Media Roundup of the Best Games of 2021

Commissar SFLUFAN

It's that Most Wonderful Time of the Year when the media bestows upon us their rankings of the "best" games of the year!

First out of the starting blocks is Polygon:

The 50 Best Games of 2021

The Top 10:

10. Unsighted

09. Psychonauts 2

08. Wildermyth

07. Death's Door

06. Hitman 3

05. Resident Evil Village

04. Metroid Dread

03. Halo Infinite

02. Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Spoiler

01. Inscryption

Game Informer's Top 10 Games Of 2021

10. Psychonauts 2

09. Inscryption

08. It Takes Two

07. Forza Horizon 5

06. Life is Strange: True Colors

05. Metroid Dread

04. Returnal

03. Resident Evil Village

02. Deathloop

Spoiler

01. Halo Infinite

L.A. Times: The 10 essential games of 2021 that helped us define who we are now

10. Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery
09. Halo Infinite
08. Genesis Noir
07, Overboard
06. Last Call
05. Unpacking
04. Chicory: A Colorful Tale
03. Sable
02. Psychonauts 2

Spoiler

01, The Artful Escape

The New Yorker published a pretty fun list as well.  It's not in any order.

Best_Video_Games.png?mbid=social_retweet
WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

As the industry confronts its cultural failings, smaller, more independent games have stepped into the breach.

Spoiler

Radiohead: Kid A Mnesia Exhibition

Unpacking

Overboard

Wildermyth

Lake

Genesis Noir

Deathloop

Dorfromantik

Exo One

Toem

The Artful Escape

Returnal

2 hours ago, stepee said:

The Artful Escape huh? Anyone here play that?

I did. Loved it. It's a walking simulator with a few no failure Simon Says instances. It's best to go into the game for the interactive narrative with extraordinarily light platforming more than any gameplay mechanics.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I’m kinda sad not to see more Guardians on the lists, I think it earned a place for raising the bar for AAA action games on the quality of writing alone. I was just thinking now that is a game I would love some story based dlc for.

I'm surprised too. Now I'm thinking you guys over hyped the game! :p

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We didn't.  Game is amazing... ive never heard of 90% of the games on these lists.

Some of these are really weird additions. Exo One is a weirdly art house-esque barren planet explorer. The controls are unique. I gave it a couple of hours. I'm having a really hard time understanding that one. That person must have really enjoyed bouncing through valleys.

Behind the Frame I really enjoyed, but it's a simple point and click adventure game. While I really enjoyed it, I'm not convinced it's a top ten gaming experience. That's in spite of me buying it on day one because, as an old art school drop out, a point and click adventure about getting to know your neighbor through their paintings hits just the right spots for me.

Same goes for Lake. It's a walking simulator, but you're a temporary mail carrier. I'm weird though, so I also got this one on day one. It was good. That's about the best I can say. The ending was very disappointing, but only because the life choices here felt so limiting. Also, one of them shouldn't have even been an option for me. I felt my choices in the game were betrayed simply by presenting it as a legitimate option.

Unpacking might deserve a spot there. It actually tells a great little story through no dialog or visible characters. It's just a bunch of unpacking everytime your character moves to a new place. It's probably the oddest game here that probably deserves a spot because it does tell a nice, little, emotional story in a way that can only be told in games.

Itll be interesting when more come in and we see which games got the most awards and what the overall consensus for this year is. I’m thinking maybe Psychonauts 2 takes it.

Honestly for me I think it might just be Rachet as my favorite. It’s the most fun I had playing this year. Deathloop is actually close because I think it’s the best game I played this year and also definitely one of the most fun.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Same goes for Lake. It's a walking simulator, but you're a temporary mail carrier. I'm weird though, so I also got this one on day one. It was good. That's about the best I can say. The ending was very disappointing, but only because the life choices here felt so limiting. Also, one of them shouldn't have even been an option for me. I felt my choices in the game were betrayed simply by presenting it as a legitimate option.

I thought it was coming to game pass but it didn't end up happening, so I ended up not playing it. I would like to though.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I thought it was coming to game pass but it didn't end up happening, so I ended up not playing it. I would like to though.

I don't regret paying for it, but it would be a no brainer on Game Pass for anyone that has even a passing appreciation for walking sims...though in this one you're mainly driving a mail truck, so not exactly walking.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

I don't regret paying for it, but it would be a no brainer on Game Pass for anyone that has even a passing appreciation for walking sims...though in this one you're mainly driving a mail truck, so not exactly walking.

I'll probably get it eventually. I was holding out for a @Commissar SFLUFAN giveaway first but I didn't end up winning.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'll probably get it eventually. I was holding out for a @Commissar SFLUFAN giveaway first but I didn't end up winning.

Looks like Lake is actually coming to Game Pass later this week.

fjp3kidtl3ro1cnpnjfo.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

They’re paired with the notably not-chill-at-all Mortal Kombat 11

• Thanks 1

GOTG set a new bar for me for writing in a videogame. It's that good. Last of US 2 was as good in a different way. Thr characters talk a LOT in GOTG and you really don't want them to shut up. There were times I wished I could rewind to hear certain jokes. They really made those characters their own and their interpretation of Marvel Lore was clever in how they managed to make the team and this version of their world different from the comics and movies. 

38 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

GOTG set a new bar for me for writing in a videogame. It's that good. Last of US 2 was as good in a different way. Thr characters talk a LOT in GOTG and you really don't want them to shut up. There were times I wished I could rewind to hear certain jokes. They really made those characters their own and their interpretation of Marvel Lore was clever in how they managed to make the team and this version of their world different from the comics and movies. 

yes, i would just stand in the ship waiting for them to exhaust their dialogue because i didn't want to miss any! Mass Effect 3 did this a little bit, but GOTG is a whole other level. 

15 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm surprised too. Now I'm thinking you guys over hyped the game! :p

I would trust the word of the gamers here over a bunch of pretentious game critics/journalists any day of the week.

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

ive never heard of 90% of the games on these lists.

Exactly. It’s the same every year from so-called “professional” game critics, GotY lists full of artsy fartsy indie games that no one has ever heard of. :p

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I would trust the word of the gamers here over a bunch of pretentious game critics/journalists any day of the week.

Exactly. It’s the same every year from so-called “professional” game critics, GotY lists full of artsy fartsy indie games that no one has ever heard of. :p

What utter and complete bullshit :lol: