Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm playing on the one above normal. Game is as I suspected, pretty easy. They knew they would get a lot of non gamers buying this game and tuned the difficulty accordingly. Normal is easy in other games and hard is normal.

I'm on normal because I suck at games but you're absolutely correct it's easy and made for a wide audience. 

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well shit! Still using those eh? Any new experiences/use cases with them?

One of the arms snapped but I fixed it with electrical tape and it works like a charm. I use it for almost all my gaming and media watching still. I don’t envision myself ever buying another TV or monitor again. 

This is the very first model to come out and it’s already pretty great with 1080p and good colors/black at 60fps. There are several competitors coming out too so the future looks pretty bright for this tech.

44 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have no problems with people expressing their views on JK Rowling.  I have no problem with outlets directly linking negative articles about the creators in a review. 

I do think outlets do a disservice to their readers when they publish something like this, pretending it is a legitimate review:

Real “the term Xenos is a dog whistle” energy.

People like this certainly aren’t helping peoples view of Games “Journalism”.

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Real “the term Xenos is a dog whistle” energy.

People like this certainly aren’t helping peoples view of Games “Journalism”.

Gaming "journalism has always been a joke... it's why an "review" like this could even be published with a straight face. This isn't an anomaly it's the norm.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Rev said:

One of the arms snapped but I fixed it with electrical tape and it works like a charm. I use it for almost all my gaming and media watching still. I don’t envision myself ever buying another TV or monitor again. 

This is the very first model to come out and it’s already pretty great with 1080p and good colors/black at 60fps. There are several competitors coming out too so the future looks pretty bright for this tech.

Anything coming out this year looking good? 4k?

Played a little bit of the opening to where I was exploring the ruins a bit. Quite the opening. Definitely getting some good vibes starting up here. Might have to put Dead Space on hold? We will see.

@best3444 So far I haven’t seen a drop below 116fps (this is what 120fps maxes out to with dlss3, just how it works) at 4k dlss quality with everything as high up as it goes!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Played a little bit of the opening to where I was exploring the ruins a bit. Quite the opening. Definitely getting some good vibes starting up here. Might have to put Dead Space on hold? We will see.

@best3444 So far I haven’t seen a drop below 116fps (this is what 120fps maxes out to with dlss3, just how it works) at 4k dlss quality with everything as high up as it goes!

Is it bad that I really want to upgrade my 3090? lol. I'm being more patient due to the current economic situation impacting my industry.

Here is the intro level on my system. I didn't realize the performance overlay didn't record, but it was mostly running in the 100s, no gameplay impacting dips from what I saw so far. 

CPU use maxes out at a whopping 25%. 

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Is it bad that I really want to upgrade my 3090? lol. I'm being more patient due to the current economic situation impacting my industry.

Here is the intro level on my system. I didn't realize the performance overlay didn't record, but it was mostly running in the 100s, no gameplay impacting dips from what I saw so far. 

CPU use maxes out at a whopping 25%. 

CPU % doesn’t matter really because it’s single threading so the full cpu is being used especially with RT that’s the issue with a lot of things, and from impressions, what hits this one with RT in the open world. 

Dlss3 is the reason to upgrade right now because it seems like you really need it in every other big game that comes out now, because you get that 2x on cpu.

Even from a 3090ti, you get like 80% more performance, then with dlss3 you double that on the gpu end and also double your cpu performance.

A 4080 wouldnt be quite that but still on dlss3 games would be more substantial than a usual gpu upgrade still over a 3090ti.

4000 series is a hell of an upgrade. I’m going to ignore all the silly things like realistic economic concerns and thinking of the future and say fucking YOLO :D

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

CPU % doesn’t matter really because it’s single threading so the full cpu is being used especially with RT that’s the issue with a lot of things, and from impressions, what hits this one with RT in the open world. 

Dlss3 is the reason to upgrade right now because it seems like you really need it in every other big game that comes out now, because you get that 2x on cpu.

Even from a 3090ti, you get like 80% more performance, then with dlss3 you double that on the gpu end and also double your cpu performance.

A 4080 wouldnt be quite that but still on dlss3 games would be more substantial than a usual gpu upgrade still over a 3090ti.

4000 series is a hell of an upgrade. I’m going to ignore all the silly things like realistic economic concerns and thinking of the future and say fucking YOLO :D

Actually looking at ebay it looks like you’d get at least $900 for a 3090ti so what are we even waiting for????

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

What house did you go with?

To my knowledge Empress hasn't released it yet so the answer for now is "none". However, if I were to decide based on the images of the common rooms that I've seen then probably either Slytherin or perhaps Ravenclaw. I'll probably take some dumb online quiz and let that decide, honestly. Or does the game itself feature that in the form of some questions the Sorting Hat asks you or something similar? That'd be kinda cool.

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Anything coming out this year looking good? 4k?

I don’t think anything new will be out this year. Most people seem to be focused on whatever Apple is going to announce for VR. A lot of people think it will be small enough to tap into this market. 

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Demut said:

To my knowledge Empress hasn't released it yet so the answer for now is "none". However, if I were to decide based on the images of the common rooms that I've seen then probably either Slytherin or perhaps Ravenclaw. I'll probably take some dumb online quiz and let that decide, honestly. Or does the game itself feature that in the form of some questions the Sorting Hat asks you or something similar? That'd be kinda cool.

na I think you just pick 

I got to where I can walk around Hogwarts. The first impression is VERY strong here. It’s really incredible looking maxed out (and I pushed it above that with the AO/reflection RT tweeks cuz yolo) and one of the few games I’d consider current gen worthy.

I haven’t gotten to the open world yet and maybe that is less not more impressive than the opening and Hogwarts or smtn but so far if this had come up a couple months earlier Horizon FW would have not been my pick for best graphics of the year. I don’t know what looks better than this besides Cyberpunk maxed out with dlls3 now. Some scenes I had to turn on the overlay and check gpu usage because I almost couldn’t believe they were real time like that shot with the owl as you first approach Hogwarts looking at it from afar. I walked to the downstairs bathroom and like that bathroom was fucking incredible looking. Ahhhhh

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I got to where I can walk around Hogwarts. The first impression is VERY strong here. It’s really incredible looking maxed out (and I pushed it above that with the AO/reflection RT tweeks cuz yolo) and one of the few games I’d consider current gen worthy.

I haven’t gotten to the open world yet and maybe that is less not more impressive than the opening and Hogwarts or smtn but so far if this had come up a couple months earlier Horizon FW would have not been my pick for best graphics of the year. I don’t know what looks better than this besides Cyberpunk maxed out with dlls3 now. Some scenes I had to turn on the overlay and check gpu usage because I almost couldn’t believe they were real time like that shot with the owl as you first approach Hogwarts looking at it from afar. I walked to the downstairs bathroom and like that bathroom was fucking incredible looking. Ahhhhh

You won't be able to venture out in the open world until 5 hours in. That's when you get the broom, too. Yea, the game is beautiful looking and I'm sure it looks spectacular for you. 

Just now, best3444 said:

You won't be able to venture out in the open world until 5 hours in. That's when you get the broom, too. Yea, the game is beautiful looking and I'm sure it looks spectacular for you. 

Thsts fine cuz I’ll be just making it through that part while watching tv and then be ready for the open world on the oled tomorrow :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Any of you guys making any progress in this? Thoughts? The first 5 hours is basically a tutorial in how to play the game so you must be patient. 

I just got my house. (Ravenclaw)

Also I went with a female character like I did for Destiny. Just feels right being a witch.  

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thsts fine cuz I’ll be just making it through that part while watching tv and then be ready for the open world on the oled tomorrow :D

Lol. Yea, even though it's a slower start it's very intriguing and fun to learn everything. Once you hit the open world it's a real treat. It just keeps getting better and better. I'm pretty amazed honestly.

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I just got my house. (Ravenclaw)

Also I went with a female character like I did for Destiny. Just feels right being a witch.  

Nice. I read the female character has better voice acting so that was a good move. Be patient and enjoy the first sections of the game. It opens up and its epic.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Lol. Yea, even though it's a slower start it's very intriguing and fun to learn everything. Once you hit the open world it's a real treat. It just keeps getting better and better. I'm pretty amazed honestly.

Nice. I read the female character has better voice acting so that was a good move. Be patient and enjoy the first sections of the game. It opens up and it epic.

It seems pretty cool so far. It does look great on my TV. Had to stop to cook some pizza rolls cause I'm starving but I'm going to play probably half the night.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm like 27 hours in and they're still introducing some stuff. Nothing really complex, though.

And yeah, like @skillzdadirecta, the game is pretty easy. I'm playing on normal and haven't really been challenged outside of a battle arena which was an optional sidequest and the whole point of it is to be hard. The main stuff has all been really easy. I don't feel like turning the difficulty up, though. I'm just having fun exploring the world.

• Halal 2