Do you ever 'fight' with your SO?

Fizzzzle

My neighbors fight about once a week, and they go for like HOURS. The walls are thick enough that I can't hear what they're yelling about other than the phrases "fuck you" and "get the fuck out," but I can still hear it. But it's 1am right now and they've been going at it since like 9.

Doesn't that get exhausting? I don't think I've ever gotten into an argument with any of my exes that lasted for longer than 15 minutes, because if whatever we're arguing about isn't resolved by then, one of us just says "fuck it, I'm going to bed, we can talk about this tomorrow."

At least with my last girlfriend, I found that if an argument went on too long, a fight about one thing quickly spiraled into a fight about everything. So one of us would just pull the "we'll talk about this tomorrow" card and end the discussion. Usually the next day it was easier to talk about it, or more likely, whatever we were fighting about didn't seem like a big deal anymore.

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Almost never. We might get overwhelmed sometimes or have a disagreement like all people do, but even that is infrequent. We never yell or scream.

I’ve been in relationships before where fighting and screaming and yelling were almost a daily thing. I can’t do it anymore. Relationships are supposed to bring you peace and happiness, not misery and drama. I’m glad I healed a bit in that area and found a healthy relationship and a supportive partner. 

How long have you been together?

Going on 18 years being married and the number of legit arguments we have had can be counted on one hand. Even those did not involve any yelling, we just aren’t that way.

My wife and I have been together for 10 years and only got into 2 fights. First fight was after buying our house and trying and failing to do a house reno project together. Second was our belated honeymoon in T&C, that involved alcohol, food poisoning, and sunburn. Otherwise, we are pretty much on the same page and rarely disagree. It helps that we talk about everything openly and honestly. 

We've never had a fight. We've been together three years now, and while not fighting can certainly be viewed as not constructive if you're just withholding things just to avoid a fight, we've never really had anything to fight about. Neither of us like being yelled at (who does really?), so any difficult topics we are able to just have a level headed discussion about. We're bound to have a fight at some point of course, but I think we're both mature, and smart enough to not turn it into a screaming match, and we'll deal with it in a healthy way.