Scott Pilgrim Anime in development at Netflix(original cast returning to voice)

• 1 year later...
  • silentbob changed the title to Scott Pilgrim Anime in development at Netflix(original cast returning to voice)
4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Few movies fumble the bag at the end as dramatically as Scott Pilgrim, but it’s very enjoyable other than that. Hope this turns out well.

I'm not sure if the ending to the comic book series is any better since I haven't read it, but I believe Scott Pilgrim wasn't done when the movie was made, so I believe they made up their own ending. Like with anime adapting unfinished manga, it doesn't usually go well. 

Scott Pilgrim is an odd one for me because I remember enjoying it greatly at the time and the couple of times I watched it once it hit Blu-ray, but I can’t remember almost anything that happens in the movie. Just random snippets.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure if the ending to the comic book series is any better since I haven't read it, but I believe Scott Pilgrim wasn't done when the movie was made, so I believe they made up their own ending. Like with anime adapting unfinished manga, it doesn't usually go well. 

I don’t mind that the ending in the movie doesn’t match the book ending. But the movie is 100% setting up Scott and Knives being together and then they just… pivot to Ramona. This is a good thing overall; the book doesn’t do a GREAT job of establishing that Scott dating a teenager is problematic, but it tires. The movie doesn’t really do that much at all and it would have been wild for the two of them to end up together.

It moves so fast and it’s so fun that none of this really sticks, but you know… don’t date high schoolers :p

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don’t mind that the ending in the movie doesn’t match the book ending. But the movie is 100% setting up Scott and Knives being together and then they just… pivot to Ramona. This is a good thing overall; the book doesn’t do a GREAT job of establishing that Scott dating a teenager is problematic, but it tires. The movie doesn’t really do that much at all and it would have been wild for the two of them to end up together.

It moves so fast and it’s so fun that none of this really sticks, but you know… don’t date high schoolers :p

Yeah, I mean, I agree with you, the ending definitely drops the ball in that department, it suddenly pivots to Ramona when it feels like the movie is building to him and Knives. Does the book ending do it better?

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, I mean, I agree with you, the ending definitely drops the ball in that department, it suddenly pivots to Ramona when it feels like the movie is building to him and Knives. Does the book ending do it better?

The book fleshes out everything a bit more. Ramona’s obsession with Gideon isn’t a literal mind control chip, it’s emotional baggage. Gideon manipulates Scott’s memory via subspace, so it’s not just that he’s a space cadet with a bad memory. I think for both the comic and the movie, the setup is better than the finish.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

The book fleshes out everything a bit more. Ramona’s obsession with Gideon isn’t a literal mind control chip, it’s emotional baggage. Gideon manipulates Scott’s memory via subspace, so it’s not just that he’s a space cadet with a bad memory. I think for both the comic and the movie, the setup is better than the finish.

Perhaps this anime version can do it best? It's got the same cast as the movie, so it's kind of like a re-do! Plus, you can get way crazier with what you can do in the animated space, though the movie did its best in that regard thanks to Edgar Wright's direction.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man the cast of the movie is absolutely bananas in retrospect, I'm glad they managed to get everyone to return for this because it would've felt weird otherwise. I've enjoyed the two episodes I watched and they really should disable auto credit skip for this one since both outro songs have been bangers.

I was on the fence on watching this but decided to watch a couple of episodes and glad I did. I would say it's exceeded my expectations. Really well done. They actually got a Japanese animation studio to work on the show (Science Saru) who have done some good stuff in the past. Colors are vibrant, voice acting is on point. Like Moa said don't skip the credits, so far the song is different each time.

If you're worried that this is anything like the movie it seems to stray a long way away from that.

On 11/23/2023 at 4:44 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I was on the fence on watching this but decided to watch a couple of episodes and glad I did. I would say it's exceeded my expectations. Really well done. They actually got a Japanese animation studio to work on the show (Science Saru) who have done some good stuff in the past. Colors are vibrant, voice acting is on point. Like Moa said don't skip the credits, so far the song is different each time.

If you're worried that this is anything like the movie it seems to stray a long way away from that.

This is encouraging, I'll probably check it out. I still like the movie a lot, but the bag fumbling with the ending as well as the movie's strange notion that Scott and Knives should end up together is really fucking weird in hindsight. It just skates because the affair is so kinetic and fun.

Just finished this and this comes as no surprise. I don't think I would even want a season 2.

WWW.YAHOO.COM

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Scott Pilgrim Takes Off creators Bryan Lee O’Malley and BenDavid Grabinski addressed the possibilities of a potential Season 2 renewal for their animated series adaptation of O’Malley’s popular comic book series. O’Malley and Grabinski confirmed that they didn’t develop Scott Pilgrim Takes Off to be a multi-season series. […] The post Scott Pilgrim Takes Off Creators Say They Have...

Also happened to look at some reviews on IMDB (which us masochists do at times) funny to see the low scores because:

Spoiler

People thought this would be a retelling of the movie or that Scott Pilgrim isn't in it much. Never change internet 😂

I finally got around to watching this and just finished it - it's really good! Not entirely surprising given it's animated by Science Saru who are always artistically interesting but the show is fun, well-written and really well directed with a lot of imagination. It's incredible executive producer Edgar Wright was able to get the entire cast back for this, especially since many of them are even bigger names today than they were back then, voice acting in what is essentially an anime. And they did great. I'm intrigued now to finally play the game - it's interesting to see this specific story get told in four different mediums in four sometimes very divergent and different ways (comic book, live-action film, video game, now animated show). I've heard the game is good so definitely at some point. 

It's strange the showrunners say they have no ideas for a season 2 given they put in a post credits stinger that clearly hints at more. I think this show works perfectly as a one off so I'm fine with it ending here but why say you have no ideas for a season 2 when you put in a leading stinger for a season 2? Strange, maybe they're waiting to see if it does get renewed first before being more committal. More people should watch this either way though.

• Hugs 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not entirely surprising given it's animated by Science Saru who are always artistically interesting

Well, aren't you in luck, because their next project is my most hotly anticipated title of 2024.

Very seriously has a good chance at being the runaway hit of the year. I've been looking forward to this one since chapter one of the manga.

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well, aren't you in luck, because their next project is my most hotly anticipated title of 2024.

Very seriously has a good chance at being the runaway hit of the year. I've been looking forward to this one since chapter one of the manga.

That looks pretty legit - definitely on my radar now!