Alternate ways of playing games.

CastletonSnob

Inspired by SNESDrunk's "Unconventional Ways to Play Classic Super Nintendo Games" videos. (You should definitely check SNESDrunk out).

Finding alternate ways of playing a game, whether by doing a self-imposed challenge, or just playing a game differently than it was intended, are a good way of spicing up games you've played hundreds of times.

I'll start with the 30 Melon Challenge in Yoshi's Story, where you try to get all of the 30 Melons in each level, and NO OTHER FRUIT. It's basically like Hard Mode for the game. Particular Mushroom has a video that goes into more detail.

I've been playing Super Auto Pets a shit load (which you should do, it's insanely addicting). I have more fun when I'm not actually trying to win. I just make troll builds. It's fun when you make a troll build and go against someone who is clearly actually trying to get to 10 wins and beat them with bullshit.

If you guys played the game you would know what I mean

• Haha 1

I do this often in tower defense type games after all the real goals are accomplished.  Like how far can I get only using a certain type of tower or without upgrading it.

In Madden playing online sometimes I'll restrict myself to a random formation and try to win the game using only that.  

Assasin Creed games I would try things like taking out an entire outpost without being seen.  

22 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've been playing Super Auto Pets a shit load (which you should do, it's insanely addicting). I have more fun when I'm not actually trying to win. I just make troll builds. It's fun when you make a troll build and go against someone who is clearly actually trying to get to 10 wins and beat them with bullshit.

This is how I play Hearthstone when they haven’t released new cards for a while and things are stale. I’ll make a bad deck with a stupid, nearly impossible win condition. Sure, I’ll lose 10 games in a row, but that 11 game where I’ll pull a win out of nowhere is the most satisfying thing in the world. 

• Haha 2

A classic 2000s one (although nothing fancy) would be playing RE4 using only the weapons you find in the game. So your normal pistol, the upgraded pistol, the Broken butterfly, and the shotgun. It's surprisingly not as difficult as you'd think, but you do have to be more calculating in some instances. And you can make it even more difficult if you do not upgrade those weapons...and play on Professional mode. 

An even more classic alternative one that is as old as the oldest Millennials is of course playing Zelda with only 3 hearts. Can't say I've done that one though...

• Like 1

When we use to play Forge in the Halo games. My Buddy would make a simple map with various cover and we only use infinite sticky grenades and plasma pistol. He like to call it his version of Halo Paintball and was great to play. Usually led to some all in good fun loud profanity laden matches. 

can’t wait for Infinite to get Forge up and running to get this going again with my buddies. New power ups would be a great addition to our gameplay for cover

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

The early days of Overwatch when they didn’t have class/character limits and most people didn’t know the meta was awesome like that. Oh, trying to capture the second point Volskaya? Six Torbs coming at you, enjoy your death pit. 

I thought this thread was going to be about controlling the directional pad with your erection or something. It works best with turn-based rpgs, where you don't need to do quick,  complicated movements. Just keep moving towards your objective until a battle pops up and that gives you some time to fluff until you need to move again.

Silliness aside. Setting and accomplishing my own goals in games isn't overly satisfying, to me. I used to do some weird, unconventional stuff in Team Fortress 2 just to be silly/annoying. Like camping in a random spot, that isn't near any objective, with sticky bombs.

I'm trying to play through Undertale right now. It's not exactly what the thread is about because it's part of the gameplay mechanic, but I'm trying to go the pacifist route. The writing is lovely and funny, but I'm not having a great time playing it. Also, sidebar, why does a child have the option to flirt?

41 minutes ago, Derek said:

I thought this thread was going to be about controlling the directional pad with your erection or something. It works best with turn-based rpgs, where you don't need to do quick,  complicated movements. Just keep moving towards your objective until a battle pops up and that gives you some time to fluff until you need to move again.

Challenge accepted.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I've played various Street Fighter games using only one hand. It's not as difficult as it may initially seem, but it is a little challenging getting used to it. 

It's great when I play that way during local 1v1 matches. Pisses my friends right off, lol. 

Jesus, you must *really* like Chun-Li.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

When we use to play Forge in the Halo games. My Buddy would make a simple map with various cover and we only use infinite sticky grenades and plasma pistol. He like to call it his version of Halo Paintball and was great to play. Usually led to some all in good fun loud profanity laden matches. 

can’t wait for Infinite to get Forge up and running to get this going again with my buddies. New power ups would be a great addition to our gameplay for cover

God I miss halo. Trying to get my friends back to team Xbox and failing 

11 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

God I miss halo. Trying to get my friends back to team Xbox and failing 

I funny enough, just finished a group text session with my buddies about Halo. We boys agreed and shall be playing for some hours come this Friday.

Now just which one are we gonna play. The problem is 3/4 of us love Infinite but my buddies brother just couldn’t get into it and vowed never to play it again. He only played it once but hoping he gave it another go/practiced on his own with some bots. So we are hoping he does that or we go back to playing the Reach maps. . . . again. The only game my friends were willing to shell out money to buy on Steam. One friend at least was smart enough to opt for gamepass

9 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I've played various Street Fighter games using only one hand. It's not as difficult as it may initially seem, but it is a little challenging getting used to it. 

It's great when I play that way during local 1v1 matches. Pisses my friends right off, lol. 

I used to piss my roomate in college off doing that. I remember one time I beat him in Streetfighter Alpha 3 with One hand while laying upside down off of the couch :lol: He was PISSED.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I used to piss my roomate in college off doing that. I remember one time I beat him in Streetfighter Alpha 3 with One hand while laying upside down off of the couch :lol: He was PISSED.

Nicely done! :D  

Did you play on the original Playstation? That was easier to play one-handed than on say, Dreamcast. I would play as Blanka and configure Hard Punch to L1 and then all 3 punches to L2 so I could do most of his moves and his grab with just the left side. 

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Nicely done! :D  

Did you play on the original Playstation? That was easier to play one-handed than on say, Dreamcast. I would play as Blanka and configure Hard Punch to L1 and then all 3 punches to L2 so I could do most of his moves and his grab with just the left side. 

Yup it was the PS1. I think I had the same setup. I was using Ryu and would clip him with Hadoukens and dragon punches all one handed :lol: MAN he would get upset!

• Haha 1

One of the things I loved about working for Maxis (and then EA) was I was often assigned to games that were about to move out of pre-alpha, so they would want me to find how to best totally screw up the game from within. Quite often, I would find a completely different goal to achieve than what the original design of the game was meant to be. And I was often assigned this task to games from other studios (they'd hire us to do this based on our history of massively breaking others' games in this process), and it was so much fun. Once you figured out what the original engine for the game was designed to do, the amount of fun you could have within the game itself was fascinating. I remember running anti-star destroyer missions within Tie Fighter because one of the unspoken rules of the game was that without the initial star destroyer present, the whole game couldn't move forward (so we'd figure out ways to destroy the central star destroyer and see what anarchy happened after). They even "fixed" the game so that destroying that star destroyer was impossible, yet one of our senior testers, a pilot named Bill who passed away just a month ago, spent a month nonstop running strafing runs on the star destroyer before he managed to blow it up. They had to actually add a readme file to the game because of him that stated something to the effect: "If you destroy the star destroyer, the game may not be able to be completed."