Bridge in Pittsburgh has collapsed, 10 injuries/0 fatalities

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Maybe if DOTs prioritized maintenance rather than expansion we’d be in good shame but no we need to spend $xxx million on a new highway interchange to save drivers 3 seconds in the middle of the night with no other cars on the road

Looks like people had already reported issues with the bridge years ago and that "tickets" had been created. 

Other noteworthy instances of Pittsburgh's strong infrastructure:

- The time a sinkhole opened up downtown and swallowed a bus:

bus-sinkhole.jpg?strip=1

- The time the Liberty Bridge caught fire:

CrXhwyWXEAAk-co.jpg

- The 'bathtub', a portion of Interstate 376 that sits below river level. The problem? It is right next to a river.

bathtub-png-1515877822.png?crop=1.00xw:0

- The Greenfield Bridge, a bridge that was so decrepit they had to build another bridge underneath it to make sure debris didn't fall onto the interstate:

SLIDER_GFbridge-1-750x400.jpg

• Shocked 2

The ridiculous thing about pieces of infrastructure like this is that they are required to be inspected by engineers ever year. I've worked with enough engineers over the years that I know that they are keenly aware that their professional careers/reputations are on the line when they submit their findings reports. So somewhere there is a report stating that this bridge was not safe for use and someone just couldn't/wouldn't shoehorn this puppy into their budget/master plan. Instead they just kept rolling the dice. Hope this county enjoys the lawsuit(s)... 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Bridge in Pittsburgh has collapsed, 10 injuries/0 fatalities
40 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The ridiculous thing about pieces of infrastructure like this is that they are required to be inspected by engineers ever year. I've worked with enough engineers over the years that I know that they are keenly aware that their professional careers/reputations are on the line when they submit their findings reports. So somewhere there is a report stating that this bridge was not safe for use and someone just couldn't/wouldn't shoehorn this puppy into their budget/master plan. Instead they just kept rolling the dice. Hope this county enjoys the lawsuit(s)... 

Reminds me of the only bridge I can take to get home within a mile of me. It's been falling apart for decades.

rourke-bridge.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&f
WWW.NBCBOSTON.COM

Drivers in Lowell, Massachusetts, are sounding the alarm about a bridge they say has become so rickety that they are afraid it could collapse at any moment. The Rourke Bridge is a critical link over the...

It's literally a temporary bridge that was only supposed to be up for like five years while a new bridge was being built. This is was back in 1983. Right now the expected date for replacing it is in 2028 because the date has always been between 5 and 10 years for the last forty years. It's cool, though. This bridge is going to cost like $140m to replace, but the cities says it can't afford it. No worries, though, the city is mulling over sinking $40m into upgrading a baseball park in hopes of bringing the Red Sox A team back.

So much of this country is held together with duct tape and hope. Maybe I should just tell my wife that we should just add an additional 15 minutes to any commutes to avoid the bridge.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yep:

25market-thumb-508xauto-45543.jpg
WHYY.ORG

Pennsylvania's auditor general finds that $4.2 billion that could have gone toward repairing hundreds of structurally deficient bridges around the state has gone to fund State Police operations.

ACAB

All Cops Are [taking money away from] Bridges

• Guillotine 4
  • Shocked 1