Ghost of Tsushima has sold 8 million copies

SaysWho?

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

Haven't really played enough to decide if I like it or not, though it seems (so far anyway) to lean a bit toward the stealth side which isn't really my thing 

Not really. You can play it as a straight up action game especially as you level Deacon up. There's stealth but it's not a stealth game at all.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not really. You can play it as a straight up action game especially as you level Deacon up. There's stealth but it's not a stealth game at all.

I've done a couple of missions or whatever now, still not much, but there are definitely things that annoy me such as constantly having to gas up the bike

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

I've done a couple of missions or whatever now, still not much, but there are definitely things that annoy me such as constantly having to gas up the bike

Careful careful. Some get extremely butt hurt if you don’t enjoy the same video games as much as they do. 

28 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Yeah that gets tedious, but becomes less of a problem when you upgrade the bike. I don't remember because it's been a minute since I played it but I think you can eventually carry extra fuel on the bike.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah that gets tedious, but becomes less of a problem when you upgrade the bike. I don't remember because it's been a minute since I played it but I think you can eventually carry extra fuel on the bike.

yeah I saw where you can upgrade the bike. I just hate things this that devs think are cool or realistic or whatever but really are just annoyances to gameplay. Original Dark Cloud has the stupid need to keep resupplying water, the breaking weapons in Breath of the Wild was annoying as all hell. Needless nuisance tasks that add nothing to the games 

On 1/7/2022 at 10:38 AM, Biggie said:

Like SW Fallen Order the main protagonist is lame as fuck. 

I like Deacon.  :shrug:

On 1/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting... because I agree with you about Days Gone, it wasn't my GOTY that year but it was definitely my top 5, I disagree with you about Rage 2. Rage 2 had great gameplay, great graphics and an awesome world to explore. Plus the character upgrade system was awesome too. The only thing it may have been lacking was an AAA story but that's about it.

I agree that Rage 2 looks and plays great, and has a good post apocalyptic world and character upgrade system. It was those aspects that kept me playing for 20 hours, but then it got to the point where I didn’t have much of an incentive to keep going since the story and characters are paper thin. I just started feeling like I was going through the motions after a while with nothing else other than the combat to keep me invested. After 20 hours I needed a little more on offer to keep me wanting to play until the end.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I've always been a gameplay over everything else kind of guy when it comes to games. I mean what else are we playing them for? Gameplay is always first for me.

Gameplay is always first for me too, but I like an entertaining story and interesting cast of characters as well especially since I’m really into action adventure games and RPGs. I play games for the overall experience that they offer, not just for their core gameplay alone.

On 1/7/2022 at 2:40 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean as long as you're not looking to date the main character you'll be fine. Game plays amazing... I don't get these protagonist personality checks. Mario is a fucking plumber and Pac Man was a half eaten pizza. Who gives a shit?

When taking on the role of a character in a game, I want to like them. I don’t want to play as a character that I dislike, or find unappealing. I have a lot more fun with games when I like the character that I’m playing as, and I won’t play a game if I don’t like the main character regardless of how good the game might be because I don’t want to spend one second playing as a character that I dislike. It ruins the experience for me.

50 minutes ago, ARZ said:

GoT was my 2020 GOTY!

Still need to finish the DLC though, only about half done with it.

I never did get to play Days Gone. Don't remember ever seeing any decent deals for it.

If you own a ps5 the upgrades will make that game play great. I really enjoyed it at its initial release and one of my favs that year.

Finally back to this one and moved from the ps4 version via back comparability to the ps5 version. Not too much changed yeah, but I do like having lock on and the extra 25% resolution is actually noticeable to me since it kind of takes it more to my sweet spot of I don’t care it’s not native. And of course I have the other island now but I’ll check that laterz.

Visually it’s so striking I don’t care that they didn’t add much actually, it’s really almost hard to play sometimes because I can’t stop looking at it lol. Great meeting of technology and art design here, this achievement of what they got out of the ps4 kind of got overlooked because of TLOU2 on release I feel. And at 60fps now it’s simply a gorgeous thing to gaze at. Nice show off for hdr on a new tv too. 

Im starting to get a hang of the combat again. I do like it overall but I don’t think I like the stance switching much. It’s not an interesting enough component to me to be worth the cumbersome nature or switching between them. Then mixing that with the way you switch between different bow types, ammo types, sub weapon types, it’s all a bit much in the middle of a fight. It’s like trying to do FF7R level of switching things up in menus during a slow down period that is less forgiving and in a game that doesn’t feel great to play that way.

So that makes me tend to ignore some of the systems at play but that’s fine, it doesn’t really get in the way but they could have mapped and handled that better. I also don’t like how block is lb instead of rb and you can’t change it beyond global settings.

I do however like how the combat animations and everything looks killer and the deaths feel absolutely brutal. The core feel of it is great and even better now with dual sense.

Not the most raving second impression but I really am quite enjoying it despite some qualms! I also think I’m being extra picky coming right off FF7R which I really really liked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Finally back to this one and moved from the ps4 version via back comparability to the ps5 version. Not too much changed yeah, but I do like having lock on and the extra 25% resolution is actually noticeable to me since it kind of takes it more to my sweet spot of I don’t care it’s not native. And of course I have the other island now but I’ll check that laterz.

Visually it’s so striking I don’t care that they didn’t add much actually, it’s really almost hard to play sometimes because I can’t stop looking at it lol. Great meeting of technology and art design here, this achievement of what they got out of the ps4 kind of got overlooked because of TLOU2 on release I feel. And at 60fps now it’s simply a gorgeous thing to gaze at. Nice show off for hdr on a new tv too. 

Im starting to get a hang of the combat again. I do like it overall but I don’t think I like the stance switching much. It’s not an interesting enough component to me to be worth the cumbersome nature or switching between them. Then mixing that with the way you switch between different bow types, ammo types, sub weapon types, it’s all a bit much in the middle of a fight. It’s like trying to do FF7R level of switching things up in menus during a slow down period that is less forgiving and in a game that doesn’t feel great to play that way.

So that makes me tend to ignore some of the systems at play but that’s fine, it doesn’t really get in the way but they could have mapped and handled that better. I also don’t like how block is lb instead of rb and you can’t change it beyond global settings.

I do however like how the combat animations and everything looks killer and the deaths feel absolutely brutal. The core feel of it is great and even better now with dual sense.

Not the most raving second impression but I really am quite enjoying it despite some qualms! I also think I’m being extra picky coming right off FF7R which I really really liked.

Not much to add other than I rarely switched stances and made out ok. Awesome you're playing this finally and I hope you stick with it to the end! Also, I'm jelly you get to play this on ps5.

• Like 1

Beat this today, they did a good job wrapping it up and having a conclusive ending here. l started the dlc and I’ll run through that in the next day or two just to play more, but there really isn’t any need to return to these characters or stories for a franchise. Should be a one and done. Just make a similar game with the “Ghost of” name if they want to do a sequel, but everything besides the core gameplay should be totally different. Maybe stick to the East for its locations. 

Great game and while it was very Assassins Creed, it was also that in a way that felt less bloated and was more like what I want them to be.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I only put in like 2hrs of Ghost of Tsushima, so im thinking of restarting on my PS5 now that there is a next-gen version. 

however, am i reading the PS Store properly? I have to $30 to upgrade to the PS5 version? 

I believe so, don't think there was ever a $10 option just to upgrade, had to buy the Expansion as well.  It did receive a free 60fps update though on PS5, not sure if it also got a resolution bump for free.

40 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I believe so, don't think there was ever a $10 option just to upgrade, had to buy the Expansion as well.  It did receive a free 60fps update though on PS5, not sure if it also got a resolution bump for free.

so the $30 includes the DLC as well? 

seems like a giant simmering crock of shit i need to spend $30 when all i want is the enhancements to the PS5 version. $10 bux i would be OK with. 

12 minutes ago, atom631 said:

seems like a giant simmering crock of shit i need to spend $30 when all i want is the enhancements to the PS5 version. $10 bux i would be OK with. 

Ya $30 gets you the Directors Cut, which has the expansion.  They put the extra PS5 upgrades behind the DLC paywall.

• Guillotine 2

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

Besides the expansion you basically get:

Res bump from 1800 checkerboard to 2160 checkerboard

Dualsense support

Sony’s 3D audio thing support

Lock on toggle option in gameplay 

Some negligible improvements to textures here and there

Lip sync when using the Japanese audio track is now accurate and all cutscenes are now real time

By FAR the most important part of playing on ps5, the bump to 60fps, was added as a free patch before the ps5 release. So you get the main thing without paying anything else. I’d just start it up again and only pay the $30 if you really find yourself wanting on anything else above. 

The res boost is nice and was noticeable to me but your mileage is going to vary based on tv size/sitting location with a 25% res boost that is starting from 1800c which already looks decent. 

Also a difference you can take either way, all cinemas play out in 30fps on the ps5 version, an artistic choice by the developers. If you play the ps4 version on ps5, you also get the real time cinemas running at 60fps. Some

cinemas in it are pre-rendered and will run at 30 still, but most aren’t.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:10 PM, best3444 said:

If you own a ps5 the upgrades will make that game play great. I really enjoyed it at its initial release and one of my favs that year.

Game play was already great on PS4. Don't get me wrong, 60fps is awesome, but this game was incredible from day 1.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:41 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I feel like it was free on PS Plus at one point. I could be wrong... it's been on sale several times though.

Its free on the PS+ collection on ps5.

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm currently playing Valhalla and came upon this video. Valhalla is superior in everything imo except the combat. @stepee

I started it and got to England last year but it’s just such a damn long game and not one of the AC themes that interest me the most. It’s something that I’ll get back to if I crave more AC but not super high on my backlog list.

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

ive played both and feel ghost is better in basically every way. valhalla was weak imo.

I've played both and feel the opposite. Valhalla is extremely well done for a massive open world game with a beautiful open world to explore. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ghost a lot but Valhalla is better imo. 

17 hours ago, best3444 said:

I've played both and feel the opposite. Valhalla is extremely well done for a massive open world game with a beautiful open world to explore. Don't get me wrong, I loved Ghost a lot but Valhalla is better imo. 

You might be the only person I've heard say that. Valhalla is good, but not nearly as good as GoT, imo.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

No definitely not. Superior in every way? Come on now. Valhalla is fun, but overall it's a bloated mess. Ghost is extremely tight.

Valhalla is extremely tight for being so massive, too. You stick to the main story line and it is very focused and really well done. I loved Ghost of Tsushima a lot and when I say it was superior in every way I meant from the video I posted. Every category they went through Valhalla did it better except combat. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Valhalla is extremely tight for being so massive, too. You stick to the main story line and it is very focused and really well done. I loved Ghost of Tsushima a lot and when I say it was superior in every way I meant from the video I posted. Every category they went through Valhalla did it better except combat. 

High praise... I still need to beat Odyssey.  I own Valhalla but never booted it up. Origins took ke forever to beat.

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

I mean, I disagree. Valhalla is bloated, the story is bloated, the characters are mostly forgettable, the world is way too big. It looks pretty, but so does GoT. I don't need to watch a vid, I beat both. 

The only thing Valhalla does better is climbing, imo. Otherwise  the game needed at leadt 25+ hours cut from it. Eivor is the only interesting character in the game. Every area story arc is structured exactly the same. Theres just nothing tight about it, imo.

• Like 1