Holocaust denial to become criminal offense in Canada

image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Holocaust denial is to be outlawed in Canada, in a further effort to stamp out rising antisemitism.

The federal government is set to make it a criminal offence to make a statement denying the Holocaust took place or condoning or downplaying the killing of Jews by the Nazi regime, except in a private conversation.

"Jewish Canadians comprise one per cent of the Canadian population yet are the target of 62 per cent of all religiously motivated hate crimes," said Richard Marceau, vice-president of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs. "We live in a time of rising antisemitism."

Canada will join a string of European countries, including Germany, Greece, France, Belgium and the Czech Republic, which have already prohibited Holocaust denial.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

yeah…I don’t like this.

No form of speech should be criminalized outside of explicit threats. And this may seem very minor, but it’s the very top of a very long, slippery slope.

When do these slippery slopes ever pan out? Like, right-wing reactionaries are going to ban the word "gay"? Oh wait, they already do that without the need for good use of laws. If we're going to be afraid of passing good laws because bad people will use it as an excuse to pass bad laws, then there's no point in having government.

1)  This portion of the Budget has received very little media coverage.  If Riley hadn't posted here, I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

2)  Canada already has pretty good Hate Speech laws, I wonder if this specific law is even needed.

41 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Nothing makes me roll my eyes harder than "slippery slope" arguments.

If "free speech" is so damned fragile that this minor limitation causes its entire house of cards to come tumbling down, then perhaps it's not worth even existing in the first place.

I really think that almost all Holocaust denial would be caught up in Canada's already existing hate speech laws.

My concern is the precedent in banning specific speech on a specific topic.  I would prefer if it was kept more generic.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

This is the natural consequence of the really silly idea that speech is violence.

Your point about speech not being violence is spot on.

However, explicitly racist hate speech is a problem in Canada.  In many cases, holocaust denial leads directly into calls for violence against Jews.  IMHO, I think the problem is more the violence against Jews (and general antisemitism), rather than the holocaust denial itself.

4 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

yeah…I don’t like this.

No form of speech should be criminalized outside of explicit threats. And this may seem very minor, but it’s the very top of a very long, slippery slope.

It will be alright. It's Canada. The fine will probably be a stern talking to by a Canadian. "Sorrey Sir, but that's not right eh. Don't say it again ok?"

• Haha 1

This is the sorta thing where I’m not sure if it’s necessary just because there are already hate crime laws, but also don’t care and I’m fine with it. But I feel like I’m going to have to listen to people whine about it which is annoying. But maybe not since it’s Canada. Don’t believe in slippery slopes, they are actually used as brick walls to stall progress.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:55 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t like it in general. But have there been similar laws on the books in Germany and if so has anyone slid down that slope?

So I checked this. 

reichstag-bundestag-germany-laws-hate-sp
WWW.PBS.ORG

A troubled history is alive in Germany — both in a resurgence of far-right ideology and in changes to the laws designed to combat that extremism.

Some of these laws date back to the 19th century. The slope in Germany at least doesn’t seem to be especially slippery. 

Performative law making is fine, like the push to make lynching a federal crime. I mean, every aspect of lynching is already illegal, lynching is not a crime that occurs with any regularity, but whatevs making it specifically illegal.

Supporting limiting people from expressing ideas you don’t like (such as Holocaust denial) is granting the government the right to decide what ideas are ok and what ideas aren’t. That itself is the issue, not some future case we might not like. It’s easier to not care about that when the particular idea being banned is near universally seen as objectionable.

But I see this pop up in situations where people will express opposition to the death penalty, and then say “I don’t mind that THIS person is being killed by the government”. My objection to the state killing people is without respect for what kind of person it is, just as my objection to the government banning the expression of ideas is without respect to what those ideas are.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Supporting limiting people from expressing ideas you don’t like (such as Holocaust denial) is granting the government the right to decide what ideas are ok and what ideas aren’t. 

I can all but assure you that the State does that anyway so we might as well take our victories when we can.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I can all but assure you that the State does that anyway so we might as well take our victories when we can.

This is increasingly true in much of the developed world, though not so in the US.

Also I think people take ideological purity too far sometimes. I believe it's perfectly fine to not want government to do some things, but also be okay with them doing those things sometimes. I get that people will respond with "well what if they come for your opinion/action next?" Well then I'll be against it. But certain opinions/actions are almost universally popular, so I'm not that concerned about it.

I mean, Canada on paper has fewer personal freedoms than the US, but I would argue has a much more stable culture and society, especially politically. 

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also I think people take ideological purity too far sometimes.

This is why I roll my eyes whenever the charge of "hypocrisy" is thrown around.

This is the real world: no one gives a rat's ass about hypocrisy, nor should they.  In fact, if a person doesn't practice hypocrisy on some level, then I have to really question their level of intellectual development.  The act of hypocrisy clearly demonstrates a higher level of cognition because it is unconstrained by the "foolish consistency" which is the "hobgoblin of little minds".

When someone accuse you of hypocrisy, your response should always be, "Yes, and what of it?"

• True 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is the real world: no one gives a rat's ass about hypocrisy

This board is obsessed with hypocrisy, though that could be disingenuous :p 

But  hypocrisy isn’t what I’m describing, I’m talking about the principles from which we operate, e.g. the State should not kill prisoners. If that is a principle, the particular of the prisoner is irrelevant. You aren’t being hypocritical for opposing the death penalty generally while making exceptions in certain cases, you’re just not holding to your principle.

From there all sorts of interesting things could be afoot, like intellectual inconsistency. Who knows.

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But  hypocrisy isn’t what I’m describing, I’m talking about the principles from which we operate, e.g. the State should not kill prisoners. If that is a principle, the particular of the prisoner is irrelevant. You aren’t being hypocritical for opposing the death penalty generally while making exceptions in certain cases, you’re just not holding to your principle.

I genuinely fail to see a substantive distinction between hypocrisy and not being true to one's principles.