I’ve posted this before, but to ask again, do you like your job?

gamer.tv

I’m still firmly a yes. Two years of teaching children later and it was the best call of my life to retrain as a 30 year old. Even better as I’ve had some rubbish jobs, it gives me a good amount of perspective on how great the job is, which I can’t say for all teachers. Even when it flips over to having to do some 60+ hour weeks, they are rare and usually my own fault. Plus, I get 13 weeks a year off as holiday.

How about yourself?

I actually do enjoy the work, generally, it just doesn't pay well enough for me to want to stick around too much longer.

I'm working as basically a contractor for IT support at Intel. It has been very interesting to learn more about the hardware side than I picked up in my CS studies, and they've got me in the team lead position so I'm getting some good leadership experience. My coworkers are also good, and even management is tolerable. Plus, as a long-time computer geek, it has been really cool to be involved in a company that's such a key part of the industry, and getting to play around with hardware before it's publicly available (CPUs, GPUs, servers, etc.) has been really fun. However, it's not really the field I originally thought I would go into, given my CS degrees, and I don't think I'm being compensated fairly (near-daily decisions I make can cost Intel hundreds of thousands of dollars if I make a mistake). I'm only getting paid $48k/year. Which isn't terrible in itself, but with the cost of living around here, wanting to retire someday, the amount of responsibility, and my degrees hopefully offering better alternatives, I don't think I'll be sticking around here too much longer. As a contractor, they always just claim their hands are tied when it comes to raises so I don't see the situation improving. 

• 3 months later...

To bump my own thread, one week of work then it’s our Easter holidays, another perk of teaching. Downside is I have about 3 hours of work that needs getting ready for tomorrow and I need to take my daughter out for the day and then help clean as we’re having photos of our house taken by an estate agent on Monday. Late one tonight it is then. 

I'll bite on this. I quite enjoy my job and am good at it, but I'm also underpaid and overqualified. I was managing our IT department, but then found myself whittled down to a systems engineer after multiple acquisitions. Went from managing IT for a $400m company, to managing the IT needs of my specific division post acquisition by an $8b company, to being an individual contributer in the broader IT org of a $22b company... all in the span of like 3 years. It's been a ride.

Full work from home with negative pressure you return to the office, even with my girls going crazy around me; a great team of colleagues; and not terrible pay for a fully remote position is most of what's kept me on the team. A good salary review and some upward mobility would keep me happy and on board for years to come.

I’m in a weird spot now. I like my current job well enough, about as much as I could enjoy a traditional 9-5 job. I get paid enough to get by, but not really save much. I could probably move up soon if I wanted, but I know myself well enough to know that a management position would make me miserable. So there isn’t much of a future for me here long term, but I imagine I would be in a similar situation if I went to do the same thing at a different company. 

3 minutes ago, Rachel said:

It’s decent. I like the company a lot. The job itself is pretty good. It gets mentally exhausting being on the phone all day as an introvert. I hope to switch to something more back office. Oh and I wish they paid more lol. 

I remember when I used to work on a customer facing phone line - it was shattering. I was lucky that I was picked up to move to a different role temporarily and then permanently after about 6 months of me so, helping new starters within the company get to grips with everything, give them coaching and mainly ensure they didn’t quit in less than 90 days. 

I work at a gay night club now. It's honestly the easiest job I've ever had and also pays right up there with the highest paying job I've ever had. I think. Probably. I've only been there a month and this is the south so they think people who make tips don't deserve wages, so it's volatile as fuck. I think I made like $100 the entire week following Mardi gras when all the tourists leave and the city basically goes into a week long hangover.

45 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I work at a gay night club now. It's honestly the easiest job I've ever had and also pays right up there with the highest paying job I've ever had. I think. Probably. I've only been there a month and this is the south so they think people who make tips don't deserve wages, so it's volatile as fuck. I think I made like $100 the entire week following Mardi gras when all the tourists leave and the city basically goes into a week long hangover.

That’s hardly enough to get your nails done. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Absolutely no one should ever "like" their job.

You should always view it as a means to an end in order to support those aspects of you life that you should like.

While I get that the “if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life” idea is unrealistic nonsense, should we really just be resigned to being miserable for a significant percentage of our lives? Especially those of us who will never make enough to actually retire?

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You should always view it as a means to an end in order to support those aspects of you life that you should like.

English is a clumsy language. I think there's a clear difference between "I like my job and doing this work with these people doesn't make me want to self-defenestrate" and "I like my job and am loyal to the company that employs me". Fuck the second sentiment, but we should all want to be in the first group.

I like my job in the sense that I don't mind working here and with these people up to the point where I had a better job offer on the table.

I really do now. A year ago, not so much. I love my 4/10 schedule, I love that I understand (mostly) what my crew does and gaining the respect and forming bonds with my guys has been awesome. My management team is very supportive and there is a ton of room to grow within the company

Changing companies and career after 18 years was daunting but I love the new challenge. I was bored af where I was before. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hard disagree. If I didn't like my job I probably would be homeless. I have always quit anything I didn't like, it used to drive my parents crazy when I was younger.. I never stuck anything out I disliked. Even if it meant no means of income.  You name it, I probably tried working it between the age of 17 -23