn't more then the number of PS4/PS5/Xbox/PC gamers.

8 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

You guys. 

I'm not asking for them to down-port a modern CoD. 

Make a Switch-exclusive game the same way they did for PSP/Vita/DS. 

I don't understand why this is difficult. 

There probably is no technical reason why they couldn't do what you suggest which means that Activision conducted a financial analysis and determined that the market for a pared-down, Switch-exclusive CoD title simply doesn't exist.

• True 1

Yeah, I have to imagine the number of people who want a COD game and don’t have an Xbox, PlayStation, or gaming PC is pretty low. Even adding the people who have one of those systems and would rather play a COD game on Switch for whatever reason, I don’t imagine that it’s a number high enough to get their attention. 

• Halal 1

10 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

You guys. 

I'm not asking for them to down-port a modern CoD. 

Make a Switch-exclusive game the same way they did for PSP/Vita/DS. 

I don't understand why this is difficult. 

Perhaps they have data for how much it would cost to make said exclusive game vs how much they would expect to make from it and know that it's not worth the effort.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There probably is no technical reason why they couldn't do what you suggest which means that Activision conducted a financial analysis and determined that the market for a paired-down, Switch-exclusive CoD title simply doesn't exist.

I'm guessing you're right, but it does surprise me.

I suppose they suspect that COD players generally want to play the newest games (for MP) and likely have access to some system on which they can play them.

Still, it does seem surprising that they couldn't find any worthwhile niche on the Switch. We've seen time and time again that people seen to buy Switch games that have been on other platforms for years. COD doesn't seem like it would be a real exception.

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There probably is no technical reason why they couldn't do what you suggest which means that Activision conducted a financial analysis and determined that the market for a pared-down, Switch-exclusive CoD title simply doesn't exist.

Nah bro. 

Even a dumbed-down Switch-exclusive CoD would sell. I mean...isn't there a F2P version out there somewhere? Put THAT shit on Switch and see how it performs. I mean, damn....they can put the freakin' franchise on a PHONE but can't for the best-selling home console/handheld/hybrid?!? 

I am calling bullshit. 

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

I am calling bullshit. 

Why do you think they would not do it if it were something that they think would be profitable?

Facts: Actablizz dislikes women, but loves money! There is no COD on Switch, the most successful console by install base. Nintendo appears to be open to it.

Conclusions: Either a woman pitched the idea of porting/making a switch COD or the numbers aren't there. 

• Haha 1

Nah bro. 

Even a dumbed-down Switch-exclusive CoD would sell. I mean...isn't there a F2P version out there somewhere? Put THAT shit on Switch and see how it performs. I mean, damn....they can put the freakin' franchise on a PHONE but can't for one of the best-selling home console/handheld/hybrid?!? 

I am calling bullshit. 

f2p version of COD is Warzone and Switch couldn’t run that. A theoretical Switch 2 likely will be able to run it and unless MS is against it by then, I would expect that is when you’ll get your COD on Switch in 2-3 years.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Why do you think they would not do it if it were something that they think would be profitable?

I DON'T KNOW!!!!

...that's why I'm asking the question. 

Funny thing is, I don't even want to play it. I don't like FPS games. But it's weird that this super-popular series isn't on Switch. Assassin's Creed is on Switch. Grand Theft Auto is on Switch. Hell, even Street Fighter and Monster Hunter have *exclusive* games on Switch. It's like Activision is making a deliberate decision to NOT make a Call of Duty for the system. 

....and like...why?

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

f2p version of COD is Warzone and Switch couldn’t run that. A theoretical Switch 2 likely will be able to run it and unless MS is against it by then, I would expect that is when you’ll get your COD on Switch in 2-3 years.

Fine. 

Make a Switch-exclusive version that DOES run on the hardware. It can't be THAT hard. 

DOOM ETERNAL runs on Switch. Prove me wrong. 

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

I DON'T KNOW!!!!

...that's why I'm asking the question. 

Funny thing is, I don't even want to play it. I don't like FPS games. But it's weird that this super-popular series isn't on Switch. Assassin's Creed is on Switch. Grand Theft Auto is on Switch. Hell, even Street Fighter and Monster Hunter have *exclusive* games on Switch. It's like Activision is making a deliberate decision to NOT make a Call of Duty for the system. 

....and like...why?

But people are telling you why, that they likely did analysis and found it would not be a profitable venture. Which you disagree with, so since you don’t think the obviously correct answer is actually correct, and have no other ideas, I guess just lock this thread

:lock:

Just now, sblfilms said:

But people are telling you why, that they likely did analysis and found it would not be a profitable venture. Which you disagree with, so since you don’t think the obviously correct answer is actually correct, and have no other ideas, I guess just lock this thread

Dude. If you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, then just don't bother replying the the thread. 

Bye.

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Dude. If you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute, then just don't bother replying the the thread. 

Bye.

This thread is not worthwhile once you got the correct answer multiple times and whined that it simply couldn't be it. A literal waste of @Commissar SFLUFAN's money.

15 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Fine. 

Make a Switch-exclusive version that DOES run on the hardware. It can't be THAT hard. 

DOOM ETERNAL runs on Switch. Prove me wrong. 

They don’t need to make an exclusive they just need to wait a couple years!

There are many reasons why they won't do an exclusive switch version

1. All of Activision's studios are working on some sort of COD project and most of them are multi-platform. These are projects that are already being worked on so it would probably be difficult to devote a team just for a platform exclusive game and overall not worth it for them in the long run. (And also much too late in the switch lifecycle to consider)

2. Have you played any COD recently? (Look who I'm asking? lol) They aren't good, you wouldn't want to play one anyway.

3. Multiplayer is a big part of COD and it would probably run like ass on the switch

4. The games are too big and probably wouldn't fit on a switch cartridge

5. You have a smart phone just play on that.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

To be fair bro? People are GUESSING why. But there is no actual, factual, historically accurate way to say this wouldn't be possible. ACTIVISION PUT A *FREE* VERSION TO PLAY ON PHONES. A game that potentially has *ZERO* revenue. But they still did it. And despite that...no version of Call of Duty for Switch. 

WTF. 

To be fair bro? People are GUESSING why. But there is no actual, factual, historically accurate way to say this wouldn't be possible. ACTIVISION PUT A *FREE* VERSION TO PLAY ON PHONES. A game that potentially has *ZERO* revenue. But they still did it. And despite that...no version of Call of Duty for Switch. 

WTF. 

So if there is no technical reason why they couldn't, doesn't that necessarily imply a financial reason?

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There are many reasons why they won't do an exclusive switch version

1. All of Activision's studios are working on some sort of COD project and most of them are multi-platform. These are projects that are already being worked on so it would probably be difficult to devote a team just for a platform exclusive game and overall not worth it for them in the long run. (And also much too late in the switch lifecycle to consider)
  2. Have you played any COD recently? (Look who I'm asking? lol) They aren't good, you wouldn't want to play one anyway.

3. Multiplayer is a big part of COD and it would probably run like ass on the switch

4. The games are too big and probably wouldn't fit on a switch cartridge

5. You have a smart phone just play on that.

1.) You really saying freakin' ACTIVISION? One of the biggest, most successful, publishers of video games for the past THREE GOD DAMN DECADES? Can't be fucked to devote even a small team of developers to put out a simple FPS game on the world's most popular system? Seriously? What the hell are you smoking?

2.) No, and you are correct.

3.) AGAIN. I'M NOT SAYING PUT A MODERN CALL OF DUTY ON SWITCH. MAKE ONE EXCLUSIVELY FOR SWITCH. MADE *SPECIFICALLY* FOR THE SYSTEM AND IT'S STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES.  WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND.

4.) I downloaded the game on my iPhone. It's not a good game. But I got it anyway since my friend is a voice actor in the game. *shrugs*

6 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

More people have phones than switches and the game makes a lot of money.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So if there is no technical reason why they couldn't, doesn't that necessarily imply a financial reason?

Are you honestly asking why the most popular gaming franchise wouldn't sell on the world's most popular dedicated video game system? 

Really? 

...like...really? 

1.) You really saying freakin' ACTIVISION? One of the biggest, most successful, publishers of video games for the past THREE GOD DAMN DECADES? Can't be fucked to devote even a small team of developers to put out a simple FPS game on the world's most popular system? Seriously? What the hell are you smoking?

2.) No, and you are correct.

3.) AGAIN. I'M NOT SAYING PUT A MODERN CALL OF DUTY ON SWITCH. MAKE ONE EXCLUSIVELY FOR SWITCH. MADE *SPECIFICALLY* FOR THE SYSTEM AND IT'S STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES.  WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND.

4.) I downloaded the game on my iPhone. It's not a good game. But I got it anyway since my friend is a voice actor in the game. *shrugs*

1.  Yes I'm saying that, and I'm not smoking anything, it's happening already and why you made this thread
  2. Thank you
  3. You're nuts if you think they're gonna make a COD with no MP.
  4. Wow, way to insult your friend! :nottalking:

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Are you honestly asking why the most popular gaming franchise wouldn't sell on the world's most popular dedicated video game system? 

Really? 

...like...really? 

It's not that it wouldn't "sell".

It's that it wouldn't sell enough to justify its "opportunity costs" relative to other projects even before taking into account ongoing support.

I’ll actually half agree with Grant in that while I think Activision looked into the possibility and decided it wasn’t worth the investment as most everyone agrees, I don’t think they are correct. Or rather, their ideas might not have been worth the investment but it’s absence is due to a failure on their end to come up with an idea to use the franchise and the player base or Switch and generate worthwhile profit.

• Like 1